advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Today was my day to call Sirius about my yearly subscription.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 18, 2022 01:28PM
For the past year I have been paying $6.06/month, including tax, for my Sirius XM in the car.
My rate was set to go to like $21/month starting 3/5.
I had set a reminder in my calendar to call or chat them up, as I wasn’t paying over $20/month
I used the chat feature. Told the agent that my special offer was expiring and I didn’t want to pay the new higher rate.
He put me on hold and came back with an offer of $72 per year, plus tax, that I could pay either monthly or annually.
I opted for monthly, which worked out to around $7.50/month +/-.
I didn’t have to threaten to leave or anything. I felt like a slight price increase was fair, with inflation and all.
I was happy they offered a 12 month deal, so I don’t have to call but once a year.
I don’t get the sports channels, if that makes a difference.

Just thought some of you might be interested in my experience.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today was my day to call Sirius about my yearly subscription.
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: February 18, 2022 01:37PM
That's pretty much the same price I have with them. I guess that works out to $90 a year. Whether it's worth it or not is up to the listener. For myself it is. I'm interested in hearing from other forum members here.
Bemus
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 18, 2022 01:50PM
Mine comes out to $7.86/month. I called (will definitely try the chat feature next time), and they told me they couldn't do the same package (or maybe packages had changed), but the new one ("Music and Entertainment," I believe) had all the same channels and included streaming (which I've used most every day since it was first made available as part of the standard packages a year or two ago).

They definitely manage to eke out a few dollars more every year, but as you point out, rgG, there is inflation, and it's probably a little unrealistic for me to expect to not ever have to pay any more.

I listen to Sirius every time I drive my car (which is easily several hours every week), plus listen on my computer, in the shower (via a Google Home Mini), elsewhere via Amazon Echo Dots, and on my iPhone and iPad at random other times. I definitely find it worth the cost of a Starbucks drink (that's my measuring stick). :-)

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 18, 2022 02:16PM
I ended mine. I'm taking a break. I use the app mostly. I can listen to any station until they play Sugar Ray or Smashmouth. They must have some special deal with those two groups.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 18, 2022 02:34PM
I've mentioned my ordeal trying to get their public promotional price -- and failing that canceling that service -- in the past.

It not only took multiple chats/calls, but after it was canceled they reactivated the account without my permission and charged an ancient card that they had on file from many years ago. (Note for the recurring credit card charge thread - they didn't need to update the card number and CVV!!)

Every time I'm tempted by the $5/month plan, I think back to that and the temptation flies away.

Date: February 18, 2022 03:11PM
The UnDoug
Mine comes out to $7.86/month. I called (will definitely try the chat feature next time), and they told me they couldn't do the same package (or maybe packages had changed), but the new one ("Music and Entertainment," I believe) had all the same channels and included streaming (which I've used most every day since it was first made available as part of the standard packages a year or two ago).

They definitely manage to eke out a few dollars more every year, but as you point out, rgG, there is inflation, and it's probably a little unrealistic for me to expect to not ever have to pay any more.

I listen to Sirius every time I drive my car (which is easily several hours every week), plus listen on my computer, in the shower (via a Google Home Mini), elsewhere via Amazon Echo Dots, and on my iPhone and iPad at random other times. I definitely find it worth the cost of a Starbucks drink (that's my measuring stick). :-)

The “music and entertainment” plan is what mine is now called.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 18, 2022 03:27PM
I didn't even sign up for the free trial offer because I didn't want the hassle of canceling it. The only radio channels I programed into my radio are the three NPR stations (Gainesville, Tampa, Orlando). Most of the time I just have an audiobook playing.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: decay
Date: February 18, 2022 03:34PM
I was able to do it on the website recently, no call needed.

Sirius Music & Entertainment 6 Month $29.94

---
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 18, 2022 03:38PM
Tiangou

(Note for the recurring credit card charge thread - they didn't need to update the card number and CVV!!)

I had them issue a new card number and Squarespace was still allowed to bill my card. I told the card company that I could not log into my account so what was a paying for and the charge and billing was removed.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 18, 2022 04:24PM
rgG
For the past year I have been paying $6.06/month, including tax, for my Sirius XM in the car.
I had set a reminder in my calendar to call or chat them up, as I wasn’t paying over $20/month
I used the chat feature. Told the agent that my special offer was expiring and I didn’t want to pay the new higher rate.
He put me on hold and came back with an offer of $72 per year, plus tax, that I could pay either monthly or annually.
I didn’t have to threaten to leave or anything. I felt like a slight price increase was fair, with inflation and all.
I was happy they offered a 12 month deal, so I don’t have to call but once a year.

Does this include access to the streaming app?
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 18, 2022 04:36PM
I went through this Chat process last Wednesday after finishing up a second three month free trial. The Chat was easy enough, but they did try. Started out with reminding me that it would be $27.91 plus taxes and fees. Then went to a promotional rate of $8.25 plus fees and taxes for the next 12 months! And finally...

Jenny: We have an amazing offer on our Music and Entertainment plan! With this offer, you will get 12 months for $5.99 a month plus fees and taxes, instead of paying the current monthly rate of $17.99. Our Music and Entertainment plan allows you to listen in your vehicle, online and on our SiriusXM app. Like all our plans, this plan will automatically renew at the then current rates. Let me get you set up with this great offer today.
Jenny: This one doesn't includes Howard Stern and Live sports.
Jenny: It includes your favorite channels like The Bridge, Yah Rock, 70, 80s. (Yah Rock was a typo that she conveniently copy/pasted)
You: You don't seem to understand. There's no number you can ome up with that will make me think it's worth it FOR ME.
Jenny: I truly respect your decision. No worries, That is only an option since you been our valued customer. We can now proceed to your concern.

Then she proceeded with the cancellation. No issues.
Date: February 18, 2022 05:32PM
macphanatic
rgG

I think so.
I don’t use the app, as I get Sirius on my Dish, so in the house I can just use the TV, but I am pretty sure I could use the app.

Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: February 18, 2022 06:42PM
I did the same thing and am paying $7.78/mo. It's worth it for me. I really like the service.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: February 19, 2022 10:21AM
I've had 3 cars subscribed, each at $6.06/month, renewable once/year. I find it pretty easy to get the promotional amount renewed when I call. I have not tried the online chat, as I find it takes much longer.

We recently got rid of one car (cancelled the subscription) and bought a new one, which is on the free trial. Once the trial ends, I'll just use the streaming app via CarPlay and save the $72/year.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 19, 2022 04:42PM
macphanatic
rgG

I think all the plans include the streaming app now. I've been on the $5/month deal for years now, and it works fine. My renewal call/text for the year is tomorrow, actually...
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 20, 2022 09:23PM
LOL - it's renewal time here, too! Sad to hear the $5/month deal is no more …
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 20, 2022 09:40PM
bfd
LOL - it's renewal time here, too! Sad to hear the $5/month deal is no more …

The $5/month deal is still an option.

I get mail from them promoting it at least twice a week.

...Even though I asked them not to send me any mail and joined a class action lawsuit against them for sending unsolicited mail.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020