advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have experience with flat-panel LED undercabinet/undershelf lighting?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 18, 2022 04:32PM
I occasionally see sales on these kind of things ... LED lighting strips that I assume are meant for parties and whatnot, but I see that they also sell panels specifically made as a cheap way to get lighting under cabinets and/or shelves. I'm specifically thinking of my kitchen shelves, which could use additional light underneath, especially for cooking with counter appliances where the overhead lighting isn't enough ... I'd originally been thinking of mounting fluorescents under the shelves, just because I happen to have a bunch of spare fixtures/bulbs for those, but the LEDs might be better for various reasons.

Examples:

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

and if I want to get funky:

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

... I'd probably want something as thin as possible, because there isn't a lot of clearance underneath each shelf. So the "tape" style might be preferable, though I might also be concerned that the lighting would be too harsh.

Opinions?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have experience with flat-panel LED undercabinet/undershelf lighting?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 18, 2022 04:52PM
Those are good options. I’d use aluminum channel to protect strips.

Re: Anyone have experience with flat-panel LED undercabinet/undershelf lighting?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 18, 2022 05:14PM
I installed small (~6") rechargeable motion detector strips a few years back.
The light is good as is the md, but I like these solutions better.
Particularly the 4th one, LAFULIT.
The remote is a good add. Price is hard to beat.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 18, 2022 06:15PM
We bought these four years ago. Love 'em. Wave of the hand turns them on or off.

amz

Date: February 18, 2022 06:16PM
Yeah, at these prices, I feel like it's a bit of a no-brainer ... especially considering that many of them are modular, such that if the LEDs fail, you could just replace that particular section of strip.

The remote IS a nice touch, but it'd be especially nice to be able to change the color temperature. Something like this: [www.amazon.com]

Edit: lost in space's look nice too, but I don't really need the hand waving thing ... especially not if I have a remote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2022 06:17PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 18, 2022 06:29PM
Yup. Get the hardwired stuff. Rechargeable for the kitchen is useless. You will be charging up the light every 3-4 days. I tried the rechargeable route 6 months ago and it was a bust. I could not keep up with charging up all the lights all the time.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 18, 2022 06:41PM
The hand-waving thing comes in handy (see what I did there?) when you have kitchen stuff like water and food on you hands. We haven't used the dimming feature.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 18, 2022 07:18PM
I've put several LED lights in several kitchens. Based on my experience get a single long LED strip instead of short sections. You can easily cut the long one to length. On the short section ones, every connection is a potential failure point that has to be repaired, multiple times most likely. Keep jumps to a minimum.

If you want a dimmer, get the mechanical one. It will hold the brightness you like. The others have to reset constantly.

The remote will get lost.

The adhesive backing will not last on particleboard but will generally hold on smooth Formica or finished veneers.

I put the transformer inside a cabinet and just run the first jumper through a hole I drill.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Date: February 18, 2022 08:02PM
Ombligo, can the ribbon-type ones be cut and then jumpered? I'm seeing different answers on that one, and the problem is that the shelves are fairly widely spaced... so I'd want multiple panels that can all be turned on or off at once.

I'm not worried about losing the remote! I've still got the remote that goes with these LEDs (which are still going strong, by the way): [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: pdq
Date: February 18, 2022 08:36PM
PeterB
Ombligo, can the ribbon-type ones be cut and then jumpered?

Yeah, they can typically be cut at ~3” intervals. You can link the separate strips with any sort of wire (like the speaker wire I used).

I soldered the connections, which is a little tricky. The pads you have to solder to are small, and the strips are not super heat resistant. There may be ways other than soldering - I don’t know.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 18, 2022 08:39PM
PeterB
Ombligo, can the ribbon-type ones be cut and then jumpered?

They can be, but you'll want to be familiar with class 2 electrical codes. I found a lack of info on the topic but maybe thats due to the low current and lack of need for protection.

I'd use a dimmable transformer and a wall switch but I often take these things too far.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 19, 2022 05:10AM
Soldering is the best way to add extension wires, but non-solder jumpers are available. Search Amazon for LED Strip Jumpers. You can find an assortment of configurations, look at the description photos to see how they work.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 392
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020