advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Update Comcast Modem?
Posted by: Randalls
Date: February 18, 2022 05:53PM
Got a notification that I can return my Comcast owned Arris TG1682G modem at no expense for a “New Modem”. No other description of what modem they will send.

I cut the cable and dropped voice so now paying a flat $64 per month for streaming. I have an 8 port Trendnet switch.
They do NOT mention the name/model of the new router. I assume it will have better WiFi and be able to handle their updated speed (currently paying for 400 mbps but say I will be updated to 600 with no extra charge because they like me).

I am a firm believer in leave well enough alone and no good deed goes unpunished, but if I can get a better WiFi signal and still use my switch and WiFi to connect to Roku, Flex, Ooma, printer, iPads, etc. it sounds like a no brainer.

ALSO, I see no additional charge/rental fee for my current set up so do not intend on buying my own modem but I could be wrong about this. Just don’t think I may be able to set up my own router/modem without effing things up plus if it breaks they fix it and their tier one employees would be familiar with their product.

What say you?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Update Comcast Modem?
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 18, 2022 07:06PM
ALSO, I see no additional charge/rental fee for my current set up so do not intend on buying my own modem but I could be wrong about this.

I am surprised they don't charge you $7/month (or is it up to $10 now?) rental fee. I thought they implemented those fees a long time ago.

maybe this is how they trick you into returning the free rental modem and they start charging you the rental fee on the new one. new modem, new term$ and condition$.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 18, 2022 07:12PM
where do you live that they are not charging you a fee for using their modem?

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: February 18, 2022 07:25PM
West of Indianapolis. They listed separate charges on an itemized bill for Triple Play which included modem rental/dvr and other up charges. When I cut the cable they said this was a flat rate although I do pay 97 cents tax. Much better than the add on charges in the past. The web site says there is no up charge for the swap. I have no problem with the older Arris so am concerned with them sending me something less reliable but it could also be faster and have better WiFi range.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 18, 2022 07:56PM
gadje
ALSO, I see no additional charge/rental fee for my current set up so do not intend on buying my own modem but I could be wrong about this.

I am surprised they don't charge you $7/month (or is it up to $10 now?) rental fee. I thought they implemented those fees a long time ago.

maybe this is how they trick you into returning the free rental modem and they start charging you the rental fee on the new one. new modem, new term$ and condition$.

Our modem/wi-fi router rental is $14 in Seattle. I own my own.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: February 18, 2022 08:34PM
Yeah, another reason I don’t want to mess with them
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 18, 2022 08:46PM
The TG1682G is DOCSIS 3.

It can handle 600Mbps without an upgrade. That's roughly where that modem tops out.

They may already have provisioned you for 600Mbps if your account qualifies. Comcast tends to do stuff like that. But often the modem needs to be rebooted to pick up the change.

Pull the power and leave it unplugged for 5 minutes. Then plug it back in. Leave it for a half hour. Then go to speedtest.net in a browser and see what speed you get.

...Comcast is offering free upgrades to DOCSIS 3 or DOCSIS 3.1 modems for many customers in an effort to take old and inefficient DOCSIS 2 modems offline. I haven't heard of them making that kind of offer to someone who already has a DOCSIS 3 modem and I'm suspicious.

Date: February 19, 2022 10:29AM
I will probably run a line to the Roku I want to use in the basement. I currently get what I pay for at 400 mbps down. I really don’t like interacting with Comcast due to past issues. It is intriguing to think that I might get better WiFi range but if I hardware the basement it would not be as attractive. I will try the reboot with fingers crossed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 530
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020