Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PHEV-ish
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 19, 2022 04:07PM
been looking into a new set of wheels.
I prefer a sedan, but round here, it's all SUV and becoming uncomfortable trying to see what's coming.

I'm interested in a PHEV, but wonder if anyone here has PHEV'd in the last couple years and found it to be advantageous, fiscally, environmentally and tech-wise. Or are you sorry you gave up your Yugo or '69 ZL1.

Gas vs electric bill, L2 charger, getting on a short ramped hi way, around town, on the road, blah, blah, blah.

I just looked at the NYS incentives for a mid-level PHEV SUV and it was a $ loss over 5 years.
Not very electrifying. Even with gas creeping to $4 and I doubt the cost of E will be going down any time soon.

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PHEV-ish
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 19, 2022 04:13PM
Right now is a bad time to buy. Low inventory and lots of vehicles are selling above MSRP because of it.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: February 19, 2022 04:22PM
yea, that's for sure. it may be a year before, but got to start research at some point. Like medicare.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 19, 2022 04:26PM
I love my 2013 Volt. Just put in an alert to Carvana for a 2019 as they should start coming off lease right about now. lousy time to actually pull the trigger though.

i went from $125 or so a month in gas to a $12 increase in my electric bill. the math works.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 19, 2022 05:44PM
graylocks
I love my 2013 Volt. Just put in an alert to Carvana for a 2019 as they should start coming off lease right about now. lousy time to actually pull the trigger though.

i went from $125 or so a month in gas to a $12 increase in my electric bill. the math works.

I'm loving my 2017 Volt also. EV aside, the car is the most comfortable, quiet, technologically advance car I have owned. Keeps up with anything on the highway, feels fast if driven that way.
I put gas in it 5 times since September, computer says 109.6 MPG since I bought it. Where gray locks added $12 +/- to his electric bill, I don't have one. My solar panels provide more than I need. Now I'm waiting for Subaru's EV as a possible upgrade to my wife's Crosstrek, or maybe Hyundai's Ioniq 5 or Kia's EV6.
No car is cost effective as a want. A need is a different story however.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2022 08:39PM by DinerDave.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 19, 2022 06:29PM
Besides the Volt, no hybrid has ever made sense to me, at least fiscally. The cost of purchase far outweighs the savings in gas. But people buy them...

Personally, we took a long hard look at our use case and ended up going full EV with our Bolt for our primary vehicle. We have a Subaru Crosstrek that is there for the outlier trips, but I honestly dont think we need that anymore other than it has AWD for the worst weather days.

We have a Tacoma, which we probably don't really need. A simple trailer or occasional rental could probably meet our needs just fine.

Then there's our camper van...which gets about 1500 miles of use a year. We camp close by...

Looking at miles driven over the last year for our other vehicles:

Bolt EV: 8500 miles
Crosstrek: 2400 miles
Tacoma: 900 miles

E-Bikes: 2600 total miles

I would encourage more people to do soul searching about what you really need.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2022 06:31PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: p8712
Date: February 19, 2022 07:26PM
Bolt.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: February 19, 2022 07:33PM
Wife & I are very happy with our 2018 Toyota Prius Prime PHEV. 30+ miles on full battery charge, then ICE kicks in (also assists in high demand accel and running defroster). 65+ MPG. Full tank lasts a long time (300+mi) at highway speed. Wife says the interior appointments are better than those in her mom's 2020 Toyota Camry XLE.

Only current issue is the 'back up warning beep' when in Reverse gear; it only sounds INSIDE the prius, not at all outside. This is a dangerous non-feature with a mostly silent vehicle in a parking lot. It may have been corrected since 2018, but I won't bet on it. The beeper can be turned off but that just keeps your sanity intact, doesn't help pedestrians nearby...

The "Lane Nanny" feature is hair-trigger sensitive, and continues beeping long after steering correction is applied. It can be turned off as well

After 3 years, the battery is starting to fade a little (longer to charge, faster discharge in use), but not badly.

YMMV of course

=TC
Date: February 19, 2022 07:39PM
TheCaber
Wife & I are very happy with our 2018 Toyota Prius Prime PHEV. 30+ miles on full battery charge, then ICE kicks in (also assists in high demand accel and running defroster). 65+ MPG. Full tank lasts a long time (300+mi) at highway speed. Wife says the interior appointments are better than those in her mom's 2020 Toyota Camry XLE.

I'm surprised your range on the highway is that bad. My '13 Prius Plug-In gets 400+ miles on the freeway. Did they shrink the fuel tank? I usually cruise about 70ish around western Washington, and about 75ish in eastern Washington. I run it down until the car says my range is about 0, and I put in just over 8 gallons. It is a 10? gallon tank. Never run fuel injected vehicles out of fuel. The "reserve" fuel in the tank is to cool the electric in-tank fuel pump.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2022 07:42PM by Racer X.
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 19, 2022 09:59PM
I'm betting it's been discussed Ad nauseam in the past, but with so many people loving their Volts, why the heck would Chevy stop making them?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 19, 2022 10:19PM
Going to be worse soon with gas prices climbing. Electrics might never drop in price again.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: February 20, 2022 08:31AM
wurm
I'm betting it's been discussed Ad nauseam in the past, but with so many people loving their Volts, why the heck would Chevy stop making them?

Because times change? The Volt was good car but the Bolt is a better car. The next generation of Chevy EVs built on their new platform should be even better, with faster quick charging times. Plus there's a lot of other options coming online besides Tesla.

Gasoline in my area has been over $5 bucks a gallon for a year now. The situation with Russia will likely push prices to the highest levels ever. I don't see myself ever buying a dinosaur powered vehicle again.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Date: February 20, 2022 08:39AM
Markintosh
I don't see myself ever buying a dinosaur powered vehicle again.

what if it was pterodactyl powered?

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 20, 2022 10:52AM
Markintosh
Because times change? The Volt was good car but the Bolt is a better car.

The Bolt is better and suitable for those whose needs suit a full EV. The Volt was a better transition vehicle for those of us whose needs outstrip the current and immediately foreseeable future charging infrastructure.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 20, 2022 02:18PM
graylocks
Markintosh
Because times change? The Volt was good car but the Bolt is a better car.

The Bolt is better and suitable for those whose needs suit a full EV. The Volt was a better transition vehicle for those of us whose needs outstrip the current and immediately foreseeable future charging infrastructure.

agree smiley

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 20, 2022 04:50PM
Markintosh

We have a Tacoma, which we probably don't really need. A simple trailer or occasional rental could probably meet our needs just fine.

Tacoma: 900 miles

We have a 2016 Tacoma with double doors and long bed that we paid $30,000 for new. When I had the oil changed in the fall the used car manager came up to me and offered my $25,000 for it (with 48,000 miles). I would have sold it in an instant if we had a third vehicle. So, depending on the age/miles of your Tacoma now might be a good time to sell it if you really don't need it.
Date: February 20, 2022 06:29PM
I still wonder if anyone is going to make a small to not quite midsize truck that is AWD by way of a standard hybrid FWD drivetrain, and a rear on-demand electric axle, and have a flat battery pack under the whole bed.

Toyota does the AWD Rav4 hybrid with this drive train. Would make a good fleet delivery vehicle with a canopy.

[www.youtube.com]
Date: February 20, 2022 07:50PM
Michael

So, depending on the age/miles of your Tacoma now might be a good time to sell it if you really don't need it.

We bought it for 10.5k a little over two years ago and could likely sell it now for $14k. It's nuts.

We have some significant snow coming in and my wife is out of town with the Subaru. It looks like the Tacoma will be my daily driver for a day or two if there are R2 chain requirements.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 20, 2022 08:38PM
wurm

Too costly to build. The month GM stopped making the Volt it was the second best selling battery type car after Tesla’s offerings.

Our 2013 Volt got one fill last year and our 2014 Cadillac ELR PHEV is now recharging in the family driveway in Mexico City with one stop in Florida and another in Texas, in both states we plugged in at our week-long stays at motels overnight (plus many short gas breaks to fill its nine gallon gas tank) - with a PHEV it’s win-win.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2022 08:41PM by Speedy.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 21, 2022 07:06AM
Wife and I just returned from a trip to Spokane for the weekend. We drove her 2015 Volt. Took 2 tanks of gas but we averaged 39mpg at 75mph for 3.5 hours each way. We were able to charge at our friends farm while we were there. Definitely the best cars I’ve ever personally owned.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020