advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What am I going to HAVE TO change with 5G?
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 23, 2022 05:20AM
At my age I don’t want to shift, change, upgrade. Happy with my OS and computers and older software. What am I going to be forced to change or upgrade?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What am I going to HAVE TO change with 5G?
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 23, 2022 07:32AM
Maybe nothing at all.

5G is nowhere near omnipresent and 5G-capable phones will be dropping back to 4G LTE nearly all the time unless you're lucky enough to be within eyesight of a 5G cell tower or repeater. This will happen automatically.

When you replace your phone in the ordinary course, you're eventually going to end up with a 5G-capable phone. When you have access to a 5G network, it might be faster at web-browsing or allow for faster framerates with certain types of online-games.

5G does suck more power. You might consider turning off 5G and to use 4G LTE to save battery.

4G hotspots are already pretty popular as an alternative to cable/DSL. (I wouldn't trade FiOS for 4G.) Since 5G is potentially faster than 4G, you may see more people replacing their cable/DSL Internet service with hotspots.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 23, 2022 08:19AM
"5G" only exists in city centers right now, and only a few cities. They kept 3G alive for 20 years. I expect 4G will stay alive as long.

Also some 5G has issues getting through walls.

my city supposedly went to "5G'... I see no difference in my 5G capable iPhone 13Pro on Verizon.
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 23, 2022 08:35AM
TV news is touting 5G problems shutting down lower G services. Many will be questioning like me.

cbelt3
"5G" only exists in city centers right now, and only a few cities. They kept 3G alive for 20 years. I expect 4G will stay alive as long.

Also some 5G has issues getting through walls.

my city supposedly went to "5G'... I see no difference in my 5G capable iPhone 13Pro on Verizon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2022 08:36AM by samintx.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 23, 2022 09:58AM
I am not an iPhone expert but it looks like any phone not new enough to support LTE will soon be dead. Any iPhone/iPad with primary EV-DO/EDGE connectivity will lose reception.

First models with LTE were:
iPhone 5
iPad 4

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 23, 2022 10:54AM
The one problem that 5G might cause for you is a side effect, and that's the shutting down of 3G networks to make room for 5G. If you have any older cellular devices they may not work anymore.

For iPhones, most carriers these days require an iPhone 6s or newer in order to be activated on their network.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 23, 2022 12:20PM
Many vehicles built before the 2016 model year will lose built in accident notification/towing/roadside assistance/etc. This is assuming the manufacturer doesn't have an upgrade module. Mine doesn't the last I heard. They would rather you buy a new car than deal with that old piece of crap that's out of warranty.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: dk62
Date: February 23, 2022 01:39PM
Regarding coverage, I have to say I have it in most areas where I spend time, which are mainly suburban Northern and Western New Jersey, Bucks County PA, and New Haven.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 23, 2022 01:53PM
I live in a very small, rural town, and we have 5G. I never used to have reception at my house, but now have one bar smiling smiley
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 23, 2022 02:46PM
ATT put a 5G box on a pole 100 yards away, but the solid brick walls of this old house will pretty much reduce any chance of using it. But I was not planning to change to ATT anyway.

Would love to have a little 5G detector to see if the service gets into the house, but mostly for curiosity sake. Would want to borrow the detector because once I know, I don't need to use it again.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 23, 2022 04:20PM
Basically what Tiangou said. You DIDN'T say WHAT iPhone you currently have. Generally speaking, an iPhone has a usable lifespan of 5 ~ 7 years (I'd say anything over 5 years is pushing it AND, you might need to pony up $$ for a new battery after year 3). As mentioned, 4G will be with us and viable for years to come. You could watch for a GREAT deal on say an iPhone 11 or 12, possibly getting your carrier to cover some/most/all of the cost of said upgrade that you'll "earn" by committing to said carrier for 12 ~ 36 months.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 23, 2022 06:35PM
dk62
Regarding coverage, I have to say I have it in most areas where I spend time, which are mainly suburban Northern and Western New Jersey, Bucks County PA, and New Haven.

It's probably still 4G LTE.

They've "upgraded" service to "5G" primarily by relabeling 4G. They relabeled 3G as "4G" back in the day, too. "Instant upgrade!"

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 24, 2022 04:48AM
Tiangou
dk62

It's probably still 4G LTE.

They've "upgraded" service to "5G" primarily by relabeling 4G. They relabeled 3G as "4G" back in the day, too. "Instant upgrade!"

I've noticed that with my new phone. According to it, EVERYWHERE is magically 5G now. Even though it sucks just as bad as it did before. So I would think that's actually a disservice to 5G.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020