advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Car in shop for minor paint touch ups for 2 weeks????
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 23, 2022 05:28AM
I have been living out of my freezer for two weeks hoping any day my car will be ready. They must have only one person doing repairs in the shop. One place I got an estimate from Feb 1 said it would be May 1 for a repair appointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feb to may before repairs could be started?

I immediately left and went to a good place that could take my car within 2 weeks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Car in shop for minor paint touch ups for 2 weeks????
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 23, 2022 05:43AM
We just got our car back yesterday after 15 days. It was a literal fender-bender that required a new fender (remarkably cheap at $131 for an OEM Honda fender) and a very small touch-up on the bumper. We were told back in early Dec that it would take a week to do but they couldn't get us in until Feb 8, 2 months later. We brought it in and were called twice a week with an update. Three days after it went in, they had ordered parts so that implies they had taken it apart to be sure there wasn't underlying damage. Three days later it went to paint. And there it sat for 8 days, being painted. Finally yesterday morning we got a call that it went to trim reinstall and by the late afternoon it was done. We wouldn't have been bothered by the extra time but it would have been really nice to have been told upfront that they've got labor problems (or whatever the problem turned out to be). On the positive side, they detailed in inside and out and it looked as good as it every had looked!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 23, 2022 06:45AM
The good shop was probably the one backed up till May. But in general, it is a problem nationwide. I don't even bother taking our camper in for warranty work unless it is something crazy expensive because it isn't worth the downtime.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 23, 2022 08:09AM
causes:
1- Repair parts are not available.
2- Service shops are short handed.

Root causes:
Too many people died from COVID-19. (That's terrible)
Too many people are retiring (Good for them !)
Too many people are getting better jobs after years of being underpaid. (Also good for them !)
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 23, 2022 09:21AM
For us, it was a lot of big and some deep scratches, as well as front and rear bumpers. Had to wait a month to get in, and then it was about a week.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 23, 2022 09:43AM
cbelt3
causes:

Root causes:
Too many people are getting better jobs after years of being underpaid. (Also good for them !)

This covers the bases for pretty much all industries right now.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 23, 2022 09:52AM
Zoidberg
cbelt3
causes:

Root causes:

This covers the bases for pretty much all industries right now.

I think with the pandemic people finally either realized or had the motivation to better themselves. There is a good amount of people who think they can't get a better job so they never try. This gave them a kick in the rear to try and do something outside their comfort zone. Many found that they thrived with more responsibility or a better work environment.

I think going forward we are going to see many retail/food service stores close as their business model won't support high wages. Which is fine, we don't need 3 coffee shops on every block or 20 different fast food places, or a drugstore every mile.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: February 23, 2022 10:21AM
Good thing it wasn't a Tesla. The repair would have taken two months if you're lucky.

Bemus
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 23, 2022 11:03AM
Just dropped off the minivan to have a transmission leak diagnosed.

Had to wait a month to get an appointment at the recommended shop.

My independent mechanic's shop doesn't do transmission repair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2022 11:04AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 23, 2022 11:35AM
Sounds to me like 'minor paint touch ups' aren't worth this much hassle. Find a place that will hold on to your car for only a couple of days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2022 11:35AM by mattkime.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 23, 2022 01:07PM
mattkime
Sounds to me like 'minor paint touch ups' aren't worth this much hassle. Find a place that will hold on to your car for only a couple of days.

I miss Earl Scheib...

"I'll paint any car ! And if you leave your windows open I'll paint the interior !"
Posted by: Cary
Date: February 23, 2022 08:57PM
My shop (A transmission shop) has been running way behind due to multiple factors - parts and supplies availability, shipping delays, a huge up tick in demand...

We used to get cars in and out in 2-3 days. Now, 5 days is quick, and one to 2 weeks is common...
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 23, 2022 09:18PM
Everything seems like it is backed up for weeks if not months, even if you "know" someone. Close to living in a third world country right now when it comes to services …
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 23, 2022 09:42PM
bfd
Everything seems like it is backed up for weeks if not months, even if you "know" someone. Close to living in a third world country right now when it comes to services …

Except the mechanics aren't out back cooking food in an old hubcap over a scrap wood fire.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 24, 2022 08:57AM
Matt,

That's the thing. Lead times on repairs - even a minor touchup - has increased tremendously for a slew of reasons. If you can find a shop that will do the job correctly in just a day or two, more power to you. Around here? Good luck with that!

A mechanic told me one of the reasons that has had a significant impact is that people who would have replaced a car are now choosing to keep their vehicle and put some bucks into it to buy them time for a replacement to finally arrive or until such a time that the delays in obtaining the vehicle he/she wants are no longer a factor.

I was shopping for a replacement for my '09 CX-7 right at the beginning of the pandemic. Ended up holding off due to the extenuating circumstances. Now? Definitely not replacing it unless something horrible happens because I know finding the car I want in the correct configuration and color is going to be tough. And, I'll have to pay that much more for it because of the times.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020