advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AAPL - Where Do You Think The Bottom Is?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 23, 2022 03:07PM
Yeah, I know. Don't try to catch a falling knife and all that jazz.

I'm considering adding to my position, but I want to be near the bottom when I buy.

I know world politics are having a huge effect on the market right now. Seems to me this is just a blip on the radar and some pretty nice bargains are appearing for the investing crowd.

What does YOUR crystal ball say? Buy? Sell? Hold? Jump off a high building? dunno smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AAPL - Where Do You Think The Bottom Is?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 23, 2022 03:23PM
Everything’s a gift right now. It may go lower and it may not. Like you alluded to, there’s no way to predict the bottom. Everyone would like to buy near the bottom. But in that hesitation the vast majority will miss getting in on a good deal. If it were me and I had deployable cash right now, I’d be going all in.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 23, 2022 03:45PM
aapl is unique - there hasn't been a 20%+ correction in a while. THe easiest place to point to is the recent $141.50 low from last sept, but really... who knows...

a brief glimpse at the chart looks like the last +20% drop was march 2020 and dropped down to $57.31... that seems unlikely, but who knows.

A real war in europe especially with China hitching to Russia... it could get really ugly and not just for aapl or the stock markets.

What if China decides to boot evil foreigners?

My secret fear is that China will play hardball with Apple one day and tell them to either get out or move the company to China.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 23, 2022 03:46PM
It and most other stocks will fall until the Ukraine situation is concluded one way or the other.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 23, 2022 03:54PM
hal

What if China decides to boot evil foreigners?

For all intents and purposes, that has already happened, although I do not believe that they are actually kicking people out. They are however, not letting new people come in, unless it's for something like the Olympics, or perhaps a few favored business executives etc. They're also restricting their own people. They're basically no longer issuing passports to those who want them for tourist purposes. You need to be a business or student to get a passport there now. Even student passports are supposedly looked at with a jaundiced eye by regional politicians there.
Date: February 23, 2022 04:11PM
No one can consistently predict the bottom. But we are at historical lows percentage wise (depending on the exact metric maybe more, maybe less). When certain funds or stocks start hitting the 50% mark, it's always a good time to buy. You're not going to care about missing out on a few percentage points when it bounces back in a few months or a few years. Most people I know hesitate and then miss out all together because as things start climbing, they think that they missed the bottom, and so lose interest. And the cycle keeps on repeating. People think they’ve missed out on the bottom, and so tell themselves they’ll wait for the next bottom. And so on, and so on.

It's like when we bought Tesla back in 2016. We didn't get in on the bottom. It had already 10x at that point. But we knew it was still at a sale price then. Kinda like it is now. To this date, almost none of our friends and family have bought Tesla. And right now it's on sale too.

Opportunities like this are rare in an investment career. Dotcom bubble, 2008 financial crisis, Covid, now this Russia-Ukraine thing.

We are tapped out, otherwise we'd be going all in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2022 04:14PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 23, 2022 04:53PM
Ombligo
It and most other stocks will fall until the Ukraine situation is concluded one way or the other.

This. We're not buying any stocks/funds right now. We'll likely miss the bottom but it turn out we hate losing what we have more than we dislike missing a move up.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 23, 2022 05:23PM
I'm going broke buying TSLA. Everytime it dips I buy 1-2 more shares. I started out with about 30 shares of SolarCity and ended up with 4 shares of TSLA. It has since split and I've added to my position multiple times.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: February 23, 2022 05:38PM
Going broke saving money!
Date: February 23, 2022 06:08PM
ztirffritz
I'm going broke buying TSLA. Everytime it dips I buy 1-2 more shares. I started out with about 30 shares of SolarCity and ended up with 4 shares of TSLA. It has since split and I've added to my position multiple times.

smiley-laughing001

Seriously though, I can almost smell the fear out there. What's my favorite Warren Buffet Quote?

"I will tell you how to become rich. Close the doors. Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."

Some great thoughts in the thread. I appreciate your participation. I may jump in tomorrow for my first dip into 2022!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 23, 2022 06:11PM
Looking at the current price, I'm thinking of jumping in. Haven't traded since the early 80s when I sold my few Apple shares. What do y'all like for trading Apple?

Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 23, 2022 07:13PM
Wait a month and check the price.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 23, 2022 07:15PM
the Dow is resting on weak support, so this may be a bottom.
Closed on a lower low.
The MAs are all trending lower except the 200D.
But I'd wait for a little Dow bounce before I got in.
Safe than sorry.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 23, 2022 07:31PM
I'm thinking to see what the Ukraine crisis will bring to the Dow.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 24, 2022 12:35AM
LOL I can't tell you where the low will be, but I can tell you where the high was -- $180, which was exactly when I dumped a ton of cash into AAPL. I think it literally started dropping in value the day after I did that.

I am firmly strapped in to ride this one out. Just hope it won't take too long to recoup those losses...

It is what it is.
Date: February 24, 2022 07:09AM
I think Speedy was mostly in cash after selling off his Tesla shares back in January at $1200, with the intention of buying back in in February if things dip. Helluva buying opportunity right now (for stocks in general) for people sitting on cash.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 24, 2022 08:07AM
$160.07
6.85%
-11.77 5D

Pre-market:$154.19
(3.67%)

---
Date: February 24, 2022 08:09AM
Was worse than that a while ago. Tesla was even below $700.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 24, 2022 08:51AM
as others have said, until there is some kind of stability in the Ukraine ....

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: raz
Date: February 24, 2022 09:33AM
The Rules of Acquisition:

34 War is good for business.
35 Peace is good for business.

That said, I have no idea.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 24, 2022 09:46AM
Zero.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 24, 2022 10:27AM
....Boystown [ lotsa bottoms and tops ]....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 24, 2022 12:16PM
The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets.
Date: February 24, 2022 12:23PM
freeradical
The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets.

The blood from everyone trying to catch a falling knife.

I bought a few shares of AAPL for my daughter's IRA. It'll go back up.
Date: February 24, 2022 12:29PM
Just in for 50 more shares!

Then, they went down $50. a few minutes later. smiley-laughing001

Posted by: rgG
Date: February 24, 2022 02:19PM
I refuse to even open Etrade this week.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 24, 2022 02:51PM
Looks like the answer might have been $152.00
Date: February 24, 2022 02:57PM
152, 162, it ain’t gonna matter much when Apple stock’s hovering around 200 later this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2022 02:58PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: February 24, 2022 06:45PM
Carnos Jax
152, 162, it ain’t gonna matter much when Apple stock’s hovering around 200 later this year.

It will only be $40.

(after a 5:1 split)
Date: February 24, 2022 07:04PM
my bad dawg
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 24, 2022 09:42PM
Carnos Jax
I think Speedy was mostly in cash after selling off his Tesla shares back in January at $1200, with the intention of buying back in in February if things dip. Helluva buying opportunity right now (for stocks in general) for people sitting on cash.

Good memory, Carnos Jax! But I screwed that up. I was sitting on a fair pile of cash after selling TSLA (20% of our total worth, not just our stock portfolio). But my brokerage is Robinhood and I wasn’t happy with how their stock was diving, there being no protection whatsoever on cash held by the broker should they fail, so I bought PG, then MSFT (losing 1.8% and 4.4% respectively). I’m down about 8% overall with my total holdings which would have covered our living expenses for about six months (we live cheap, are retired and everything is paid for). I should have transferred the cash to my bank account right after selling…

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2022 09:44PM by Speedy.
Date: February 24, 2022 10:01PM
Damn bro, you’re still my hero though for timing the TSLA sale back in January….don’t know many that can claim that!
Posted by: stephen
Date: February 25, 2022 08:33AM
I tried to do a limit order at $153, but it was already way up from there by the time I tried. Maybe next time.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: February 25, 2022 08:36AM
rgG
I refuse to even open Etrade this week.

Yeah, I logged into my Fidelity Thursday morning and wanted to cry. After I heard the market rebounded a bit, I checked back and felt a teeny bit better. Still down about 9% from it's all time high a few weeks ago.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 25, 2022 10:50AM
Carnos Jax
Damn bro, you’re still my hero though for timing the TSLA sale back in January….don’t know many that can claim that!

A one in a hundred event. The other 99 times I’m off. But today, at the moment, every stock I own is up.

The most interesting part about that TSLA sale was that it occurred at 3:59 ET, the last minute of trading

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2022 10:53AM by Speedy.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 25, 2022 02:13PM
Rick-o
Just in for 50 more shares!

Then, they went down $50. a few minutes later. smiley-laughing001

Classic! I bought Beyond Meat (they make fake meat) and Skyworks (they make parts for apple devices) a year ago today. Both proceeded to drop like stones — and are still falling. I usually make very good calls, ugh. Luckily I have AAPL to offset! Picked up a little more AAPL last night; it is up today so I'm taking that as a positive sign! smiley-gen013
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 25, 2022 07:19PM
SteveO
Classic! I bought Beyond Meat (they make fake meat) and Skyworks (they make parts for apple devices) a year ago today.

A year or so ago I worked on the design for a bid to build out the structured cabling system and network for BM's new El Segundo HQ. We didn't get the award, but watching the company's value plummet since then I'm wondering whether that was a bad thing.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020