advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Some ice storm images shot from the road...
Posted by: DP
Date: February 23, 2022 08:14PM
The ice storm warnings Rick-o posted the other day came true-at least for me on I-75 when I had to go up to our cottage on Tuesday. When I left my home in the Detroit metro area about 9 AM it was 38º. When I got to the cottage it was 17º and raining! I hit the ice about an hour and a half into the drive and I ended up driving the last 100 miles at 40 mph. Had to stop twice to break the ice off of my wiper blades and was the only vehicle on the road at times... I know, I know-

So coming back today it was sunny but 10º when I left the cottage. Here's some pix shot on my phone thru my windshield. Sorry for the quality but it was beautiful-the great paradox of an ice storm-and I just had to get some shots.

Here's an image on the M-33 southbound on a parallel (due east of him) with Rick-o's latitude:

And two shots on I-75:

The ice on my hood was from the previous night but at least the road was dry for the most part and had an easy drive home...

What did you get hit with, Rick-o?

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Some ice storm images shot from the road...
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 23, 2022 08:33PM
At times like this, you're supposed to be sitting in front of your fireplace sipping glühwein.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 23, 2022 08:56PM
freeradical
At times like this, you're supposed to be sitting in front of your fireplace sipping glühwein.

But eiswein would be equally appropriate, no?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 23, 2022 09:33PM
freeradical

I've got a bottle of that, maybe 20 years old. Haven't opened it. Should I be scared?

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: February 24, 2022 06:36AM
Should've had some of that while I was driving!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 24, 2022 11:37AM
Cool pics! Literally!

We're pretty much back to normal here. Most roads are clear. My driveway and near neighborhood are all pretty much all ice. Trash pickup was supposed to be Tuesday and it's still sitting out there. Same with the mail. No deliveries here for the past few days.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 24, 2022 11:38AM
That's really stunning imagery!
Date: February 24, 2022 02:00PM
Rick-o: Did you lose power?

Thx, viz! Ice storms are no fun and thankfully you don't see them much in CA...

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 24, 2022 02:14PM
One of my students just accepted a scholarship to the University of Northern Michigan. That is in Marquette, on Lake Superior in the Upper Penisula. Today;s high was 15 degrees with a 5mph breeze making it feel like 10 degrees.

She grew up in mid-Florida, never lived anywhere else. I looked at her and laughed when she told me. She hasn't a clue what she is getting into.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 24, 2022 02:35PM
DP
Rick-o: Did you lose power?

No, but it was definitely on my mind! I haven't used the wood stove in a few years, so my go to generator isn't very useful. It's enough to run the well pump for water, and has enough juice to run the fan blower on the wood stove, so, enough to keep us comfortable, if needed.

I guess I need an electric vehicle to run my house during power outages. Some day...

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 24, 2022 02:39PM
Rick-o

I guess I need an electric vehicle to run my house during power outages. Some day...

EV's and solar could go a long way to providing every household with multiple sources of backup power, and provide the energy grid with both peak power and a means to store electricity during peak solar production. If only....
Date: February 24, 2022 03:23PM
Carnos Jax
Rick-o

EV's and solar could go a long way to providing every household with multiple sources of backup power, and provide the energy grid with both peak power and a means to store electricity during peak solar production. If only....

You guys gotta be more creative:

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 24, 2022 03:48PM
vision63
Carnos Jax
Rick-o

Guy on the bike should be green:

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 24, 2022 07:02PM
I promise not to post a photo from current location. thumbsup smiley

Just the address: 1 N Kaniku Dr
Kohala Coast, HI 96743

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 24, 2022 09:17PM
Nice pics!

Ice is the worst. I’m glad you made it safely.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 24, 2022 11:48PM
Lew Zealand
vision63
Carnos Jax
Rick-o

Guy on the bike should be green:

I agree.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 25, 2022 06:24AM
Ombligo
One of my students just accepted a scholarship to the University of Northern Michigan. That is in Marquette, on Lake Superior in the Upper Penisula. Today;s high was 15 degrees with a 5mph breeze making it feel like 10 degrees.

She grew up in mid-Florida, never lived anywhere else. I looked at her and laughed when she told me. She hasn't a clue what she is getting into.

My daughter considered Northern Michigan University, she talked to a lady who graduated from there and the lady told her "you really need to like winter and cold." My daughter chose Adrian College instead.
Her best friend, however, decided to go to Michigan Tech, which is slightly northwest of NMU in Houghton, MI. jest smiley

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020