advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 27, 2022 07:10PM
Just been listening to the remix that came out in 2017.
Normally I can't stand remixes, especially a record like SPLHCB.
Just doesn't seem right, historically.

But ....wow! If you haven't and you like the LP, take a listen.
Really really enjoyable.
Different than 1967, but sticking to the spirit and sound of the LP, just clearer and lusher without being wtf.
The bottom end is nicely fuller. Giles, George Martins son, did an incredible job.

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 27, 2022 07:17PM
I have a copy of MFSL 1-100 in at least NM condition.

I should ebay it.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 27, 2022 07:24PM
I, too, have the 50th anniversary remix. I love it.

I’d likely bid on the MFSL disk.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: digby
Date: February 27, 2022 08:00PM

I have a copy of MFSL 1-100...

What's that? A certain version of Sgt. Pepper's?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 27, 2022 08:14PM
digby

I have a copy of MFSL 1-100...

What's that? A certain version of Sgt. Pepper's?

[www.google.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 27, 2022 09:52PM
I’m been impressed by the Dolby Atmos remixes of the Beatles’ albums on Apple Music. The overall quality of the various DA remixes on AM varies widely, but the Beatles’ DA remixes all sound great.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2022 09:53PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 27, 2022 11:18PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I’m been impressed by the Dolby Atmos remixes of the Beatles’ albums on Apple Music. The overall quality of the various DA remixes on AM varies widely, but the Beatles’ DA remixes all sound great.

Agree on that one. Available on BluRay as well

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 28, 2022 07:09AM
I really liked the soundtrack from LOVE. Harrison’s son worked on that as well, in fact I think it was what started them remixing everything because most of the hard work was already done by the time they finished LOVE. I listened to a podcast interview years ago that talked about the struggle of balancing the new mix with old expectation. I think they pretty much nailed the sweetspot. It sounds like new music with previously silent tracks turned up in volume and the originals moved a bit back. It’s like hearing a new song that you already know.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 28, 2022 12:12PM
Fritz
Just been listening to the remix that came out in 2017.
Normally I can't stand remixes, especially a record like SPLHCB.
Just doesn't seem right, historically.

But ....wow! If you haven't and you like the LP, take a listen.
Really really enjoyable.
Different than 1967, but sticking to the spirit and sound of the LP, just clearer and lusher without being wtf.
The bottom end is nicely fuller. Giles, George Martins son, did an incredible job.

100% agree. It's the album the Beatles and Martin The Elder would have made if they'd had the technology--or rather it's the album they DID make, only to have it sonically hampered by the limits of the technology they had. Bringing out all the parts that had been buried by repeated mixdowns that had to be made during recording due to Abbey Road's 4-track recorder is a straight-up revelation.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 28, 2022 02:10PM
The thing that kicked all of this off was the "blue box" (stereo) and "black box" (mono) sets from the late '70s. Those all sound good but were never marketed as "audiophile" records. Prior to that, the only copies that sounded great were original Parlophones or Apples. And then various Japanese, Australian, German and other pressings soon emerged along with the first MoFi.

Sell that MoFi. The 2nd one (UHQR series) is much nicer.

Early '80s' MoFi have weird EQ applied, almost without exception. The original owner had a tin ear and liked them that way. I have that era's Mofi copy of Magical Mystery Tour and it's unlistenable, with screechy highs. Much later I acquired an LP rip from the German Horzu label and it's entirely different and wonderful sounding.

I haven't heard any of the 50th Anniversary remixes but have read Giles Martin did well by them.

Here's some insight into how the lathe was rebuilt: [www.analogplanet.com]

Audiophiles tend to have a love/hate relationship with Abbey Road because the studio usually will not cut lacquer from tape, preferring to cut from a 24/96 file instead. The provider giveth and the provider taketh away.
Date: February 28, 2022 02:11PM
I have LP rips of a few iterations and they are all different:
-- The 1980 Australian red wax (stereo)

When Abbey Road reissued the titles in 2012 they cut from digital. The only way to buy a higher-res digital copy was if you bought that Apple USB stick. Those were 24/48 files and sound very good. The LPs are also pretty good. But they caught some heat for not taking the effort to cut from tape ... and Abbey Road is the only source for that.

-- The 2014 (mono) << The monos were by default a different mix, already. The Beatles spent 2-3 weeks mixing the mono Pepper, and left it to others to spend about 2 days on the stereo. The 2014 mono was cut from tape. Here's some backstory there: [www.analogplanet.com]
Date: February 28, 2022 02:12PM
I also have two LP rips of the Parlophone/EMI Audiophile (Australian)

This one is easily one of the best. In 1983 EMI Australia had audiophile execs who thought it would be "neat" to commission a special LP made available to attendees at a convention. 497 copies pressed. Abbey Road sent them a new 30 IPS master. What this means is that Abbey road had to re-mix it because source tapes are "stems," ie. flat recordings without edits and EQ applied. So they recreated the original mix from notes and EMI Australia allowed Bartley to tweak the master further.

The only ever time a 1st-gen tape was used for Sgt. Pepper would have been for the oringlal 1967 Parlophone LP. All other countries and subsequent pressings would have come from 2nd or 3rd gen tapes at best. The only subsequent 1st-gen masters were the digital ones. You really don't want to be playing back the 4-track source tape too many times.

Here's a backstory there: [www.analogplanet.com]
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 28, 2022 03:09PM
Chris Muth is a very smart and clever man.
Charles Fisher was the producer on an Aussie band that mixed at Record Pant NY in the 80s. Maybe Moving Pictures.
Fun reads.
What you playing these on?

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 28, 2022 03:12PM
This interview with Giles from 2006 is where I learned of the Love album:

[www.npr.org]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 59
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020