advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
A Mac question! AirPort Express 1st Gen
Posted by: DP
Date: February 28, 2022 08:20AM
When my wife's company closed the owner let her bring home her iMac and some other goodies, albeit old goodies, like an old Mini and this AirPort Express 802.11n 1st gen model number A1264.

My wireless modem is in my basement next to my computer and sometimes getting the wireless signal up to our 2nd floor bedroom is hard, especially since our house is 91 years old with thick plaster walls, etc.

I dug the AirPort out after I remembered we had it and was wondering if I could use it as a signal booster, say running a Cat 5/6 cable to the AP from my modem.

I could just use the modem password to connect the AP to the modem then connect to the AP on my computer, Kindle, whatever, upstairs.

Feasible? Dumb? AP too old to be useful?

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A Mac question! AirPort Express 1st Gen
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 28, 2022 08:36AM
I used my 802.11g Airport Express (the very first Airport Express to come out) for this purpose back in the day. It worked wirelessly as a booster - I didn't have to connect the Ethernet cable.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: February 28, 2022 09:03AM
I use my Airport express in just this way. Works fine. Use the Airport Utility to set it up. The Airport Express will probably need some firmware updates. Amber light means go to Airport Utility to install, as far as I recall.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 28, 2022 09:07AM
You'll need an older Mac to run that version of Airport Utility. Also, I've had 2 of them just up and die (refuse to connect to the local net). But, then, I was only using them for music servers in the kitchen.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 28, 2022 09:13AM
I had to futz with some modified versions of the Airport Utility to get it to run on a modern Mac. Sometimes Apple really irks me with arbitrarily sunsetting older tech.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: February 28, 2022 09:22AM
If you have access to a Windows machine, the Windows version of Airport Utility should work.

I don't know if it would work within Parallels for either Windows or an older version of the Mac OS.

I keep old Macs of various vintages lying around for purposes such as this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2022 09:23AM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 28, 2022 09:26AM
My iMac is old-late '12 2.9 GHz i5 16GB running 10.14.6.

So I can use it wirelessly connected to the modem?

Back to music...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Date: February 28, 2022 09:39AM
DP
My iMac is old-late '12 2.9 GHz i5 16GB running 10.14.6.

So I can use it wirelessly connected to the modem?

Connected straight to the modem, it can be setup to work as a wireless router.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 28, 2022 10:15AM
This might be helpful. If you already have a wireless network set up, you want an "access point."

[discussions.apple.com]

You can go in the other direction, using the AE as a wireless-to-wired connection.

[superuser.com]

---
Posted by: qdog2
Date: February 28, 2022 05:13PM
I stopped using an airport express for internet about a year ago. It would only download at 12mbs. I replaced it with an Asus gaming router. It downloads at over 170mbs. I didn't know I had that much bandwith using the apple router. I just use the apple router to play music through my stereo now.

Portsmouth, Va
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020