Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Good and cheap sound bar for TV?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 02, 2022 08:40AM
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of TV's that could really use better speakers. I really don't want to spend a ton on these, because they're mostly TV's that aren't getting that much use.

Can you use one of those amplified speaker sound bars, normally used with a computer, for a TV? I see a bunch of those that aren't particularly expensive on Amazon and elsewhere.

Don't need the very best sound quality, just something that will amplify reasonably well and not have terrible sound quality.

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good and cheap sound bar for TV?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 02, 2022 09:21AM
Budget?

My standard recommendation is a used receiver and speakers, via craigslist or ebay.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 02, 2022 09:45AM
External computer speakers work and can usually be found at Goodwill.

Otherwise a basic Vizio can be had for around $50

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 02, 2022 10:27AM
Almost any sound bar will sound better than TV speakers.

Add a sub and it is much better.

EDIT: Make sure it has blue tooth for audio only listening as well.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2022 10:31AM by Rolando.
Date: March 02, 2022 11:14AM
Budget -- I'd say less than $50, ideally around $25.

The TV's in question themselves aren't worth much, as they're older models (and as I said, only get infrequent use).

Don't think I'd need Bluetooth or anything like that.

As some examples of what I'm seeing:

[www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 02, 2022 12:19PM
Make sure you TV has either a headphone out or RCA output. With a headphone out, the TV's remote should adjust the volume. With an RCA output, it's probably fixed, so you'd have to adjust the volume on the soundbar itself, and the cheap computer oriented ones usually don't have remotes. So, keep that in mind in your shopping (if getting up to change the volume is an annoyance to you).
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 02, 2022 12:25PM
$25 seems not enough $ to get something better than already comes with the TV.

maybe start at $50?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 02, 2022 12:28PM
jdc

maybe start at $50?

Well considering that the TV's are probably not even worth that much, I didn't see the point of investing too much...

Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 02, 2022 01:34PM
PeterB
jdc

maybe start at $50?

Well considering that the TV's are probably not even worth that much, I didn't see the point of investing too much...

Just how old are these TVs? If they are Tube CRTs, they probably already sound better than those "soundbars"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: March 02, 2022 04:08PM
Rolando
PeterB
jdc

maybe start at $50?

Just how old are these TVs? If they are Tube CRTs, they probably already sound better than those "soundbars"

5-10 years old LCD's.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 02, 2022 05:02PM
For that price point, look on craigslist or marketplace, local thrift stores. You will likely find something better than those two you linked.

here, $24 Oontz Bluetooth speaker with a Aux input. I have this speaker and it sounds very good. Just plug it in and you're all set. [www.amazon.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2022 05:51PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 02, 2022 05:52PM
If you go for the absolute cheapest, the sound bar may actually still be worse than what’s built in. Stick with a name brand, and you’ll probably be ok.

As for not wanting to spend more than the tv’s worth, I guarantee you the speakers in a future tv will suck just as bad.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 02, 2022 05:56PM
You should be able to find a used sound bar for less than $25 on your local Facebook Marketplace.
Date: March 02, 2022 06:32PM
Carnos Jax
You should be able to find a used sound bar for less than $25 on your local Facebook Marketplace.

I'm only seeing one there for $25, and I presume it's a less-than-preferable brand: Insignia.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 02, 2022 06:37PM
If there are other higher priced ones, make a flat offer for $20 even. Sound bars even new don’t sell for that much on Marketplace, regardless of what the seller is asking. Eventually you’ll get a seller who bites.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 02, 2022 06:43PM
Insignia is Best Buy's "house" brand. I'd go for a proper soundbar from them over the computer soundbar option.
Date: March 02, 2022 07:34PM
OK, from the used perspective, what are some good ones to look for?

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 02, 2022 09:47PM
I have this one in my garage. Works great for the money:
[www.walmart.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 03, 2022 12:28AM
Gareth
Make sure you TV has either a headphone out or RCA output. With a headphone out, the TV's remote should adjust the volume. With an RCA output, it's probably fixed, so you'd have to adjust the volume on the soundbar itself, and the cheap computer oriented ones usually don't have remotes. So, keep that in mind in your shopping (if getting up to change the volume is an annoyance to you).

Analog out is rare on pretty much any TV nowadays.

I had to buy a fiber optic transceiver to use with my 2010 plasma TV.

I route the output of the transceiver into my stereo amp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020