advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Downloading youtube video with CC?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 02, 2022 03:09PM
I recently watched Letter's of a Dead Man and it was excellent. I'd like to download it but can't seem to make it happen with CC. Any ideas?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Downloading youtube video with CC?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 02, 2022 03:21PM
You won't be able to download a video with the captions burned into the video, but-

You can view the Transcript by clicking on the ... icon at the right of the Share/SAVE buttons below the video. From there you can copy and save as an .srt (or maybe .vtt) file and try to join them with the video file using an app like VLC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2022 03:24PM by mikebw.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 02, 2022 03:32PM
[software.charliemonroe.net] Downie (previously mentioned here in another thread) will download with your choice of captions, which Quicktime Player (and presumably other apps) can then display on playback.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: March 02, 2022 03:59PM
Curious, what about a screen recording? Or, is there limitations on that?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 02, 2022 05:14PM
SKYLANE
Curious, what about a screen recording? Or, is there limitations on that?

Well, that has to be done in real time, and then re-compressed, probably. In this case, that video is 1.5 hours long... Took me just a few seconds to test downloading with captions with Downie.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 02, 2022 06:45PM
VLC will allow you to download the video directly. Google the directions for that. It's simple but there are a few steps. Oh, not sure about the cc, but are they embedded in the video file?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2022 06:46PM by mrbigstuff.
Date: March 02, 2022 10:18PM
Thank you for the good advice. I used the method described by mikebw although I used different software that I already own. I copied the transcript from the youtube window, pasted it into bbedit, saved it as a text file with the extension srt. I then used iFlicks to combine the video file and the srt file and stuff it into iTunes. Worked like a charm so thanks.

The Downie app looks interesting so I'm going to look at it also. Thanks for that suggestion Gareth.

I could have recorded in real time as SKYLANE suggested, and I have done that before using Capto but it is a hassle. It has to be done in real time, all other apps need to be turned off to avoid sounds being added, pray nobody calls my cell phone (comes thru FaceTime), and then it has to be re-encoded for size. So it works but Mike's way was best this time.

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 03, 2022 04:56AM
I also recommend Downie. Although you've already done it. Downie would do exactly what you wanted in a couple of minutes.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 03, 2022 08:09AM
So glad it worked out! I did not know about Downie, but it sounds like an easier solution to keep in mind.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 03, 2022 09:57AM
Is "CC" an app? I use ClipGrap. Works well.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: March 03, 2022 10:00AM
I decided to dedicate some time (and money) to see if Downie is a better option than what I did. Downie itself can download youtube video and it can download subtitles but they appear as two separate files and still need to be combined for iTunes to display them. Downie has a helper app called Permute and it can combine the files and automagically add the new video to iTunes. So if you go down the Downie path be sure to buy the two app bundle to get all of the features needed.

Overall I'm glad that I bought Downie as I do download a lot of youtube videos. Thanks again for all the help.

[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 03, 2022 11:17PM
CC is closed captions.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020