advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
can't touch this?!....Amazon closing all physical bookstores / locations....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 03, 2022 01:17PM
....bookstores, 4-star shops & pop up locations.......about 68 stores closing....except Amazon Fresh, Whole Foods Market, Amazon Go, and Amazon Style stores.....

Amazon to close its bookstores, 4-star shops and Pop Up locations to focus on Whole Foods, other stores

....Amazon is closing 68 of its physical stores, including bookstores, 4-star shops and Pop Up store locations.

The tech giant confirmed the store closings Wednesday and said closure dates will vary by location. Stores will have signs about the upcoming closings.

Reuters was the first media outlet to write about the closings.

“We’ve decided to close our Amazon 4-star, Books, and Pop Up stores, and focus more on our Amazon Fresh, Whole Foods Market, Amazon Go, and Amazon Style stores and our Just Walk Out technology," the company said in a statement to USA TODAY.

In January, Amazon unveiled it would open its first in-person clothing store dubbed "Amazon Style" in California.

On Wednesday, Amazon said it was "committed to building great, long-term physical retail experiences and technologies, and we’re working closely with our affected employees to help them find new roles within Amazon.”

Neil Saunders, managing director of research firm GlobalData, said it came as a surprise to hear Amazon was closing stores as a handful of the locations recently opened.

"While it is unusual for most retailers to abandon concepts in a wholesale fashion – especially outside of bankruptcy – Amazon is not a typical retailer," Saunders said in a statement. "It tries and tests new things, often committing reasonable levels of investment, only to move on if it doesn’t see forward potential."

Amazon recently raised its Prime membership for new members effective Feb. 18. For current Prime members, the new price will apply after March 25 on the date of their next renewal.

they have done what they......intended.....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2022 01:54PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: can't touch this?!....Amazon closing all physical bookstores, etc....
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: March 03, 2022 01:35PM
not too surprising - Amazon killing off yet more Brick and Mortar bookstores, like they have been for years...
Re: can't touch this?!....Amazon closing all physical bookstores, etc....
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 03, 2022 02:43PM
SDGuy
not too surprising - Amazon killing off yet more Brick and Mortar bookstores, like they have been for years...

They say they'll be back when they can bump them all off.
Re: can't touch this?!....Amazon closing all physical bookstores / locations....
Posted by: d4
Date: March 03, 2022 03:23PM
Amazon retail is following Microsoft's closure of all of their retail stores 2 years ago. The bean bag store that replaced the Microsoft store at my local mall pulls in 5x as many customers. The Apple store? Packed to the gills.

Re: can't touch this?!....Amazon closing all physical bookstores / locations....
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 03, 2022 03:31PM
d4
….The Apple store? Packed to the gills.

To my unsophisticated way of thinking, I am amazed the Apple store can do so well when their contemporaries can not.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 03, 2022 03:39PM
If I ever make it to Portlandia, I'm going to visit Powell's bookstore.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 03, 2022 03:44PM
freeradical
If I ever make it to Portlandia, I'm going to visit Powell's bookstore.

It is a glorious experience. We have driven down from Seattle for the day just for Powells and microbrews.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 03, 2022 05:04PM
Carnos Jax
d4
….The Apple store? Packed to the gills.

To my unsophisticated way of thinking, I am amazed the Apple store can do so well when their contemporaries can not.

Most people’s first purchasing experience with Apple products was through an Apple Store. It’s really all they know. Certainly not the case with Amazon, and likely not MS, either.

It is what it is.
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 03, 2022 11:31PM
@#$%& Amazon. I support my local bookstores, and living where I do, I am grateful to have at least three—2 new books, one used— to look through.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 04, 2022 08:48AM
In my experience at our local Apple store, about half the store is filled with Genius appointments. The store would be a lot emptier if not for the complementary tech support.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 05, 2022 12:40AM
blooz
@#$%& Amazon. I support my local bookstores, and living where I do, I am grateful to have at least three—2 new books, one used— to look through.

hell yeah
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020