advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Want to email someone, but not use my Current Email Address, about used Computer I bought, see if Stolen??
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 03, 2022 04:09PM
So those 3 Macbook Computers I bought. One of them finally turned on, and is open to me seeing everything that the person had on their desktop, including pictures, and address book.

I can determine the users name obviously, and see their phone number and address in the address book. This computer is a 15" MacBook Pro, from 2008. Only 2 Gigs of Memory, etc.. but I just cant imagine someone letting this go to someone else, if all this is visible.

Also, I believe from my memory that the smaller plain Macbook 13" has a login screen, with the last name of the person being the same. So how did 2 of 3 computers with the same family name get into someone's hands for me to purchase.

What I would like to do, if recommended is someohow contact the person, either via their phone number, or email...... but I don't want to jump in , with my real name and number , as I don't want to be guilty of receiving stolen property. What I want to do is do the right thing., And if they would like to have this piece of hardware, that may have some pictures or memories for them, that is what I want to do.

So how do I create an email address without having say .yahoo, ask me for my phone number so it can confirm who I am. In other words, to start off and find out whether these indeed were stolen, how can I make contact without sharing my info on day ONE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Want to email someone, but not use my Current Email Address, about used Computer I bought, see if Stolen??
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 03, 2022 04:18PM
Here's a guide, but I dunno if it's truly anonymous: [www.pcmag.com]

And, I have discovered that some people are so naive that they'll sell or give away a computer loaded with all their stuff. Or sold with the promise that it would be wiped. Or whatever. I have bought more than 1 old drive on eBay for Macs in my distant-past that hadn't been wiped.
Re: Want to email someone, but not use my Current Email Address, about used Computer I bought, see if Stolen??
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 03, 2022 04:45PM
[www.reddit.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 03, 2022 04:55PM
Who is your email provider? My email provider (Fastmail) offers the ability to create and use email aliases which point back to your main account.

If you use one of these, you have to be very careful to configure your email client to use the alias address when replying to email to that address. Otherwise, it will use your actually email addy and the jig will be up.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 03, 2022 05:16PM
If they are HDD, pull them, switch to an SSD for better performance. Then send the HDD to the person with a note explaining what they are but no return address.

You've upgraded the memory to make it useable and you are rid the HDD.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: hal
Date: March 03, 2022 05:16PM
This isn't as odd as you seem to think it is. I've purchased many computers direct from previous owners and at least 1/2 of them had auto-login and no security at all.

"Also, I believe from my memory that the smaller plain Macbook 13" has a login screen, with the last name of the person being the same. So how did 2 of 3 computers with the same family name get into someone's hands for me to purchase."

A family of users like jdc's would explain this...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 03, 2022 06:14PM
That happens ALL the time. OR the repair person will tell them they will wipe it and never do it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 03, 2022 08:02PM
You can use Hide My eMail on MacOS
here

richorlin
Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 03, 2022 11:12PM
Awhile ago I thought Apple maintained a S/N list of all stolen Macs
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 03, 2022 11:37PM
iOS 15 lets one use the Hide My Email feature.

Create an email proxy address that goes to Apple, then Apple forwards it to you.

The Recipient doesn't see your real address, and you can switch the address off so you never get anything from that address.

You can read up on how to use the main function — filling in 'fake' addresses for websites that might put you on an email list you're not interested in.

Then scroll down to How to use the Settings page to create a new address.

There are a few steps to this, but if I read it right, you can create a 'proxy' email address for outgoing mail.

The one small caveat is not being able to select it from the drop-down menu of your From addresses.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2022 11:52PM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 04, 2022 03:59AM
Ditto some of the above. I’ve bought several computers and hard drives with all kinds of personal stuff on them. I’ve even bought computers at auction (real auction, not eBay) from companies that have stuff like employment records on them with SSNs, salary info, etc. One was from some kind of financial institution that had literally thousands of people’s names, addresses, SSNs, and other info. I always look through, then erase. But it boggles the mind that this happens. Most recent one was just last month.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 04, 2022 09:55AM
I would just make a new gmail account, and have it forward to your main account. Obvs. don't reply from main account, but open up a new private browsing window for the anon email. That way you can have both at the same time as needed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020