advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Moisture wicking sock recommendations please!
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 05, 2022 02:57AM
Been told by by my doc to invest in them and get rid of the cotton ones.

There is a wide range of choices out there and cost points.

Planning to get a couple of Smart Wool and Darn Tough for hiking but need a reasonable priced one for everyday wear that won’t bust the bank to get two weeks worth. Has anyone tried Dickies? They’ve come up on some lists from a Google search.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Moisture wicking sock recommendations please!
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 05, 2022 03:15AM
Smartwool is good. I usually get at least a few years use out of each pair. Heard good things about Darn Tough.

I like higher percentage wool. Some advertised “wool” socks only have 15%…

Smartwool does make thinner wool socks for non-hiking applications, some in fun patterns.

=wr=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2022 03:18AM by wave rider.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 05, 2022 03:58AM
I too have wondered about Dickies. Looking for work boot socks.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 05, 2022 05:58AM
Darn Tough and Smartwool. Been wearing Smartwool socks since my diabetes diagnosis.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: March 05, 2022 05:59AM
I love Merino wool socks.
Favs are SmartWool, Darn Tough, as mentioned above. Also Kane11,
For everyday value, you might try REI
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 05, 2022 06:39AM
Another vote for Darn Tough. You say you don’t want to break the bank for two week’s worth. Darn Toughs are expensive, but there are other considerations. They give you free replacements for life. Whenever they wear out, you just keep getting replacements, forever. Also, this may sound gross, but you really don’t need to wash them after every wear. With their moisture wicking property and the fact that Merino wool is anti-bacterial, you really only need to wash them when they get soiled or whenever your comfort level dictates. They really don’t harbor odors. At a minimum, if you wear each pair only two days, you’ve saved 50%.
Date: March 05, 2022 07:15AM
BernDog
Another vote for Darn Tough. You say you don’t want to break the bank for two week’s worth. Darn Toughs are expensive, but there are other considerations. They give you free replacements for life. Whenever they wear out, you just keep getting replacements, forever. Also, this may sound gross, but you really don’t need to wash them after every wear. With their moisture wicking property and the fact that Merino wool is anti-bacterial, you really only need to wash them when they get soiled or whenever your comfort level dictates. They really don’t harbor odors. At a minimum, if you wear each pair only two days, you’ve saved 50%.

Interesting, what’s the longest you’ve let them go between washings? Not counting weeklong hiking trips…
Posted by: Spiff
Date: March 05, 2022 07:32AM
For every day wear, I use sock guy and Defeet. But I’m also a cyclist and love to wear colorful socks. I am still wearing their wool socks to work. My feet get cold in the AC building.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 05, 2022 08:01AM
FWIW.. I wash my wool socks after a week's casual wear, or a couple of days rough wear. I used to hand wash and hang them up to dry, got impatient, now they just go with the rest of my misc laundry load.

I also like the Smartwool and Darn Toughs are made in the US. They both last a long time. My smarwools last me on average about 5 years. I have yet to send a pair of darn toughs back for their lifetime warranty.

Diabetics (I'm Type II) have a common problem with blood circulation in feet. A good pair of wool socks keeps them from being damaged.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 05, 2022 08:52AM
Lizabeth
BernDog

Interesting, what’s the longest you’ve let them go between washings? Not counting weeklong hiking trips…

3-4 days, non-consecutive. No odor. Could probably do more, but the ARE on your feet all day. Start with one pair. See what you think.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 05, 2022 09:22AM
Smartwool are good, you can hunt around for deals on them. I haven't looked closely at costco's offerings but but I'd consider them if I was looking for a set.

I'm not very brand loyal when it comes to merino socks.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 05, 2022 09:56AM
I like smartwool socks.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 05, 2022 11:04AM
Oh, on the cheaper end, most synthetics will work pretty well.

Good option for cheap athletic socks - [www.sierra.com]

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 05, 2022 12:17PM
CostCo currently carries a four-pack of a wool blend sock. I like it.

It is what it is.
Date: March 05, 2022 06:28PM
Okay, ordered two packs of the Dickies quarter crews to try and two pairs of Darn Tough for hiking. Will report back on the Dickies once I've tried them. Hopefully they will be better than my all cotton ones and my feet will stay dry.

Thanks for all the comments!

Plus the next time I'm up in VT will make a beeline to the Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington to check out their bargain sock bin. i've getting good deals there before on wool socks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2022 06:28PM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: JPK
Date: March 06, 2022 06:44PM
Big fan of Duluth Trading. They have some moisture wicking socks available.

JPK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020