advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone ever use an Esim Data Plan in Europe?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 05, 2022 02:38PM
going to be riverboating on the Rhine for two weeks in April. Starts in Amsterdam, mostly in Germany with stops in in Strasbourg, France and terminating in Basel Switzerland.

i figure to be mostly texting. I'm told wifi on the ship is dog slow so am thinking of having an inexpensive cell data back up plan as cell reception on the route is supposed to be decent. my iphone 11 is eSim capable so I was thinking that might be the way to go.

my cell provider is Xfinity Mobile. When I'm home i typically use about 1 GB a month.

Anyone have thoughts and experience about European eSim data plans?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone ever use an Esim Data Plan in Europe?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 05, 2022 05:38PM
Any chance of moving your domestic number to the esim, and leaving the hardware sim open for your travels and travails?

That might be easier when you're out and about gallivanting around the world....

(That's what my little bro does, but he's a first responder and his primary carrier is FirstNet thru AT&T. Not sure how Xfinity works w/ its Verizon as carrier, but have been meaning to check out Spectrum/Verizon esim compatibility here in Cali.... but it's possible April might be optimistic, unless it's April 2023.)

Good luck.
==
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 05, 2022 06:01PM
Buzz
Any chance of moving your domestic number to the esim, and leaving the hardware sim open for your travels and travails?

That might be easier when you're out and about gallivanting around the world....

(That's what my little bro does, but he's a first responder and his primary carrier is FirstNet thru AT&T. Not sure how Xfinity works w/ its Verizon as carrier, but have been meaning to check out Spectrum/Verizon esim compatibility here in Cali.... but it's possible April might be optimistic, unless it's April 2023.)

Good luck.
==

Xfinity has a Global Pass for $10 a day ($150 for my trip) that is mostly at 2G speed. Pretty pricey and slow.

Have been Googling and Youtubing it. Seems like the eSim is quite doable. Looking at a company called Airalo whose Eurolink plan has 3GB/30 days for as little as $13. the speed is 4G/LTE. Doesn't include Switzerland, and many plans don't for some reason, but I will be in Basel less than a day.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: fauch
Date: March 08, 2022 01:02PM
I used one in Ukraine in September. Worked the same as a physical SIM. Haven't tried one that works in multiple countries though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020