advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I bought an Apple Watch
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 06, 2022 06:28PM
I bought my first AW today. After asking for advice here, I decided on an SE.
I found a deal at Target for the GPS version for $249.99 less my 5% off for using my Target card, so $237.50.
I bought the black 40mm with the black sports band. We will see how the band fits. I may have to order an Amazon band later.
I haven’t unboxed it yet, as I ordered the power brick to charge it from Amazon and it won’t be here till tomorrow. I think it Is ridiculous that the watch doesn’t come with the power brick. I don’t have any USB C bricks, so I had to order one. RollingEyesSmiley5
I had a $5 Amazon credit and it was $17.98 rather than $19.99 and I had CC points, so I decided I can wait a day. I am too tired to set up and get familiar with the watch tonight anyway.
I hope it isn’t too big for my wrist and that it connects up easily to everything. Hopefully this will keep me from having to worry about always having my phone on me at all times.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I bought an Apple Watch
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 06, 2022 06:32PM
Congrats! but a bit confused. if you bought the gps version you will need your phone with you unless you mean not carrying the phone around the house.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2022 06:33PM by graylocks.
Date: March 06, 2022 06:33PM

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2022 06:33PM by graylocks.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 06, 2022 06:52PM
I didn't get one until last year, and I really enjoy it. Hadn't worn a watch for almost a couple of decades. I think you'll appreciate it!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 06, 2022 08:00PM
I forgot to wear my Apple watch when I went to the ski hill yesterday. The constant need to keep pulling my phone put of my pocket to check texts, answer the phone, etc was a real bummer. Once you get used to having the Apple watch, it's difficult to go back - assuming you lead an active outdoor lifestyle.

I'm hoping that the Series 8 will be released soon so I can update from my S3 to an S7.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2022 09:40PM by Markintosh.
Date: March 06, 2022 08:06PM
graylocks
Congrats! but a bit confused. if you bought the gps version you will need your phone with you unless you mean not carrying the phone around the house.

Yep, that’s what I meant. I get tired of always having the carry my phone around the house.
If I go out, I can just put the phone in my purse, but I don’t always have pocket to stuff the phone in around the house and if I am upstairs and the phone is down, or vice versa, that’s a pain.

Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 06, 2022 08:12PM
Congratulations. It is such a great accessory for your iPhone. I use it all the time as (1) way to find my iPhone in the sofa and (2) as a hands free speaker mike for iPhone calls. My friends all tell me that I come in crystal clear when I talk through it.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 06, 2022 08:17PM
Cellular just adds another line of service to a company that doesn't deserve more of your money. GPS is fine. If I'm working out, running, I wouldn't want the "watch" to give me notifications unless a Nuke is on it's way. That might be best tho.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 06, 2022 09:20PM
Welcome to the club.
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 06, 2022 11:18PM
I didn't know you could use the watch as a speaker mike. The things you learn here!

I have not found the watch to be a replacement for the iPhone. The notifications give me some of the text but I need the phone to read the whole message. That said, what displays on the watch is enough to know whether reading the whole text is important or can be delayed.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 06, 2022 11:58PM
I didn't know you could use the watch as a speaker mike.

You can also used it as a walkie-talkie, Dick Tracy style, as long as the 'Phone is in BT range.

I usually prefer to answer the calls on my 'Phone, but will use the Watch to see who's calling and to tell them to hang on while I dig out the 'Phone, or just send the call to voice mail.

One really nice thing about att is their Visual Voicemail.

Instead of dialing in to the VM machine to retrieve messages, att VM shows who's called and in many cases offers a transcription of the call, which I found to be very accurate, most of the time.

I can read a transcript without accessing the voicemail proper, but to do that I just touch the message, similar to touching a name in Contacts, and the message plays.

That's just a little perk, not enough to send someone to att if VZW or similar works for them.

The notifications give me some of the text but I need the phone to read the whole message.

Hm.

I'm going to have to pay more attention, but in most cases when I get a notification on my Watch, I just tap it and I can read the whole notification.

There are exceptions, such as video, and some pics when the Watch tells me to check the 'Phone, but that's been minimal.

I just checked some old Messages and could see all of each one, some being a little lengthy, and a gif or two.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 07, 2022 12:04AM
i can see the entire text on my watch also. and Xfinity mobile transcribes voicemails.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 07, 2022 07:03AM
RAMd®d
I didn't know you could use the watch as a speaker mike.

You can also used it as a walkie-talkie, Dick Tracy style, as long as the 'Phone is in BT range.

I usually prefer to answer the calls on my 'Phone, but will use the Watch to see who's calling and to tell them to hang on while I dig out the 'Phone, or just send the call to voice mail.

One really nice thing about att is their Visual Voicemail.

Instead of dialing in to the VM machine to retrieve messages, att VM shows who's called and in many cases offers a transcription of the call, which I found to be very accurate, most of the time.

I can read a transcript without accessing the voicemail proper, but to do that I just touch the message, similar to touching a name in Contacts, and the message plays.

That's just a little perk, not enough to send someone to att if VZW or similar works for them.

The notifications give me some of the text but I need the phone to read the whole message.

Hm.

I'm going to have to pay more attention, but in most cases when I get a notification on my Watch, I just tap it and I can read the whole notification.

There are exceptions, such as video, and some pics when the Watch tells me to check the 'Phone, but that's been minimal.

I just checked some old Messages and could see all of each one, some being a little lengthy, and a gif or two.

Visual Voicemail is an Apple feature, not limited to ATT. I get it with Verizon.

Had ATT for many years due to them having a better international deal than Verizon. Verizon finally copied the ATT deal. Plus Verizon gives me Disney+ and a few other add ons for less than I was paying ATT.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 07, 2022 10:21AM
Visual Voicemail is an Apple feature, not limited to ATT. I get it with Verizon.

Huh.

A friend's mom has a current SE 'Phone with VZW and she doesn't have Visual Voicemail, and my friend doesn't have it on any of his or his families 'Phones.

I wonder if it's optional.

I've only had the 2007 att plan, and had it it all along.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 07, 2022 10:25AM
vision63
Cellular just adds another line of service to a company that doesn't deserve more of your money. GPS is fine. If I'm working out, running, I wouldn't want the "watch" to give me notifications unless a Nuke is on it's way. That might be best tho.
Got a cellular series 5 and not linked it with my iPhone plan (well actually can’t since it is a pay as you go cricket). But I wanted 911 dialing and fall detection and they don’t require linking to a carrier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2022 10:51AM by pqrst.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: March 07, 2022 10:49AM
Love my Apple Watch (series 6) but am sure I use barely a fraction of its capabilities. It was a gift from my son and I'm still learning. Old Fogette

One thing I like that had not occurred to me before getting the watch is that it tracks your daily steps whether indoors or out & about without the phone (which I don't always have a pocket for). For some reason it pleases me to look at the Health app on my phone and see if I've increased or at least kept up with my usual amount of walking. I also like that the watch will remind me to stand if I'm been using the computer or reading for a while without noticing the time go by.
Date: March 07, 2022 11:22AM
RAMd®d

Huh.

A friend's mom has a current SE 'Phone with VZW and she doesn't have Visual Voicemail, and my friend doesn't have it on any of his or his families 'Phones.

I wonder if it's optional.

I've only had the 2007 att plan, and had it it all along.

I get a visual transcript of my VM and I am on Verizon. I have an iPhone X and it also worked on my 6+, on Verizon.
It doesn’t work on the 6+ on PagePlus prepaid though. I think it is because you have to dial in to get your VM from PP.

Posted by: ArtP
Date: March 07, 2022 01:18PM
One thing I love to do is simply answer the call on my watch and not say anything.

I had a HUGE increase in Spam phone calls as of late. I hear the spammer saying hello... hello.... - just to waste their time.

Also like the activity and sleep tracking features. Only problem is with Sleep 0 usually fall asleep with the watch on a charger and miss hours of tracking because i forget to put it back on when fully charged.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 07, 2022 01:36PM
You should find that thing very handy, Rhonda! I know I can't seem to live without mine.

Just today I found the option to view apps in list view rather than grid view. That feature alone makes it so much easier for my old eyes to choose apps.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Maddog
Date: March 07, 2022 01:43PM
About that visual voicemail. My wife was really wanting that on her phone, since she saw it on mine. But it just wouldn't work. Finally she found a really smart verizon rep that had her change her language preferences. She had selected Australian, but you had to select english, american or GB. After that, her visual voicemail works fine.
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 07, 2022 02:16PM
I thought you were posting you got an Apple Watch so we should expect new models or significant price drops tomorrow... ?

g=
Date: March 07, 2022 03:09PM
gabester
I thought you were posting you got an Apple Watch so we should expect new models or significant price drops tomorrow... ?

Since it was on sale at Target and at Amazon I was actually wondering if it might mean exactly that, lol.
I did look to see if any updates to the SE were in the works and it seemed it shouldn’t be till fall, but it won’t surprise me, if I have taken one for the team. Lol

Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 07, 2022 10:39PM
rgG
Since it was on sale at Target and at Amazon I was actually wondering if it might mean exactly that, lol.
I did look to see if any updates to the SE were in the works and it seemed it shouldn’t be till fall, but it won’t surprise me, if I have taken one for the team. Lol

I would not be surprised if they kill the AW3 and reduce the price of the SE. I'd be kinda surprised if they did not!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020