advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Okay, I have to get back on eBay. Bank acct recommendations?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 07, 2022 10:26AM
My crapstuff isn't selling on Craigslist.

But I'm def not giving them my main account info.

Any good online (or terrestrial) banks you recommend?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Okay, I have to get back on eBay. Bank acct recommendations?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 07, 2022 10:29AM
USAA or Capitol One.

i like USAA because transfers between accounts outside of USAA are instant meaning when I bring in funds from my credit union USAA says i have access right then and there. i'm not military affiliated btw.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: March 07, 2022 10:32AM
Thanks, graylocks. I'll check that out and may still have a Capitol One acct number as a matter of fact.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 07, 2022 11:42AM
How about a second account on your main, like a savings?

Sadly, I doubt your stuff is gonna sell on ebay either...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 07, 2022 12:46PM
What about a PayPal Debit Mastercard or something like that? I'm dumb when it comes to these kinds of things.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: March 07, 2022 01:07PM
jdc
How about a second account on your main, like a savings?

I was wondering about that - I have a bunch of things i said I was going to "ebay" this Winter and here it is almost Spring again.

I do have a 2nd checking/debit account that I started when I was more cautious about purchasing stuff "online" over a decade or two ago. Usually i move a few dollars to it every month to avoid service and maintenance fees.

I currently have my paypal linked to my main checking account but I remember the horror days of ebay locking your WHOLE account of a dispute, I guess or hope it is just a matter updating account info
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 07, 2022 02:04PM
I'd be cautious about using a second account at my primary bank for eBay/Paypal, etc. The Right to Offset means that a bank can take money from one account to pay off a debt on a second account owned by the same person. So, if a car loan from a given bank isn't being paid, the bank can take money from the person's checking account (at the same bank) and use it to pay car loan. They can't do it to pay credit cards, however, according to federal regulations.

I'd use a bank that is just used for Paypal/eBay (and associated online things--maybe like Sirius, etc.) and be completely separate from my primary living-life bank account. If there's ever a problem with the account with Paypal clawing back money or some such thing, the bank can't tap your primary account since it's at another bank.

[www.bankrate.com]
Date: March 07, 2022 04:37PM
Michael
I'd be cautious about using a second account at my primary bank for eBay/Paypal, etc. The Right to Offset means that a bank can take money from one account to pay off a debt on a second account owned by the same person. So, if a car loan from a given bank isn't being paid, the bank can take money from the person's checking account (at the same bank) and use it to pay car loan. They can't do it to pay credit cards, however, according to federal regulations.

I'd use a bank that is just used for Paypal/eBay (and associated online things--maybe like Sirius, etc.) and be completely separate from my primary living-life bank account. If there's ever a problem with the account with Paypal clawing back money or some such thing, the bank can't tap your primary account since it's at another bank.

[www.bankrate.com]

100%. No such thing as a second account at the same institution unless its under a different SS#

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2022 04:38PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: March 07, 2022 10:01PM
Ally has been great for us
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 07, 2022 11:18PM
My daughter wanted an object from a seller in Russia last year, sold thru PayPal. I setup a PayPal Credit card, but the only account I linked to it was my AppleCard, so doubly insulated.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mspace
Date: March 08, 2022 08:31AM
A long while ago I created a Capital One checking account just for eBay. It makes PayPal happy as the backup, while buffering from my "real" checking account.

The CapOne account has come in handy for other purchases that I've wanted to keep separate from my main account, especially when they are insisting on a checking account, such as unemployment, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020