advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$5 a gallon ? Ok... school me on plug in hybrids like the Volt ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 08, 2022 12:22PM
Geesh.... A pity they stopped making the Volt.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $5 a gallon ? Ok... school me on plug in hybrids like the Volt ?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 08, 2022 12:46PM
How much do you drive? Or how much gas do you use?

I have a 17 gallon tank. IF I used 1 tank per week (I don't)... and if gas goes up by $1/gallon = $17 week, $68 month. Not insignificant, but not budget-breaking either.

Maybe drive a little less, or less rabbit starts, last minute breaking. Crusie control on hwy. make sure it pressure is correct... little things can get you another 1-2 mpg.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 08, 2022 12:54PM
I wouldn’t buy a Volt at this point. It’s time to go full EV. The Volt is a great transition vehicle but the transition is over. We’re just waiting for existing ICE vehicles to die at this point. Norway is 65+% EV already. UK is approaching 10% I think. The US has a longer tail but it’s coming. I think we’re at 4%. Next year it will likely be 8%. Close to 15% by the year after. It’s time.

Having said that, if you’re still cautious, the Bolt is a great option. Also the Honda Clarity PHEV. Chrysler Pacifica PHEV minivan is another option. The Volt is different from other hybrids in that it’s an EV. It has an ICE engine that can generate electricity to power the electric motor. The Prius in comparison is a hybrid. It’s more or less always burning gas, albeit very efficiently. The electric motor supplements the ICE. 0-100miles the Volt is most efficient. 100+ miles the Prius wins.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 08, 2022 12:56PM
A friend of mine recently bought a Suburu plug-in hybrid. Only about 17 mile range pure EV but it's something.

yes, it is a shame the Volt was discontinued. In a year or two I hope to move from my 2013 to a 2019. love this car. another option is Toyota's offering but good luck finding one anytime soon. my friend tried before settling on the suburu.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: March 08, 2022 12:58PM
ztirffritz
I wouldn’t buy a Volt at this point. It’s time to go full EV. The Volt is a great transition vehicle but the transition is over.

Not for everyone. You refuse to acknowledge that whenever the subject come up. Good for you that at this moment in time for your life needs and where you live a full EV works. you ain't all of us.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2022 12:59PM by graylocks.
Date: March 08, 2022 01:06PM
graylocks
ztirffritz
I wouldn’t buy a Volt at this point. It’s time to go full EV. The Volt is a great transition vehicle but the transition is over.

Not for everyone. You refuse to acknowledge that whenever the subject come up. Good for you that at this moment in time for your life needs and where you live a full EV works. you ain't all of us.

Thats true... but if the cost wasn't silly stupid, it *could* work for 80%? more? of the USA.

My family could easily get by with EV -- something like the new Hyundia/kia or a leaf or mach e. Maybe one tesla with extended range for the few times a year we take a 400 mile trip to family.

But all so much $$$$$.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 08, 2022 01:27PM
jdc
graylocks
ztirffritz

Thats true... but if the cost wasn't silly stupid, it *could* work for 80%? more? of the USA.

My family could easily get by with EV -- something like the new Hyundia/kia or a leaf or mach e. Maybe one tesla with extended range for the few times a year we take a 400 mile trip to family.

But all so much $$$$$.

Up front $$, maybe. Depends on what you are comparing, don't forget about tax the very real tax incentives and rebates out there.
Date: March 08, 2022 01:30PM
jdc

Yes! i absolutely agree if more people really took a look at how and where they drive many would realize they'd be fine with a full EV.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 08, 2022 01:48PM
Too late.

Everyone else will be buying and driving the prices up.
Date: March 08, 2022 01:50PM
Lux Interior
Too late.

really too late. used Volt prices have skyrocketed with other used car prices in the last year.

Date: March 08, 2022 01:51PM
mikebw
Up front $$, maybe. Depends on what you are comparing, don't forget about tax the very real tax incentives and rebates out there.

Model Y stock, is Dec delivery. No incentives in CA.

My wifes car, a really nice used 2016 Volvo S60, was $17K, and gets 30-40. Thats about 1/3 the cost of budget EVs.

Posted by: August West
Date: March 08, 2022 02:06PM
graylocks
ztirffritz

+1

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 08, 2022 02:12PM
I've said it numerous times but GM discontinuing the Volt tech will be studied in future MBA classes. I just don't get it, it solves so many problems.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 08, 2022 02:20PM
Here is my two cents on the Volt.

I love this car. It's a 2018 LT, a few goodies like the heated seats, steering wheel, etc.

It is very quiet, no squeaks or rattles, very comfy.
Here is my take on Prius VS Volt....
Long commutes, Prius wins with 55+ MPG.
Shorter runs, the Volt wins, Gen2 has up to 66 miles of pure EV, depending on
driving style, how hard you work heat or AC, EPA says 53 miles, but I'm mid 60's in good
weather where little or no heat/AC is needed, and as low as 40 in winter with heat cranking.
The Volt is now our #1 weekend use car, unless the weather is really poor where we want the Crosstrek's AWD to come into play. Normal use, the 110 charger will charge it just fine overnight, no extra cost L2 charger needed. That said, I bought a L2 charger and had the 240 plug installed in the garage. We were using it faster that the 110 could charge it. After all, keeping the ICE off is a game I want to win.
Still can't complain about the low/mid 40's for MPG's the Volt gets on ICE.

Two more points. I'm an auto enthusiast, and want some fun. The Volt will feel fast with all that torque if you want it to.
I recall a Car and Driver review of the Prius Prime a few years ago. In the "Pro-Con" section... PRO, Superior MPG's
CON, Driving experience as exciting as folding laundry.

Weekdays, work and back, hardly use ICE. Weekends, some longer trips needing the gas ICE. Currently, my lifetime MPG is 104.7 MPG. Filled the tank 5 times since Sept, so about every 6 weeks or so.

For me, it works great.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 08, 2022 03:52PM
graylocks
Lux Interior
Too late.

really too late. used Volt prices have skyrocketed with other used car prices in the last year.

Yeah, they have gone up around here also. 2 years ago could get a 2-3 year old Volt for around $16k, now ones around that age for for $20k+. Though there are a few older models listed in the area under $15k.
Date: March 08, 2022 04:01PM
The raising cost of all vehicles makes it a moot point. The advantage of EVs is the lower cost of range with electricity versus gas. PHEV are the way for people who need more range than BEV can provide right now.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 08, 2022 04:28PM
Geesh.... A pity they stopped making the Volt.

That's the first or second that occurs to me every time I think about an eV.

It will probably be one of my top three favorite eVs (if not 100% eV) for a long, long time.

The other two have yet to materialize.

Maybe the Lucid and Live Wire.

I envy those who scored a Volt.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: March 08, 2022 05:14PM
Buying a volt was one of my better moves. Getting a second one for my wife, also great! Typical poor business sense for GM to make a great car and then decide to quit making it. I love the PHEV. Don't ever have to worry about charging while out or on a trip and mostly just use the EV part around town and back and forth to work. If you can find a 2018 or 2019 with adaptive cruise (comes on the deluxe packages usually), you should pick one up. The only real downside is that they ride pretty close to the ground, so getting in and out is a small challenge.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 08, 2022 06:01PM
jdc

My wifes car, a really nice used 2016 Volvo S60, was $17K, and gets 30-40. Thats about 1/3 the cost of budget EVs.

My first BoltEV was $16.5k used. The second one, new was $20.5k. So I am going to disagree with that statement. There are going to be a lot more options out there in the next year or two.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 08, 2022 06:33PM
Markintosh
jdc

My first BoltEV was $16.5k used. The second one, new was $20.5k. So I am going to disagree with that statement. There are going to be a lot more options out there in the next year or two.

I had one of the first Gen Bolts. I'm curious how they're holding up. Loved it. I gave that one back after a woman crashed her van into it at Lake Merritt in Oakland.

I'm gonna be the last person to settle on an EV. Batteries have to get way better for me. Sitting at an EV-GO charger at 1am in say, Lodi got old. Not using the heater or the air conditioner because it chugs through the range got old. I got so tired of finding somewhere to plug that joker in. Tons of charging stations in SoCal. I don't know what's up with the Bay Area.
Date: March 08, 2022 07:20PM
vision63
Tons of charging stations in SoCal. I don't know what's up with the Bay Area.

is it really that bad? i'm considering moving back to the East Bay for a year on a trial basis. Halfway thinking it could be difficult to find a place to rent where I can charge. Might bring my Honda Element instead of the Volt and put some kind of protection around its catalytic converter.

Date: March 08, 2022 09:06PM
Markintosh
jdc

Sadly, my wife would never drive a Bolt. Its no S60. =) And of course, cost on them is wild $$$ now.

When we bought her car, she had a 1 minute drive to work. Although we are now 20 miles from her office, shes pretty much all WFH now, last time she actually went in was early Jan.

maybe when all the car $$$ BS finally figures itself out we will look again...

Posted by: bfd
Date: March 08, 2022 10:09PM
The schooling kind of depends on what you want to be schooled on… Volts, like Honda Clarity, Prius Prime, and Hyundai Ioniq (among others) are not all built the same. Volt and Clarity both run on electricity. When the battery runs out, the engine engages to power a generator that powers the motors that drive their wheels. Prius and Ioniq run a gas engine to drive the wheels once the batteries are depleted. Different systems. There is some gas engine drive for both Volt and Clarity, but it's limited to fairly high speeds because of the way their transmissions work. Volt and Clarity have larger batteries and bigger motors. So they feel more like a BEV for acceleration, though the other cars aren't that far behind. All of the them will save you gasoline, but the Volt and Clarity (if you can find them anywhere) will probably save you more because their EV range is greater, and the cost to recharge the batteries in most areas is still manageable. Good luck - not the greatest time in recent history to be in the market for any kind of vehicle.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 09, 2022 11:35AM
mikebw
jdc
graylocks
ztirffritz

But all so much $$$$$.

Key issue is that most people in this country can't afford to buy an EV, let alone one that meets their needs. Then look at where they live. Apartment and townhome complexes aren't set up for charging. What about people that live in cities that don't have off street parking. All of the costs add up. Poor and low income people are getting screwed by the increased fuel costs.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 09, 2022 02:41PM
macphanatic
Key issue is that most people in this country can't afford to buy an EV, let alone one that meets their needs. Then look at where they live. Apartment and townhome complexes aren't set up for charging. What about people that live in cities that don't have off street parking. All of the costs add up. Poor and low income people are getting screwed by the increased fuel costs.

Given that the average price of new cars sold in the U.S. in 2021 was $43,000, more people than you seem to think CAN afford EV's, since they start below that number. The ones that can't, will in five years as this generation of EV's is sold used.
Impediments to charging are totally legitimate issues - those are changing, but, won't have changed enough for decades.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: March 09, 2022 03:41PM
Paul F.
macphanatic

Given that the average price of new cars sold in the U.S. in 2021 was $43,000, more people than you seem to think CAN afford EV's, since they start below that number. The ones that can't, will in five years as this generation of EV's is sold used.
Impediments to charging are totally legitimate issues - those are changing, but, won't have changed enough for decades.

Indeed. We got our new 2019 Leaf Plus S for under $30K. I also totally agree that an EV is not the best choice for everyone, but the opposite is also true.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 09, 2022 06:32PM
Paul F.
macphanatic

Average price may be $43k. There are a lot of people who spent a fraction of that on their vehicle purchase. What decent EV can be purchased used in the $15k range that holds 2 car seats?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020