advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone know off the top of their head if the Mac Studio fits in a G4 Cube shell?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 08, 2022 08:46PM
Could you pull the guts out and put in a Mac Studio and secure it for upright use?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone know off the top of their head if the Mac Studio fits in a G4 Cube shell?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 08, 2022 08:55PM
Venting would be all messed up unless you put a ton of holes in the Cube case.

Same 7.7" [everymac.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: Anyone know off the top of their head if the Mac Studio fits in a G4 Cube shell?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 08, 2022 09:00PM
I'd put it in a gutted B&W G3, or maybe a hollowed out original iMac, maybe the flower power one.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: March 08, 2022 09:01PM
jdc
Venting would be all messed up unless you put a ton of holes in the Cube case.

Same 7.7" [everymac.com]

Darn it all, I just realized all the ports go out the side on the Studio. A boy can dream though. I will see if I can find a cheap M1 Mini and put the guts inside this shell I have.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2022 09:03PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 08, 2022 09:37PM
Wait until iFixit does a take-apart. I think you could take it out of the case, mount the rear ports/vents pointing down and have plenty of space to route a u-turn for the air out the top.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Spiff
Date: March 08, 2022 09:56PM
Here ya go:
[www.ebay.com]

Make an offer, get the shell. Then using a dremel, cut out the port slots needed for the Mac studio. and vent holes. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

*swoosh*
Date: March 08, 2022 10:02PM
Dang, 3 bills just for the case?

Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 09, 2022 05:45AM
It would be a good idea to develop an acrylic shell for the Mac Studio to keep it raised 2-3 inches off the desk with cooling ducts on the bottom and many small holes in the back to aid in cooling.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: March 09, 2022 05:59AM
Forrest
It would be a good idea to develop an acrylic shell for the Mac Studio to keep it raised 2-3 inches off the desk with cooling ducts on the bottom and many small holes in the back to aid in cooling.

Or maybe a Thunderbolt dock that raises it up.

Hmmm.... I wonder who might make similar devices right now.

Yes, and no.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 09, 2022 10:41AM
It won't fit.

Older minis would fit but starting with maybe the 2012 mini, it's outside dimensions are the same as the Cube's shell.

I just realized all the ports go out the side on the Studio

??

I saw the ports on the front and back, I didn't see any on either side.

If it did fit, venting would be a simple matter.

The back of the Cube shell is relieved for cables and to provide an intake for cooling.

Take a router and cut a port in the of the back of the Cube to match the back of the Studio, allowing a passthrough for cables and exhaust.

It's only a guess on my part, but I imagine the cooling intake is at the bottom of the Studio with air exhausting out the back.

So air would be sucked in via the relieved area at the bottom of the Cube and exhausted out the back cutout.

None of that would be visible from the seating position of a desk.

The large port at the top of the Cube shell would serve for some passive venting as well.

I have an polished stainless steel base that nothing more than trim, but raises the Cube a little over an inch.

That could be used to hide a fan to blow air up to the Studio, if needed.

As the Studio won't fit in a Cube shell, it doesn't matter.

But the idea of creating a bespoke Studio shell would be trés cool.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Yes, and no.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 09, 2022 04:14PM
RAMd®d
“It won't fit….”

“But the idea of creating a bespoke Studio shell would be trés cool.”

First. I love the word “bespoke” and what it means. Second. The phrase “trés cool” is my favorite not French, but should be French, right behind the phrase “le jazz hot”. Many bonus points to you, good sir.

Onward.

Perhaps the Mothership will, as she is wont to do, almost fulfill our wishes next iteration.

Date: March 09, 2022 08:46PM
RAMd®d
It won't fit.

Older minis would fit but starting with maybe the 2012 mini, it's outside dimensions are the same as the Cube's shell.

I just realized all the ports go out the side on the Studio

??

I saw the ports on the front and back, I didn't see any on either side.

If it did fit, venting would be a simple matter.

The back of the Cube shell is relieved for cables and to provide an intake for cooling.

Take a router and cut a port in the of the back of the Cube to match the back of the Studio, allowing a passthrough for cables and exhaust.

It's only a guess on my part, but I imagine the cooling intake is at the bottom of the Studio with air exhausting out the back.

So air would be sucked in via the relieved area at the bottom of the Cube and exhausted out the back cutout.

The large port at the top of the Cube shell would serve for some passive venting as well.

I have an polished stainless steel base that nothing more than trim, but raises the Cube a little over an inch.

That could be used to hide a fan to blow air up to the Studio, if needed.

As the Studio won't fit in a Cube shell, it doesn't matter.

But the idea of creating a bespoke Studio shell would be trés cool.

On a square, the front and back are sides because the G4 Cube case had the ports underneath. There is no way you could have any side facing port without modifications.

Date: March 10, 2022 06:16PM
RAMd®d
It won't fit.

I was the 2009, fwiw -- 6.5 x 6.5. 2010 went AL and 7.7 x 7.7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020