advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is macOS Monterey 12.2.1 "safe" for 2018 Intel Core i5 MacMini?
Posted by: d4
Date: March 11, 2022 12:36PM
Is macOS Monterey 12.2.1 "safe" for 2018 Intel Core i5 MacMini?

Now that I'm working from home, I'm especially nervous about Mac OS updates. I can't afford to be down for any length of time during the workweek.

My home (now home/work) computer is a 2018 Intel Core i5 MacMini running Catalina 10.15.7. It's been working fine. No issues whatsoever. Part of me thinks maybe I should leave it as-is as long as I'm up to date with the security patches.

But then the other part of me wants the Monterey macOS smiling smiley
I should just dive in right?

MacMini8,1
6-Core Intel Core i5 3GHz
32GB Ram

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is macOS Monterey 12.2.1 "safe" for 2018 Intel Core i5 MacMini?
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 11, 2022 12:38PM
Dont do it.

If you are curios, get a small external SSD and install Monty on it, and play around.

Many posts here have talked about the big shift in its "look" -- kid like. Its a distraction for some of us.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2022 12:42PM by jdc.
Date: March 11, 2022 01:00PM
Interesting. I'm less concerned about the look of Monterey, more about the stable functionality of Monterey on a 2018 Intel i5 MacMini. There definitely is no rush (or urgent need) to upgrade the macOS. Just taking notes for now smiling smiley

I had similar reservations about upgrading from a perfectly functional iPhone 7 to an iPhone 13. After a week I was completely used to the new look, feel, and finger actions with the 13. Even used ApplePay for the first (and 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th) time!

Date: March 11, 2022 01:11PM
d4
Interesting. I'm less concerned about the look of Monterey,

You say that now... =).

Stability is a non issue. Its a recent mac with plenty of ram.

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: March 11, 2022 01:23PM
Almost everything that runs well under Catalina will run well under Monterey.

But it's best to make a list of critical applications and then check both with the maker and in online forums for compatibility prior to upgrading the OS, regardless of the platform you're on.

Posted by: hal
Date: March 11, 2022 01:45PM
Tiangou
Almost everything that runs well under Catalina will run well under Monterey.

But it's best to make a list of critical applications and then check both with the maker and in online forums for compatibility prior to upgrading the OS, regardless of the platform you're on.

this x a million - there is no way for anyone to tell you that it's 'safe' without knowing how you are using it and what software you are running.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 11, 2022 02:26PM
ITS FIIIINE

Posted by: chopper
Date: March 11, 2022 03:28PM
"Never update" --Chopper
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 11, 2022 03:55PM
d4,

Monterey (and Big Sur) make you jump through hoops to boot off an external drive, so consider how you backup your main Catalina drive and if you are willing to possibly give up and external bootable clones.

I have 2 other macs available in case my M1 mini internal Monterey goes south, so I just clone the data to an external drive. I'll migrate back after my mini is again available, meanwhile using one of the other Macs.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: March 11, 2022 04:59PM
Model Name: 2017 MacBook Air 7,2 (2017)
2.2 GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, RAM: 8 GB
GPU (integrated): Intel HD Graphics 6000 (1536MB)
SSD: 1 TB - macOS 12.2.1
8TB drive on the TB with a video cable attached to that for external monitor.

I jumped in to Monterey from Big Sur at 12.2, everything on my end has been stable. My needs are fairly simple: Browsers, MS Office 2019 (used a lot), iMovie plus handful of other software/apps.
Date: March 11, 2022 06:43PM
Great advice so far from different perspectives. Nothing seems glaringly bad with 12.2.1. I guess they've had 4 months to iron out the wrinkles.

Will keep the bootable clone warning in mind. I do use SuperDuper. But have been using TimeMachine more and more. Thanks for bringing that up modelamac!

A year ago, my work surprised me with a new M1 Silicone MacMini at the office. No one checked to see that Adobe InDesign was not natively supported yet. Everyone assumed that Adobe would work natively with the M1 chip, right? I mean it's Adobe! I had to wait an annoying 6 months for Adobe to release an M1 native version. And then a few more months after that for Suitcase Fusion to catch up. Ughh.. Not painful. Just annoying.

Date: March 11, 2022 09:05PM
How does ID work for you? I struggled with about 10 docs open on my M1 mini.

Dunno if Im going to keep suitcase once i upgrade. The monthly fee is pffft. Maybe give something else a look...

Date: March 12, 2022 06:44AM
I usually might have 1-3 ID files open. Each file 1-6 pages. Vector logos and graphics. Not much hi-res final art. For this, the M1 MacMini and the latest CC ID is fast and snappy. No complaints.

Suitcase Fusion is fine as well. It just works in the background. I don't give it much thought on the daily.

Re: subscription. It helps that I don't pay the subscription bills at work. So there's that. It scks, but whatever. We used to do the annual Adobe CC song and dance with customer service, threaten to cancel, try and get the same intro rate for another year, transfer to supervisor, blah blah,,, we just pay the subscription and move on. No one's got time for that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020