advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Two years ago today...
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 13, 2022 11:38AM
...by actual date, was the last day we were fully staffed in-office. It was actually Friday the 13th when the company-wide email went out informing us that we were going to go to remote working "for a couple of weeks to see how this thing goes". Who'd have thought.

I've been back to the office just twice in the past two years. One time I went to pick up some personal items from my cubicle. Then about a month ago I decided to pick up my office chair (which I should have done much sooner). I fact I didn't even go inside on that visit. A co-worker wheeled my chair out to the curb and I loaded it up, spent a few minutes chatting with him outside the door, then took off.

Coincidentally, I had recently made arrangements with my bosses to semi-retire and go to part-time starting in July of 2020, going in only one or two days a week anyway. As of this moment, I anticipate that the next time I go in will be the last, and it will be to return all the company's equipment I'm been using at home and to bid a personal farewell to some co-workers.

While the reason for it has been horrible, this has been about the most perfect working arrangement I've been in for as long as I can remember.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Two years ago today...
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 13, 2022 12:56PM
Totally agree.

In our office, there is consensus around three things.

1. Almost everyone is much more productive
2. Almost everyone really likes working from home and the absence of the comment
3. Most folks missing working together, physically, and would like to be in the office a day or so every week or two, but aren't sure how to get folks there at the same time....
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 13, 2022 01:28PM
April 1 will mark the first anniversary of my full-time return to my office. Funny how different companies see things differently.

It is what it is.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 13, 2022 01:29PM
I'm getting a bit antsy from working remotely. It's two years for me, also.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 13, 2022 01:53PM
I've been retired remotely since 2014. It's been pleasant.old fogey smiley

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 13, 2022 02:18PM
A question to all parties: How has the lack of hours of commuting affected you, both in productivity and general mental health towards work?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 13, 2022 03:17PM
Two years ago today at 4:45 PM the Chancellor of the university sent out an email letting all students and staff know that classes for the rest of the semester would be online only. That Friday was the last day of classes before Spring Break, up until then they were planning on 2 weeks of classes online after the break. So most of the students had already left for break with enough for 3 weeks of break and classes.

I had already scheduled vacation time for the week, so got to miss out on a lot of the making of new plans to handle the change. Came back after the break to working onsite at the library one or two days a week, worked from home the rest. They offered staff a bonus to leave based on years of service, so since I was close enough I retired at the end of August.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 05:45PM by JoeH.
Posted by: TLB
Date: March 13, 2022 03:42PM
N-OS X-tasy!
April 1 will mark the first anniversary of my full-time return to my office. Funny how different companies see things differently.

Same here, I've been back on-site since last April. I'm full time in the office, work allows flex schedules but nearly every one needs to be on site at least 2 days a week. Productivity is about a wash. On site work has too many interruptions, but accessing data and running reports is considerably faster at work than remote. Meetings are all Teams or Webex even with us back and formerly paper processes are all digital now. Masking ended last week, so it seems like back to normal with improvements.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 13, 2022 03:47PM
2 yrs ago the 11th, my gig was shut down for a "couple weeks".
the in charge folks had not been reading the news.
in their defense, they paid us for 5 or 6 weeks after the "temporary" shut down. 3 months later, the show was dropped.
It's been hit and miss since.

I never would have thought 2 years plus on 3/11/20.

Hoping some new technology I'm learning will provide me with some lower paying gigs to keep me from having convos with Owen every night.
It's not the $, mostly sanity. Even though it will prolly bore me enough to enjoy vacuuming.

fortunately, Spanish reds are pretty inexpensive for the quality.
and contrary to popular beliefs, dark chocolate makes a fine dinner.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: wurm
Date: March 13, 2022 05:02PM
Steve G.
A question to all parties: How has the lack of hours of commuting affected you, both in productivity and general mental health towards work?

For me, not having that 90 minute commute each way has definitely impacted both my mental...and physical health, very positively. Not to mention wear and tear on my vehicle. I used to put between 22-25k miles on my car each year for the past 10 or so. I bought a new vehicle last July and today I turned over 5k miles. The only thing I really miss about the commute is listening to audiobooks. Now I need to make time to read a physical book, and finding that time is more difficult for me.

Productivity-wise, knowing my 'on-duty' hours are limited has made my choices smarter and our team has adapted very well to our re-defined workplace. I think that even if the rest of them do go back to work on-location, it won't be as it was two years ago.
Date: March 13, 2022 05:02PM
JoeH
Two weeks ago today at 4:45 PM the Chancellor of the university sent out an email letting all students and staff know that classes for the rest of the semester would be online only. That Friday was the last day of classes before Spring Break, up until then they were planning on 2 weeks of classes online after the break. So most of the students had already left for break with enough for 3 weeks of break and classes.

I had already scheduled vacation time for the week, so got to miss out on a lot of the making of new plans to handle the change. Came back after the break to working onsite at the library one or two days a week, worked from home the rest. They offered staff a bonus to leave based on years of service, so since I was close enough I retired at the end of August.

Two weeks ago?

It is what it is.
Date: March 13, 2022 05:06PM
Steve G.

I live only five miles from my office - on the same street I live on, in fact - so having no commute wasn't the huge quality of life improvement it was for many others.

That being said... the majority of the portion of the street is only two lanes. Taking into account all the obstacles I need to deal with on my commute (trash trucks stopped in the slow lane, construction shutting down a lane, parents dropping their kids off at school, et al.), it often feels like I commute to work in a third-world country.

It is what it is.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 13, 2022 05:45PM
N-OS X-tasy!
JoeH
Two weeks ago today at 4:45 PM the Chancellor of the university sent out an email letting all students and staff know that classes for the rest of the semester would be online only. That Friday was the last day of classes before Spring Break, up until then they were planning on 2 weeks of classes online after the break. So most of the students had already left for break with enough for 3 weeks of break and classes.

Two weeks ago?

oooops
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: March 13, 2022 06:34PM
I think it was the same Friday that was my last day in - “just work from home for a couple of weeks”. I took very little stuff home. A month or so later, I went in to meet someone in the parking lot to get a bunch more items, but I didn’t clean out my desk. Months later, they had me go in after hours so I wouldn’t share air with anyone, and I did clean out my desk. I still didn’t take my pictures off the wall, so they mailed those to me a year later!

I had a commute of about 40 minutes each way, starting very early in the morning so I could be in about 6am. I packed my homemade hot lunch each day. I left at 4, and usually the traffic was pretty bad by that point.

These days, I get up at 5 and start work a few minutes later. I cook something lovely for myself for lunch, and I wear PJs all day… I stop about 4:30pm depending on how caught up I am. I am FAR more productive and also attend a daily phone meeting, while I also work. Everyone else in the meeting is in a conference room, not working. That’s about an hour of extra work they get out of me. So I put in a lot more hours than I did, yet am much happier and waste a lot less time preparing clothes, meals, and driving. Not to mention all the hallway chats. I have phone or remote MD appts if I like. It’s wonderful.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 15, 2022 08:10PM
When work went online for so many people, it got me thinking about the impact it must have had for people who worked in Silicon Valley--some of them my coworkers--who rode commute vans three hours each way every day, waking up at 4, sleeping on the commute, to get to work at 8. What a shock that would have been, starting to work online, and now, having to do the old routine again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020