advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fairly freaked out now
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 14, 2022 10:37AM
Probably nothing. But my daughter took a tumble in the snow while taking snowboarding lessons yesterday. She got right back up thinking she was fine, only to be told she had actually blacked out. She was wearing a helmet (thankfully) and she was checked by the ski patrol who said she was ok (thankfully). My wife sent me pics of the otherwise fun-filled day. One of which was a short video of my daughter snowboarding. It was only after she fell and didn't get up that I realized it was THAT video. She just laid there motionless for 10 seconds before the video stopped.

They all came back yesterday and she was fine. We checked on her last night while she slept. Just in case. Called the doc today, just in case. Said she shouldn't have gone to school today, just in case. And they wanted to see her this afternoon. Just in case.

As I said, it's probably nothing but my brain will NOT shut off. All I can think about is the Natasha Richardson tragedy. Although she was not wearing a helmet and she refused medical attention. But still. Its hard not to go there when it's your kid.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fairly freaked out now
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: March 14, 2022 11:09AM
Here's hoping all is well. Better to get her checked out thoroughly though...just in case.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 14, 2022 11:16AM
Yeah fingers crossed here that overprotective parental instincts are unfounded and she is completely fine, although I wouldn't be surprised if your daughter did in fact turn out to be mildly concussed. Hopefully that's the worst of it - because the alternative is scary to think about.

Every time kids go swimming at the watering hole now I worry about brain eating amoeba.

g=
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 14, 2022 11:22AM
Has your daughter exhibited ANY "adverse signs" other that the short loss of consciousness (double vision would be one example; impaired coordination and / or headaches another)? If so, get her to an MD ASAP. If only for "peace of mind" medical a visit to her Pediatrician would be prudent.

Decades ago, I damned near killed myself snowboarding WITHOUT having ANY "professional" instruction, I was a decent downhill skier at the time and expected that skill would "transfer over" to a snowboard. Back then, Wildcat Mountain (NH) had a "Bunny Hill" newbies could use WITHOUT paying for a whole mountain lift ticket. For several hours, I body slammed my way down said bunny hill, lucky to NOT break anything (and, NOT using a helmet banghead smiley ). AFTER taking a lesson with a PROFESSIONAL instructor, I could finally get down the hill under control. I was happy to have "improved" but, I decided I'd have a more enjoyable time if I skied on TWO boards. old fogey smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2022 11:24AM by testcase.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 14, 2022 11:28AM
Absolutely get her seen by a doctor as a precaution, but if she is not presenting any signs of brain damage by now she is most likely fine.

It is what it is.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 14, 2022 11:37AM
Here is hoping she is okay. Young bodies and brains are quite resilient. I had 9 Class 3 (loss of consciousness) concussions before my Bad One when I was 40.

Congratulate her on wearing a helmet. Encourage her being active. Maybe look for a more brain friendly helmet (Bontrager makes a state of the art model I’m looking at for bicycling).

Concussion protocol has changed a lot in the last 20 years or so. Be aware, talk to the docs.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 14, 2022 11:43AM
Wow belty, 9 of them?? I can't say I'm surprised as you're full of more adventure than most TV Western serials. I think I only had 3 by 15 or so before I decided to swear off such things.

bazookaman, you're doing the right thing and if she hasn't shown signs of brain trauma as suggested by previous posters, she should be OK. Heh, I didn't tell my parents about at least 2 of my er, episodes. They had enough to worry about with my brothers without worrying about my stupid shenanigans.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2022 11:44AM by Lew Zealand.
Date: March 14, 2022 11:45AM
We've been asking her how she is. She says she has a slight headache but is better than yesterday. She is currently preparing a pizza for dinner tonight.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 14, 2022 11:54AM
I really hope she continues to be fine. You’re doing the right thing by having her checked out. You can’t be too careful when there’s a head !impact.

JoeM
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 14, 2022 12:18PM
Hoping for the best for your daughter. You can never be over cautious.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: chopper
Date: March 14, 2022 01:54PM
I work in racing. If she still has anything not normal after 24 hours see a DR.

I know guys who suffered more than 20 concussions over a 20 year career. Some are fine. Some are not fine.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 14, 2022 01:59PM
I think you're right to monitor her, but it would also be good for you to relax as well. A couple of decades ago this would have gone unnoticed and nobody would think she was lucky by just continuing on with her life.

Posted by: rgG
Date: March 14, 2022 03:05PM
I totally get why you were freaked out, and I am glad she seems to be doing well.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: March 14, 2022 04:50PM
Back from the doc. She is concussed. And she has whiplash. So she needs to take it easy the next couple days. No school. No phone. No nothing. Nothing that will make her use her brain basically. But they did say if it were bad BAD, then she would have exhibited other symptoms before now. Given the time frame, she is out of the woods.

And I get it. I kept thinking to myself how many times I whacked my head when I was younger and no one gave it a second thought. It's a different world.

And I WISH I could turn it off.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 14, 2022 05:02PM
That's scary stuff. Yes definitely keep an eye on her.

Grateful11
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 14, 2022 05:16PM
Sounds like a good report from the doctor, but sorry she was injured.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: March 15, 2022 12:11AM
Scary to black out like that, even brieflly! So glad you got her to the doctor...just in case.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 15, 2022 10:33AM
Good of her to wear a helmet.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 15, 2022 04:07PM
Helmet FTW.

What are the recs for her to do? IIRC reading was too intensive but dumb TV shows at low volume were OK. Walks outside?
Date: March 15, 2022 05:33PM
Yep. Pretty much dumb tv shows.

Walks outside would probably be good.

The doc told her no strenuous exercise. So naturally, my daughter is like, ok, I can do some light cardio. Maybe get in some core work. And the doc is like no. no. NO. What is wrong with you??? Clearly, the word "strenuous" means different things to the doc and my daughter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020