advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AirDrop troubleshooting at wits end
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 14, 2022 04:49PM
I've had a nerve frazzling day and I'm at the end of my rope. In an environment with two Macs and two iPhones I can use AirDrop to send files between both Macs. I can use Airdrop to send files from both Macs to both iPhones. I can use AirDrop to send files from one iPhone to one Mac. I can use AirDrop to send from the other iPhone to the other Mac. But for whatever reason, I cannot send files from iPhone A to Mac B nor from iPhone B to Mac A.

AirDrop set on all devices to Everyone (not great for security, I know, but I'm not that worried about a proximity drive by attack atm) no Apple IDs in use on the Macs anyway. Each iPhone has a different Apple ID on it. Different versions of mac- and i- OS are in use across these devices with one Mac and Phone each being current and one being previous release or two.

And, just for fun, it seems like some days either the last iPhone can't send to the first iPhone but it CAN send to the Mac it usually can't see.

Then there's a visitor's device that can send to the last iPhone but doesn't see the device name enumerating properly.

Frustrated that one of these 'it just works' things often doesn't... and right now I need to get a larger than usual document off the iPhone and onto the Mac for editing. Yes I could email or maybe connect a cable or possibly turn on file sharing and shuffle it over the wifi... but I find my wifi in more remote parts of my domicile gets ~20mbsp while AirDrop can get 500+

g=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AirDrop troubleshooting at wits end
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 14, 2022 04:54PM
i know at some point even though a phone and a mac showed having AirDrop using them between the phone and the mac was dependent on the OS of one and/or the other.

i don't remember details but i do remember having that frustration a few years ago and found out the compatibility issue.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 14, 2022 05:09PM
I spent WEEKS trying to get AirDrop to work...
I finally gave up, and though it works now on my current devices, I don't bother to use it. Apple pissed away weeks of my time with their "not ready for prime time" feature, I'm not wasting a single more minute on getting it to work.
Back to a work-flow that doesn't piss me off.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 14, 2022 05:32PM
Paul F.
I spent WEEKS trying to get AirDrop to work...
I finally gave up, and though it works now on my current devices, I don't bother to use it. Apple pissed away weeks of my time with their "not ready for prime time" feature, I'm not wasting a single more minute on getting it to work.
Back to a work-flow that doesn't piss me off.

Sorry apple pissed you off so badly. AirDrop really has made life between gadgets quite easy.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: hal
Date: March 14, 2022 05:50PM
I've found over the years that airdrop works when you have hardware and software of all devices are the same vintage. Back when I was running 10.9 on my mac, my iphone and imac wouldn't see each other in airdrop. But with the 2017 imac at 10.14 and iOS 13 on the iphone 7, it works great.

ps - and airdrop (when working) is AWESOME!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2022 05:51PM by hal.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: March 14, 2022 06:09PM
Just yesterday I AirDropped a DVD video file VTS.VOB (Remember those!) from a White MacBook 2008 running Lion OS X 10.7.5 to my MBP running Monterey 12.2. Worked perfectly.

Somehow my wife keeps finding old DVDs that must be archived. Sigh.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 14, 2022 07:07PM
Gabester,

Try running Disk Utility First Aid on both Macs, and reboot both iPhones several times. I was hav ing that trouble with my iPhone 8+ and my M1 mini, both on the latest OS. My iPhone could receive, but not send. That solved my problem.

Most of my problems (like this one) show up immediately after an OS update, where some little instruction or file failed to get put away properly.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 14, 2022 07:24PM
Also remember that for AirDrop to work, BOTH wireless and Bluetooth have to be active on all the devices, and of course they all have to be on the same wireless network.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Spiff
Date: March 14, 2022 07:59PM
I will say that it is device specific and OS specific. I had the same situation. I eventually gave up.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 15, 2022 05:10AM
AirDrop works between my 'Phone 12 mini, iOQ 14 and 15, and my 2012 MB and M1 MBA.

It also worked with my SE2020 and MB.

It doesn't work with my 2012 mini, Sierra, and my 'Phone.

All OSs and all hardware must be in minimal alignment.

It also may have worked with my SE2020, 12 mini, and my 2018 mini, but I can't recall to a certainty.

But — and I cannot lie — it's never worked seamlessly, flawlessly, consistently, ever.

Sometime it would work perfectly the first time, and then not for the next eight tries.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 15, 2022 09:32AM
PeterB
...of course they all have to be on the same wireless network.

No, in fact AirDrop is supposed to be completely independent of whatever networks the devices might be connected to... (although if you're using the version where you can only be found by "contacts" then network connectivity might assist with finding the devices... but to me that utterly defeats the purpose which is to quickly share files between two Apple devices without connecting them to the same network. Especially since said network might be far slower due to distance to the WiFi base station or repeater and signal attenuation vs AirDrop needing the devices to be pretty close together but usually much much faster than the WiFi network.

When it works. Which as I was complaining is never consistent and often irritating that device A can see device B and send files to it but device B can't see device A to send files to it; but usually device B can see device C which CAN see device A, so I usually just play that game.

Question - with APFS if you send, say, a 2GB file from one device to another via AirDrop then resend the same file a few minutes later, does that use 4GB of space or does the receiving device recognize the incoming file is indentical and just save a separate clone?

g=
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 15, 2022 10:05AM
.....have had issues too.....tends to be systems on older OSes vs. newer ones.....don't seem to work together [ but just a guess ]....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 15, 2022 10:16AM
NewtonMP2100
.....have had issues too.....tends to be systems on older OSes vs. newer ones.....don't seem to work together [ but just a guess ]....

Agreed, but what's crazy is iPhone B (running 14.x) can see an M1 MacBook Air running 12.2.1 and iPhone A running 15.x, but not an M1 Pro MacBook Pro running 12.2.1. Today. Tomorrow it might be some different combination.

And device uptime certainly seems to play a factor.

g=
Posted by: hal
Date: March 15, 2022 02:32PM
gabester
NewtonMP2100

Agreed, but what's crazy is iPhone B (running 14.x) can see an M1 MacBook Air running 12.2.1 and iPhone A running 15.x, but not an M1 Pro MacBook Pro running 12.2.1. Today. Tomorrow it might be some different combination.

And device uptime certainly seems to play a factor.

just like networking can get fuzzy with too much uptime
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 15, 2022 07:54PM
gabester
PeterB
...of course they all have to be on the same wireless network.

No, in fact AirDrop is supposed to be completely independent of whatever networks the devices might be connected to...

That's inconsistent with the error messages I've received when it hasn't worked... when I looked it up, it was explicitly stated (at least for my iDevices) that they had to be on the same wireless network.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020