Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 14, 2022 10:30PM
Poll
22 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Is this a great song?

Just heard this version by Don Henley on Howard Stern from 2015
[youtu.be]

I really love this song, and I love the Ataris version as well, except where they replace "Deadhead" with "Black Flag" is sing "Milkmen"(The Dead Milkmen)
[youtu.be]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Boys of Summer
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 14, 2022 11:22PM
Like the song, although I couldn't stand it after the first 9,000 times I heard it. Now I'm back to liking it.

This song goes well with the Robert Plant solo record of that era, too.

(Thanks for the Mojo Nixon reference!)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 15, 2022 12:00AM
mrbigstuff

Except the Honeydrippers was not a “Robert Plant solo” project:

The Honeydrippers were a rock and roll band of the 1980s, deriving their name from Roosevelt Sykes, an American blues singer also known as "Honeydripper". Former Led Zeppelin lead singer Robert Plant formed the group in 1981 to satisfy his long-time goal in having a rock band with a heavy rhythm and blues basis. Formed originally in Worcestershire, the band was also composed of fellow former Led Zeppelin member Jimmy Page; Jeff Beck (a former Yardbirds member like Page); and other friends and well-known studio musicians including original Judas Priest guitarist Ernest Chataway. The band released only one recording, an EP titled The Honeydrippers: Volume One, on 12 November 1984.

[en.wikipedia.org]

It is what it is.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 15, 2022 12:42AM
It's a better song than Freebird.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 15, 2022 05:17AM
N-OS X-tasy!
mrbigstuff

The Honeydrippers were a rock and roll band of the 1980s, deriving their name from Roosevelt Sykes, an American blues singer also known as "Honeydripper". Former Led Zeppelin lead singer Robert Plant formed the group in 1981 to satisfy his long-time goal in having a rock band with a heavy rhythm and blues basis. Formed originally in Worcestershire, the band was also composed of fellow former Led Zeppelin member Jimmy Page; Jeff Beck (a former Yardbirds member like Page); and other friends and well-known studio musicians including original Judas Priest guitarist Ernest Chataway. The band released only one recording, an EP titled The Honeydrippers: Volume One, on 12 November 1984.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Um, Robert Plant has had several solo albums, not just with the Honeydrippers. “Pictures at Eleven” and “The Principle of Moments” being the two more notable ones of the late 80s. I really liked “Big Log” and “In the Mood” from those albums.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 15, 2022 06:26AM
freeradical
It's a better song than Freebird.

But.... (Waves mullet and lighter angrily..)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 15, 2022 06:26AM
....what are the boys.....wearing....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 15, 2022 08:44AM
rz
N-OS X-tasy!
mrbigstuff

[en.wikipedia.org]

Um, Robert Plant has had several solo albums, not just with the Honeydrippers. “Pictures at Eleven” and “The Principle of Moments” being the two more notable ones of the late 80s. I really liked “Big Log” and “In the Mood” from those albums.

Exactly
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 15, 2022 10:13AM
good song.
I worked the 1st farm aid in Indiana a few eeks back.
Don Henley - c u next tuesday.
Resulted in my removal of the Eagles, whom I liked, but wouldn't miss, out of the rotation until very recently.
The little bastard was a close 2nd, but he was a much better songwriter, so he stayed in.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 15, 2022 02:18PM
It’s got Larry Klein during his fretless bass period. That alone qualifies it.

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2022 02:26PM by JoeM.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 15, 2022 03:21PM
.....does this include.....Billy Bean.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 15, 2022 03:55PM
mrbigstuff
Like the song, although I couldn't stand it after the first 9,000 times I heard it. Now I'm back to liking it.

Yep, I remember all the airplay way back when I still listened to music on the radio. We had a boom box set up at our assembly line job. We would literally HATE it when they played the same songs over and over.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: March 15, 2022 04:25PM
I liked that song, and the album it was on, a lot when they came out... which was when I was in high school and a year or so before my Pretentiousness Filters started to develop. Henley's been a lot harder to take since then...

Although I do have to give him credit for jumping up on stage at the Hole In The Wall to sing "Don Henley Must Die" with Mojo way back when. I was living about four blocks away from that bar when it happened and didn't go to the show out of pure sloth. Regretted it ever since...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2022 04:31PM by Will Collier.
Date: March 15, 2022 04:58PM
If you haven't seen this from Mike Campbell, definitely worthwhile.

[youtu.be]
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 15, 2022 07:42PM
mrbigstuff
If you haven't seen this from Mike Campbell, definitely worthwhile.

[youtu.be]

I love the informative videos Mike Campbell has been doing on different songs he's been involved with. We got an early Linn Drum and an OBX along with a few other synths at a studio I managed back then and I can remember going through exactly what he said about data backups on cassettes. Having that gear was amazing when it all first came out. I still have boxes of data cassettes from tunes back in the 80's down in my basement.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020