advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SLS Artemis started roll out to pad earlier today... Mar 17th...
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: March 18, 2022 12:18AM
[mobile.twitter.com]

[www.space.com]

Not sure what time it’s anticipated to arrive at the pad... looks to be getting close on nasa.gov

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2022 01:03AM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SLS Artemis started roll out to pad earlier today... Mar 17th...
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: March 18, 2022 01:01AM
Just checked here at 2:14 ET, rocket is getting pretty close to position... should look pretty cool when the rocket moves into the flood lights at the launch site...

Currently watching it on NASA app on Apple TV, under the “NASA TV: Media” tab

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2022 01:05AM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 18, 2022 08:38AM
When is the launch planned? This mission is just a joyride around the moon, right? They wanted to prove the equipment.

edit: An article I read says that the launch date is dependent upon the results of a top down launch dress rehearsal. Likely late April or early may at the earliest. I hope no one steals the catalytic converters off of it while it's parked for 3 months.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2022 08:42AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 18, 2022 11:30AM
I'm glad they've finally (6 years behind schedule and $8.75 Billion over-budget) gotten to this point.

SLS, at close to 4 BILLION per flight, will only fly 4 to 6 times before it's replaced. They can't can the whole program without loss of face... but they should have six years ago.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: gabester
Date: March 18, 2022 12:29PM
Paul F.
I'm glad they've finally (6 years behind schedule and $8.75 Billion over-budget) gotten to this point.

SLS, at close to 4 BILLION per flight, will only fly 4 to 6 times before it's replaced. They can't can the whole program without loss of face... but they should have six years ago.

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that they should have kept flying the damn STS versus spending money on this. But then we'd have never gotten to a point where we'd have SpaceX and others launching humans to the ISS and planning payloads for the moon.

And hopefully SLS is only flown 3 times before the massively reduced costs of Starship are realized. They've already moved Europa Clipper over to a Falcon Heavy.

g=
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 18, 2022 12:51PM
gabester
Paul F.

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that they should have kept flying the damn STS versus spending money on this. But then we'd have never gotten to a point where we'd have SpaceX and others launching humans to the ISS and planning payloads for the moon.

And hopefully SLS is only flown 3 times before the massively reduced costs of Starship are realized. They've already moved Europa Clipper over to a Falcon Heavy.

Unfortunately, that was impossible. The hugely inflated cost to operate the Shuttle (only TWO billion dollar a flight) ate 100% of the budget - there was nothing left to develop SLS.
This is why NASA recommended ceasing the Shuttle program in 2004. It was closed down in 2011, after the last ISS component that required the Shuttle was launched.

And yes, hopefully Starship takes up the missions of the SLS, so SLS can be taken out back behind the barn and shot!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 18, 2022 01:05PM

so SLS can be taken out back behind the barn and shot!

Shelby announced his intention to retire a year ago. There is a chance now.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 18, 2022 08:25PM
The Military Industrial Complex won't let that one die.

And keep in mind that SpaceX does get contracts from NASA. They're not Delos Harriman here..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020