advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
End of an era for County music: Ernest Tubb's Record Shop is closing
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 18, 2022 02:07PM
Developers bought it. One more iconic place about to go. It's on my bucket list and I'll try to be there tomorrow or next week.

"If we had a question about a certain musician or artist, sometimes we’d just call them and ask."

"Lonely people across the country would call us late into the night to ask about records they never intended to buy, just to have someone to talk to, some reference point for engaging with another voice in the cold, uncaring world. Yes, those are our people"

[variety.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: End of an era for County music: Ernest Tubb's Record Shop is closing
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 18, 2022 02:51PM
This is a real loss - so much American country music history was made in this shop. Heartbreaking.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 18, 2022 03:04PM
I only recently realized that the Tower Records where I spent many of my young years was the very first Tower Records. I miss it, but it's the two used record shops that I used to frequent in later years where I actually went in there just to chat with the owner if I didn't have anything to buy.
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 18, 2022 03:19PM
Oh, Tower Recods…brings back memories. You could find it at Towers.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 18, 2022 03:30PM
I'm really trying to not sound like the middle aged dude who bemoans the loss of cultural and local icons but we've lost a bunch here, too, like this one, [stereojacks.com]
inc news yesterday about the last place for cheap beer and pizza in Cambridge. Ack!

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 18, 2022 05:00PM
When I moved to the Atlanta metro area in 2000, Tower Records was one of those names I knew from media but never lived near one. I visited the ATL Tower location once in the early 2000s before they closed, it took me about 40 minutes to get there, and yeah it was big but in a Circuit City sort of way. Meh. I won't pretend it would have been anything like being in an L.A. location years before.

In late-'70s Missouri we had Atlanta's Peaches Records and Tapes; I still have my one (and original) Peaches crate. Today you can pay stupid money for an official fake). Missouri's Streetside Records was a small but very good chain (for Missouri) until the mid-80s.

mrbigstuff
I'm really trying to not sound like the middle aged dude who bemoans the loss of cultural and local icons but we've lost a bunch here, too, like this one, [stereojacks.com]
inc news yesterday about the last place for cheap beer and pizza in Cambridge. Ack!

Without culture, what do we really have? Appliances? Re-runs and remasters?

I suppose it's largely cyclical. ETRS goes away because Lower Broad in Nashville basically became gentrified as far as business real estate values are concerned. After decades of neglect people begin to see old, campy neon signs or whatever as unique. It happens. Other independent shops still exist, but in areas that won't ever become "iconic" because that doesn't really happen without cities (as opposed to suburbs etc.) but that's a rant for another day.
Posted by: RE:up
Date: March 18, 2022 11:11PM
Ernest Tubb's number, Two Wrongs don't Make a Right,
At the Grand Ol Opry every Saturday night.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 19, 2022 08:14PM
samintx
Oh, Tower Recods…brings back memories. You could find it at Towers.

Tower Records, Piccadilly Circus, London in the late 80’s was always a madhouse. You would get dizzy just walking through the door.

richorlin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020