advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is anyone listening to Short Wave Radio?
Posted by: gadje
Date: March 19, 2022 04:42PM
I am not interested in transmission, only reception.

Is there any good reception in the US? what radio models do you recommend?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is anyone listening to Short Wave Radio?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 19, 2022 06:45PM
Can't answer your question, but could we communicate with Ukrainians using shortwave?

Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 19, 2022 06:46PM
gadje

I posted about this on the other side, that I had to buy a new emergency radio -- and that when I did, I wanted to make sure to get something that would get shortwave as well as having all the other important emergency functions. It's a pretty decent all-around emergency device, at what I thought was a very reasonable price for the features, but I have nothing against which to compare it. If you're interested, I'll dig up the link.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 19, 2022 07:01PM
PeterB
gadje

I posted about this on the other side, that I had to buy a new emergency radio -- and that when I did, I wanted to make sure to get something that would get shortwave as well as having all the other important emergency functions. It's a pretty decent all-around emergency device, at what I thought was a very reasonable price for the features, but I have nothing against which to compare it. If you're interested, I'll dig up the link.

Peter, I am interested in this type of radio, too. Will follow.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 19, 2022 07:15PM
[www.sdr-radio.com]

[radiofidelity.com]

[www.hamtronics.com]

and worldwide radio Firefox extension.

Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu make the best, but they ain't inexpensive.
They'd be best with a dipole antenna or (even more money) a 3 to 5 element beam antenna aka HF yagi.

some reading required

I had one of these when I was a kid. Paid less than this price when I bought it new. It was excellent. But I'd guess it's 40 to 50 yo. could be an issue with drying out caps.

!#$@@$#!

Date: March 19, 2022 07:22PM
Ammo
PeterB
gadje

Peter, I am interested in this type of radio, too. Will follow.

Double-checked, it's this one. I was a little wary, because some of the reviews seemed to be fake/inaccurate, but It's turned out to be a pretty decent little device... I especially like the fact that it has so many different ways to power, and the digital tuning is actually pretty good for a device like this. The sound quality is not spectacular, but it DOES have a headphone jack, so you could potentially hook up external speakers or headphones.

[www.amazon.com]

Edit: in terms of receiving SW stations, I posted about it on the other side: [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 07:33PM by PeterB.
Posted by: gadje
Date: March 19, 2022 07:28PM
I bought this one, $20, doesn't catch shit on short wave. Well, there was a station or two, but very noisy.

[www.amazon.com]

So I am looking for a better receiver. I imagine spending 10x as much would probably be required to get a decent reception. And yes, a good antenna.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 07:28PM by gadje.
Date: March 19, 2022 07:35PM
gadje
I bought this one, $20, doesn't catch shit on short wave. Well, there was a station or two, but very noisy.

[www.amazon.com]

So I am looking for a better receiver. I imagine spending 10x as much would probably be required to get a decent reception. And yes, a good antenna.

I saw that one too when I was shopping for the emergency radio... but I wanted something more for emergencies (hurricanes!) and not so much for the SW.

I guess one question is how to judge reception? What I've noticed is that it's very dependent on the time of day -- some stations only come in during the daytime, others at night, and directionality of the antenna is very important, at least for my radio... if the antenna isn't pointed exactly the right way, I won't get good reception.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 19, 2022 07:37PM
You may want to look into SDR - software defined radio. SDR starts with a small USB dongle that contains a wide band receiver and works with software on your computer to locate and tune into these frequencies. If you Google SDR info you’ll find many links. For about $40, you’ll find bundles with the SDR and 3 antenna’s (different lengths for tuning different frequencies). Lon.tv posted a video on the setup and use a few days ago.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 19, 2022 07:54PM
My wife gave me a Zenith Transoceanic short wave radio awhile back. I strung the appropriate size wire across the yard on a warm summer day but didn’t hear much. Tried at night with same result. Apparently it’s highly dependent on atmospheric conditions. Haven’t tried it since then. I also have an emergency radio from Amazon with short wave and I couldn’t get anything on that either. I’d put an antenna on the roof if it would work better but I don’t know anything about SW.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 19, 2022 08:59PM
You can spend $20 on a SW radio, or you can spend $1K or more.

Most people, even a casual listener will want more than a $20 radio provides. The trouble is finding that sweet spot on the price continuum. Does for example, spending $300 get you something noticeably better than a $200 radio? That's very tough to call. You need to really educate yourself on all the various specifications and capabilities that different radios give. There is a pretty step learning curve.

I'd suggest that you go to SW radio forum and start poking around.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 19, 2022 09:52PM
Fritz
[www.sdr-radio.com]

[radiofidelity.com]

[www.hamtronics.com]

and worldwide radio Firefox extension.

Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu make the best, but they ain't inexpensive.
They'd be best with a dipole antenna or (even more money) a 3 to 5 element beam antenna aka HF yagi.

some reading required

I had one of these when I was a kid. Paid less than this price when I bought it new. It was excellent. But I'd guess it's 40 to 50 yo. could be an issue with drying out caps.

my marine radio gear has always been Icon, and they are local. The buildings they are in now used to be part of my old employer's campus.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: March 19, 2022 10:03PM
OK, so for the fun of it, I just broke out the emergency radio (had stuffed it away for emergency use) and turned on the SW ... I am definitely getting at least 5-10 stations, many of which I can't tell what they are because they're in a foreign language. There was also at least one broadcasting music, one with religious programming, and a couple with sports. Most of these were in the < 10000 Khz range.

Several of them the reception is pretty weak, but there are at least a couple that are coming through VERY strongly, including one with English speakers (with distinctively Southern accents) who were discussing the exact subject of shortwave operation in Ukraine/Russia. 4840 Khz. I think they said they're WWCR? That'd be Nashville...? [www.wwcr.com]

For a device of this cost and additional functionality, I am fine with this level of operation for SW... I wouldn't have even expected this much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2022 10:03PM by PeterB.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 20, 2022 12:03AM
DX SW is highly dependent on a good radio (front-end sensitivity, for one metric), atmospherics, and as mentioned, a good antenna.

Stringing a 'long-wire' isn't convenient or practical for most people, but it almost always beats a telescoping antenna supplied with most SW radios.

I remember the days when a Zenith Transoceanic was the cats-meow for casual SW listeners.

You may be in an area where antenna orientation is more critical than most.

I'd hate to think 'they don't make 'em like they used to'.

And I don't mean antennas.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 20, 2022 12:43PM
lost in space
Can't answer your question, but could we communicate with Ukrainians using shortwave?

You would need a Ham (Amateur) Radio and an appropriate license to use it. Plus a decent antenna outside.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: March 21, 2022 06:01PM
I have an old Hallicrafters that a friend picked up for me at the TRW swap meet for $15 I think. It has tubes and an earphone jack. The last time I tried it, it picked up stations from other countries, but I can't remember which direction worked best.

To get short wave stations at long distance, there has to be a sufficient level of ionization in the Heaviside layer well above the surface of the earth. The strength of ionization depends on what part of the sunspot cycle the sun is in.

[www.swpc.noaa.gov]

Right now we seem to be about half-way up the current cycle which should allow for some long range propagation, although it will depend on which frequency band you are listening to.

You can look up what frequencies work best for long range propagation. One site I found says 49 meters (right around 5.9 to 6.2 MHz) is best.

[hamuniverse.com]

Some bands work best at night and apparently some work better during the daytime. My experience is that the night always worked better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020