advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I'm addicted to CDs
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 21, 2022 04:50PM
The music type, in jewel cases or whatever other means of protection. I've got a ton (maybe 1000?) but I keep buying more at the thrift shops (10 for $5!) or just getting them for free. I have to get rid of a ton but I buy more. Not looking for a cure, just commiseration.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I'm addicted to CDs
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 21, 2022 05:14PM
You'll find no push back from this quarter. I have a CD library of about 700 titles and also continue to buy more. It is the last, best physical media that will be available for music - take advantage while you can.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2022 05:15PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: March 21, 2022 05:14PM
Beware of bit rot.

When I ripped my CDs a couple of decades ago, many were already showing signs of decay.

The Sony mini-CDs that they gave me for buying an original Discman, and my original (import) Queen CD singles were almost completely delaminated.

Date: March 21, 2022 05:16PM
Tiangou
Beware of bit rot.

When I ripped my CDs a couple of decades ago, many were already showing signs of decay.

The Sony mini-CDs that they gave me for buying an original Discman, and my original (import) Queen CD singles were almost completely delaminated.

I've never experienced that with even a single CD in my collection yet, some having been purchased as early as 1985.

It is what it is.
Date: March 21, 2022 05:19PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Tiangou
Beware of bit rot.

I've never experienced that with even a single CD in my collection yet, some having been purchased as early as 1985.

I've only experienced that condition with CDs that were exposed to heat extremes, and/or left out in variable weather. It's happened very, very infrequently so I never really gave it much thought. at any rate, I can examine all CDs prior to buying, and much to my amazement, some are literally brand new.
Date: March 21, 2022 05:33PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Tiangou
Beware of bit rot.

Double-check those CDs from the 1980s. I'll bet you can see "coffee stains" in a lot of them.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 21, 2022 05:39PM
Ive got 100+ of 80s alternative, sitting in a wood storage, can just see label, haven't been touched in 20 years.

Normal stuff, morrisey, cure, ferry, talking heads, who knows.

Cant imagine they are worth anything to anyone, not even sure goodwill wants them.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 21, 2022 05:43PM
Bit rot usually starts from an improper seal at the edge. Oxygen gets in and the aluminum foil oxidizes.

That's why archival CD-Rs were made with gold foil. Mitsui Gold. I think Kodak too.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 21, 2022 05:43PM
Wanna come to my house? Bring a box!

Date: March 21, 2022 06:03PM
mrbigstuff
N-OS X-tasy!
Tiangou
Beware of bit rot.

I've only experienced that condition with CDs that were exposed to heat extremes, and/or left out in variable weather. It's happened very, very infrequently so I never really gave it much thought. at any rate, I can examine all CDs prior to buying, and much to my amazement, some are literally brand new.

Well, there you go. My CDs were always extremely well cared for. If I wanted a copy to use in the car, I would burn a CD-R version and store the original.

It is what it is.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: March 21, 2022 06:08PM
mrbigstuff
The music type, in jewel cases or whatever other means of protection. I've got a ton (maybe 1000?) but I keep buying more at the thrift shops (10 for $5!) or just getting them for free. I have to get rid of a ton but I buy more. Not looking for a cure, just commiseration.

MBS-

What do use to listen to your CDs?

I'm shopping for a CD player.

But if you or others want to share their systems, I'm always entertaining the idea of upgrading my audio gear.

Thumbs up.

Rob
Date: March 21, 2022 06:20PM
Tiangou
N-OS X-tasy!
Tiangou
Beware of bit rot.

Double-check those CDs from the 1980s. I'll bet you can see "coffee stains" in a lot of them.

Granted it's been a few years now, but eight years ago I ripped my entire library to Apple Lossless (which hopefully means I'll never need to do it again!) and had 0.00% incidence of disc rot.

Since then (and even before, actually), the CDs have been stored in moving boxes in my closet, which means they have been stored in the dark in a climate controlled environment -- pretty close to optimal conditions.

It is what it is.
Date: March 21, 2022 06:21PM
robfilms
mrbigstuff

MBS-

But if you or others want to share their systems, I'm always entertaining the idea of upgrading my audio gear.

Thumbs up.

Rob

The digital to analog audio converter is key. That's all I've got. Similar with DVD players. The mpeg-2 converter component makes a HUGE difference. Good ones cost as much as a whole cheap DVD player does.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 21, 2022 07:10PM
Nothing wrong with using & appreciating “old” technology. As others have mentioned, back them up to more modern technology (say USB thumb drives) and you should be set for many more years. old fogey smiley
Posted by: hal
Date: March 21, 2022 08:34PM
could be worse... at least you aren't addicted to collecting Ferraris.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 21, 2022 09:44PM
hal
could be worse... at least you aren't addicted to collecting Ferraris.

I’ve got a Ferrari key chain on layaway.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 21, 2022 10:07PM
DVD player in the car plays MP3's, and other compressed audio formats.... ya'know how many CD's ya can rip onto a DL DVD? Like five and a half days worth of 24/7 rock n' roll. Only ~eight DVD's for that 1000 CD collection. But I'm w/ N-tasy; burn CDR's for offsite use/road trips and the like.... a DVD full of songs is too many to scroll/sort thru when you're on the road.

As RX notes, the DtoA converter and other techie stuff that makes CD's play, really does make a huge difference; after having gone thru a myriad of CD players over the years, especially back when the technology was evolving, your ears can really tell as better tech gets used (up to a point). We stopped at the Pioneer Elite player from the 90's which hit the limit of ears + environment.
==
Date: March 21, 2022 10:14PM
robfilms
mrbigstuff

MBS-

Thumbs up.

Rob

I'm a combination cheapskate and broke parent so I use my top of the line, found in a thrift shop, Sony from 1989 that cost $3,000 at the time (got it for $12 about 10 yrs ago), or my Pioneer Elite Blu Ray.player that has a more recent DAC.
Date: March 22, 2022 05:34AM
Buzz
DVD player in the car plays MP3's, and other compressed audio formats.... ya'know how many CD's ya can rip onto a DL DVD? Like five and a half days worth of 24/7 rock n' roll. Only ~eight DVD's for that 1000 CD collection. But I'm w/ N-tasy; burn CDR's for offsite use/road trips and the like.... a DVD full of songs is too many to scroll/sort thru when you're on the road.

As RX notes, the DtoA converter and other techie stuff that makes CD's play, really does make a huge difference; after having gone thru a myriad of CD players over the years, especially back when the technology was evolving, your ears can really tell as better tech gets used (up to a point). We stopped at the Pioneer Elite player from the 90's which hit the limit of ears + environment.
==

My Pioneer 5 disk DVD player has a far better picture and sound than my Sony Blu Ray player does. Better MPEG-2 decoder and I assume better D to A audio converter, based on the sound.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: raz
Date: March 22, 2022 08:49AM
I had a buddy over the other night and played my 45 RPM Vinyl re-release of Janis Joplin's "Pearl". The cut of "Bobby McGee" is spectacular, but he wanted to compare it to the CD. About 90 seconds into the latter, I was ordered to turn it off.

In fairness, I have a good (but not ridiculous) turntable and the CD player is a Panasonic DVD. But, still.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: JPK
Date: March 22, 2022 12:46PM
I have as much fun digging through used CD stores as I did going to record stores.

I buy almost all my music. I immediately rip it to iTunes and put the CD in a storage bin in the basement.
I started my process of doing this when he came home from the hospital and I took a week off to be home. I ripped several hundred CDs so I could fill up my new iPod!

My 20 yo has never bought a cd and thinks I am nuts. I tell him I will "always" have a hardcopy back up. Although I can't imagine how long it would take to re-rip my 1,700 cds.

I must also say I recently set up a turntable and started listening to my old LPs. It is glorious. Many of my obscure albums never made it to CD or streaming so it is truly rediscovering and old friend. I forgot how satisfying it was to linearly listen to two sides to a record.

JPK
Date: March 22, 2022 02:28PM
I must also say I recently set up a turntable and started listening to my old LPs. It is glorious. Many of my obscure albums never made it to CD or streaming so it is truly rediscovering and old friend. I forgot how satisfying it was to linearly listen to two sides to a record.

I agree, that's why I keep my vinyl, too. My kids will make the decision to toss or keep if I'm not forced to do so.

Also the engagement one had to have with the music to flip the album is sort of gone now, but perhaps that's just nostalgia.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 22, 2022 03:03PM
mrbigstuff
Also the engagement one had to have with the music to flip the album is sort of gone now, but perhaps that's just nostalgia.

I miss the details of the album covers and liners. I don't miss having to attend to a machine after 20min of listening. Especially those LONG pieces that had to be broken up to fit on vinyl. That was one of the most loved aspects of CD for me.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 22, 2022 06:26PM
I remember getting a killer deal on our first, early model CD player.... "only" $600 for an $800 unit. Another year and a half later, dropped $350 on a Sony that specs that were twice as good (and sold the old $600 one for $200). That was followed by two more advanced Sony's, the last being an ES model, which we still have, along w/ the Pioneer Elite player that's the last into the stable, and has the best sound.

That doesn't count the boomboxes or Sony Discman™ that were used along the way. We actually wore out one of the CD boomboxes, and another broke down, while the Discman still works; with its best use having been for audio accompaniment while in the hospital recovering from a few surgeries until the iPod took over.

Of all the audio formats thru the years, CD's have probably been the most utilitarian.
==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 22, 2022 10:39PM
Right at 1000 CDs myself, and I still buy on occasion, when I really should be downsizing everything.

For all you rippers, what file format do you rip to?

ALAC, AIFF?

FLAC?

I've been using ALAC for a long time, but iT shows wildly different bit-rates, sometimes lower that 320AAC, and I'm not sure what that means.

Often some of them are labeled VRB (yes, I know what that means).

I don't know if I have any ripped to AIFF, so I'm not sure what rate would be indicated in iT if a file was ripped to both AIFF and ALAC.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 23, 2022 02:50PM
If you’ve ripped to ALAC, it’s lossless regardless of bitrate. The container is inherently variable, as is FLAC. It should not report as being AAC nor anything else, however some 16-bit files might dip to below 320kbps if there’s just not much data there?
Date: March 23, 2022 06:46PM
RAMd®d
For all you rippers, what file format do you rip to?

ALAC, AIFF?

AIFF.

Posted by: decay
Date: March 23, 2022 08:09PM
Rip to FLAC cuz it's lossless

---
Date: March 23, 2022 08:49PM
decay
Rip to FLAC cuz it's lossless

So is Apple Lossless, which is what I rip to because it is compatible with my iPod and FLAC isn't.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 182
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020