advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
3rd party email program that forces spell check before sending?
Posted by: dan steinberg
Date: March 21, 2022 04:58PM
Hi there everyone! I am hoping someone may be able to help with an issue I am having.

I use the same desktop mac mini for my personal email and my work email (different accounts).

I use the built in Apple mail for my personal mail. I have it set to "force" spell check before sending, a feature which is super important to me.

I don't want to also use the built in mail program for my work email since I don't like using multiple accounts on one program, too messy and confusing for me and too much chance of accidentally using the wrong outgoing server for personal vs work emails.

So I want to use a "3rd party" email program for my work email and have been trying different ones.

The problem is, no other 3rd party mail program that I have tried, free or paid, has the "force spell check" function like built-in mail does. It underlines mis-spelled words with a red squiggle, but I still miss them. I admit I need the hand-holding of the "force spell check" function.

Programs I have tried and not found this function, free and paid:

Microsoft Outlook 2019
Edison mail
Canary Mail
Spark
Airmail

Also if it helps, my company's work email is based on a gmail business account. I have tried 1-2 of the "gmail centric" email programs, but the ones I tried felt like using the web interface, which I have never liked very much.

Anyone else run into this? I would have thought this would be a very common use case, and was surprised that one of the email programs had this feature that I consider very important. I think I have been taking out for granted on the apple mail program.

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 3rd party email program that forces spell check before sending?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 21, 2022 08:31PM
Dan,

Sounds like you didn't check out Postbox. It has an option called "Check spelling before sending" in settings under Composition in the Typing section. This isn't a feature I use and it's disabled by default. I just enabled it to see what it would do.

Once enabled, it automatically triggered a spell check of the body text of the email before sending the email. It does not check the spelling of the subject. Not sure how it works in comparison to Apple Mail, because this isn't a feature I use in Apple Mail either. But, it did spell check before completing the send mail operation. Sounds like this might be the solution for you.

Here is a link:

[www.postbox-inc.com]

Postbox is one of the better 3rd party email client. Not free but well worth the bucks. Been using it for years in conjunction with Apple Mail on my home and office machines. I use Mail for personal and Postbox for office at home and Mail for office and Postbox for personal at work. The combination works well for me.

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2022 08:39PM by Robert M.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020