advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
whats your favorite homemade taco seasoning mix?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 21, 2022 09:14PM
Alton Brown's recipe is good but I have a wandering eye - [altonbrown.com]

Anyone have a favorite recipe?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: whats your favorite homemade taco seasoning mix?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 21, 2022 09:47PM
I don't but easy on the smoked paprika, that stuff overpowers nearly everything else.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 21, 2022 09:50PM
mrbigstuff
I don't but easy on the smoked paprika, that stuff overpowers nearly everything else.

Then you're not using enough cumin! :-)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 21, 2022 10:15PM
‘ AB'S Chili Powder ‘ sure sounds good.

[altonbrown.com]

Or maybe a combo of the two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2022 10:15PM by btfc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 21, 2022 10:27PM
Wet or dry seasoning? Type of protein?

Looking for something to season taco meat while cooking?

Or to schmear on a taco during/after assembly?

Tacos can be daunting.
==
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 21, 2022 10:40PM
It's amusing how different the Americanized version of a taco is compared to the native versions. The Tacos I became use to in Central America are far simpler and, frankly, tastier.

Grill some onions and maybe green peppers, season some thinly sliced meat (typically beef or chicken) with a little cumin and salt, add the meat to the onions over high heat, when almost done just squeeze a lime over it. Serve it on a lightly grilled corn tortilla with a little cilantro. Done.

If you really want some crunch, thin slice a radish on it. Want it hot? ad a very few pickled serranos (they aren't serranos, but that is the closest I've ever found)

No cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, olives.. that is all Taco Bell.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 21, 2022 10:41PM
Buzz

Tacos can be daunting.
==

Something to season taco meat while cooking. We've been using ground lamb since we have it on hand and its my family's preferred way to eat it. I might go in another direction but it works.

Obviously needs some spice but not too much - my kids are young and sensitive to such things.

This is our starting point - [www.rickbayless.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2022 08:51AM by mattkime.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 21, 2022 11:15PM
Ombligo
It's amusing how different the Americanized version of a taco is compared to the native versions. The Tacos I became use to in Central America are far simpler and, frankly, tastier.

Grill some onions and maybe green peppers, season some thinly sliced meat (typically beef or chicken) with a little cumin and salt, add the meat to the onions over high heat, when almost done just squeeze a lime over it. Serve it on a lightly grilled corn tortilla with a little cilantro. Done.

If you really want some crunch, thin slice a radish on it. Want it hot? ad a very few pickled serranos (they aren't serranos, but that is the closest I've ever found)

No cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, olives.. that is all Taco Bell.

Yes, and let's not forget what is served with fried tortilla chips - salsa! So different.

Although I've seen and had tacos with tomatoes, maybe it's regional.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2022 11:18PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 22, 2022 04:15AM
Matt,

I use Frontier Coop salt-free taco seasoning.Tasty and much easier than whipping up a batch of my own.

[www.amazon.com]

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 22, 2022 07:46AM
.....would this be used on a......Tuesday.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 22, 2022 12:28PM
"Ya know, that's not authentic."

"Ya know, it tastes great and I don't really care."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 22, 2022 03:18PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 22, 2022 05:29PM
mattkime
Buzz

Tacos can be daunting.
==

Something to season taco meat while cooking. We've been using ground lamb since we have it on hand and its my family's preferred way to eat it. I might go in another direction but it works.

Obviously needs some spice but not too much - my kids are young and sensitive to such things.

This is our starting point - [www.rickbayless.com]

Well, that 'splains it a lot better.

Rather than going into the different options for different proteins, since you invoked the magic lamb selection, AKA the unicorn of taco meats, here's our go to.

The two famous gals referenced in the spotlighted article make the best lamb tacos in CONUS at their restaurants. Their newer Socalo restaurant is our go to. Whenever lamb tacos are on the menu in our travels, we have to try 'em. There's an authentic little Mexican joint in a strip mall, out in the San Fernando Valley, that makes a close second, with their lamb barbacoa tacos, ....and your buddy Rick Bayless also has a recipe for that. No clue how it compares to our valley gig's fare, but it may be another option for ya.

(The valley gig is proximal to one of Baby Buzz's old baseball complexes, so it was a regular stop for a number of years,
then a bit of a fond memory stop after baseball ended, but haven't managed to get back there since the pandemic hit.)

==
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 22, 2022 07:35PM
I personally find it hilarious that non-Mexicans consider Mexican Food from Texas and New Mexico 'inauthentic'.

Mexico has many regional variations, when it comes to food, California, Texas and New Mexico are just northern regions, mixed with American Traditions, Just as other areas are mixed with more Caribbean traditions.

EDIT: Plenty of Mexicans from Mexico consider food from el Norte, including the Mexican Border states as inauthentic as well!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2022 10:16PM by Rolando.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020