advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
birding - just saw a big vulture being harassed by a Cooper's Hawk.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 24, 2022 04:12PM
I went out just now to check on the old cat that hangs out here that my neighbors and I feed on the landing 1/2 way up the stairs.

After I set down some food, I looked over the rail and saw a vulture coming right at me from 25' away with a Cooper's hawk right on its tail chirping angrily. The hawks appear to be setting up a nest in one of the oaks again this year.

It was a hell of a siting - I could see the desperation in the vulture's eyes and I've never seen a vulture pumping its wings so hard like that. The hawk was literally just 4-6' behind and was closing in. About 10' from me, they both gained altitude so they could clear the house, but at first, they were both coming right at me. They were both far out of sight a few seconds later after flying over the house so I don't know if the hawk caught up or not.

Last year, I twice saw one of the young hawks harassing one of the adolescent cats that hang out here. There was no way that the hawk could actually have a chance at nabbing the cat, but the cat didn't know that - I've never seen such a miserable cat with a bird just 2' overhead following it along for about 20 yards trying to figure out how to attack, but never quit figuring it out.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: birding - just saw a big vulture being harassed by a Cooper's Hawk.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 24, 2022 04:32PM
Nice! There’s been a resident Cooper’s at my Oregon place for the last few years. Sometimes she’ll check me out. Last summer she landed on a stump about thirty feet away and watched me for a while.

Seeing her fly at high speeds through the trees is really cool.
Date: March 24, 2022 04:36PM
yeah, we had 4 zipping around last year and the adults did the same thing in checking us out occasionally. A couple of times we noticed a bird just sittin there staring. As soon as it knew that we knew it was there, it would take off.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 24, 2022 04:48PM
I bet the tables would have been turned if it was a Mini Cooper's hawk.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 24, 2022 04:59PM
Just wait until the hawks get chased off by smaller bird…
Date: March 24, 2022 05:01PM
cbelt3
Just wait until the hawks get chased off by smaller bird…

didn't see any of that last year except some starlings went after one of the young hawks once.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 24, 2022 05:20PM
We have a bunch of those red headed turkey vultures out here in Roseville.

Even had a set of 4-5 land on a big half tree about 20 feet up and we just walked by... impressive size.

hawks are everywhere, but not sure these are coopers, something different, name escapes me.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Don C
Date: March 24, 2022 08:07PM
Had a nest of Cooper's Hawks nesting in my trees for three or four years at my last house. Best thing I watched was a squirrel up a tree staying on the opposite side of the trunk as a Cooper slowly flew around and around. It eventually flew away; it MIGHT have been a sigh of relief from the squirrel I heard or just a puff of breeze.

One year a chick fell out of the nest and was on the ground in bad shape. We captured it in the cat carrier and took it to Raptor Rehab. They called the next day to say it has died, probably from internal infections.
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 24, 2022 11:27PM
I've had starlings buzz ME several times in my backyard - they must have had a nest nearby. They would always come from behind and were close enough to my head that I could feel the air disturbance from their wings.

I saw a group (murder?) of crows harassing a cat in Seattle once. That cat ran under a bush for cover.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 24, 2022 11:31PM
I used to find soaring hawks and eagles beautiful, but it's been tarnished somewhat from the time I saw a Cooper's Hawk grab a squirrel, fly up onto a tree limb, and rip it apart while alive to eat it. Chunks of bloody squirrel falling onto the grass below. Nature is creepy if you get too close. eye popping smiley

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 25, 2022 12:02AM
Nature is creepy if you get too close.

Indeed.

A few years back, I saw some flavor of hawk chasing down a robin maybe 8-10' over my head, with the robin cheeping wildly and plaintively.

At least that's how I heard it.

Just as the past over me, the hawk snatched the robin and made an instant 180º, with the robin cheeping a couple of times, and then for the robin — nothing.

I was not thrilled with Mother Nature that day, I tell you, even though I begrudgingly admired the proficiency of the hunter.

It reminded me of a Time-Life series of videos showing animals fulfilling the life cycle of animals lower on the food chain.

Fun for the whole family.

There was a Nature or some such series of a beta female jackal who had temerity to get pregnant, drawing the wrath of the alpha female.

The beta was cast out, and when her litter of many pups was born, the alpha would raid the litter while the mother when hunting, and kill a pup by shaking it died, presumably from a broken neck.

There was footage of the beta mom edging a way to hunt while watching the alpha slowly advancing for another kill, with each step of the beta.

Sympathy for the jackals.

Who'dda thought.

Somewhat inured to the sight of a big cat bringing down a springbok, I'm still pleased when the hunted escapes death.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 25, 2022 01:24AM
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 25, 2022 06:56AM
I hope our Cooper Hawk comes back. Need to thin the squirrel and rabbit population. Idiot down the street feeds the squirrels and they're digging up everyone's lawns burying nuts. Plus, the Hawk takes out the pigeons kept by someone on the street behind us.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 25, 2022 07:24AM
I've seen a bunch of pigeons staying on the tail of a Red Tail Hawk in Queens once. I don't think they were chasing it(?) but trying to stay in back of it rather than getting grabbed and eaten.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 188
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020