advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Automotive Oil: Synthetic vs Conventional. Are stores carrying conventional?
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 25, 2022 07:53AM
I was in my local Store and wanted to change the oil on an older Toyota and I could not see a lot of conventional oil. Almost everything had the word Synthetic on it. Am I imagining things or do I need to open up to a wider area of shopping? (Another Store)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Automotive Oil: Synthetic vs Conventional. Are stores carrying conventional?
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: March 25, 2022 08:02AM
Our Walmart has Vavoline conventional motor oil in different viscosities.
Re: Automotive Oil: Synthetic vs Conventional. Are stores carrying conventional?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 25, 2022 08:09AM
Most retailers will let you search local inventory online.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 25, 2022 09:05AM
‘Conventional” oil is still WIDELY available. Expand your search.
Date: March 25, 2022 09:54AM
OH, and what's the deal , if I changed to Synthetic and then want to go back to Conventional, I have this 2009 Corolla with VTI Gear that looses oil at night, then clatters at cold startup. And it also has a leak in head gasket between cylinder 1 and 2. I only use it for baby trips, and at stops put it in neutral.

I will have to get some Toyota Suggestions on Toyotanation as to what a good viscosity would be for that engine, with those symptoms
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 25, 2022 10:01AM
I don't think a change in viscosity is going to fix a leaking head gasket. (other leaks too??) Get it fixed and use the oil recommended in your manual.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 25, 2022 10:28AM
Your lucky to find oil at all right now. Shell Rotella T4 diesel engine oil is next to impossible to find. It takes like 14 gallons to change all the equipment in my son's operation. Their excuse is they can't get the resin to make the containers.

Grateful11
Posted by: DP
Date: March 25, 2022 10:37AM
My local Auto Zone and Advance Auto stores carry conventional oils.

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 25, 2022 10:38AM
Lowes even.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 25, 2022 11:32AM
There is no conventional oil anywhere in my town.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 25, 2022 01:19PM
‘Conventional” oil is still WIDELY available. Expand your search.

I'd agree with this, under normal circumstances, and this may be an abnormal situation, but definitely expand your search.

OH, and what's the deal , if I changed to Synthetic and then want to go back to Conventional, I have this 2009 Corolla with VTI Gear that looses oil at night...

If your ride loses more than a few drops of oil at night, don't bother with synthetic.

You're wasting your money for oil that you're only renting.

Because synthetics remain more viscous at lower temperatures, you might even lose more oil with a synthetic.

But maybe it doesn't get that could where you are.

Does the leaks stop when the car's been parked for a few days, i.e. only leaks after it's been run, and then stops?

I also agree changing viscosities will have no affect on your leak(s), that's not what viscosity range is about.

If your ride were a good candidate for a synthetic, you'd want a 100% synthetic, and not a blend.

There is no conventional oil anywhere in my town.

Wow.

I've had no occasion to look.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 25, 2022 05:22PM
I guess I knew that the oil, wouldn't fix a leak in head gasket between 1 and 2, just bring up too many thoughts in one thread, I guess.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 25, 2022 07:15PM
fair enough. Well, if it's leaking, even a synthetic blend will save you money. I'm WELL acquainted with leaking ICEs. Rumor has it that Detroit Diesels leak through the pores in the iron. That is MY experience.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2022 07:35PM by Racer X.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 26, 2022 02:27PM
I would find the cheapest oil I could find for that car. It isn’t going to make much of a difference in a car they leaks and needs a head gasket.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 26, 2022 03:30PM
" Their excuse is they can't get the resin to make the containers."

I'm surprised your son isn't buying the required oil by the 55 gallon drum. He'd probably get a better price if he bought in bulk (and would have fewer worries about running out).
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 27, 2022 12:28AM
testcase
" Their excuse is they can't get the resin to make the containers."

I'm surprised your son isn't buying the required oil by the 55 gallon drum. He'd probably get a better price if he bought in bulk (and would have fewer worries about running out).

or at least the 5 gallon pails. When you buy the pails, look at industrial supply houses, or commercial fuel stations. The Costcos here in Seattle sell the fully synthetic diesel Rotella.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020