advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Random Shortage, Local or No? Canned catfood
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 25, 2022 01:00PM
Luckily, our ladies also do dry, for which the supply has been holding.
But Wallyword and the local supermarket chain shelves are bare of canned cat food. National and house brands. We asked and they say shipments fly off the shelves when they do come in.

Is it like that elsewhere for MRFrs?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Random Shortage, Local or No? Canned catfood
Posted by: jims
Date: March 25, 2022 01:03PM
Same thing here in Western Arkansas.

jims
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 25, 2022 01:03PM
....seems to be due to aluminum can shortage.....

‘Not completely COVID-19’s fault’: Here’s why there’s a wet cat food shortage

....Supply chain issues have been wreaking havoc at stores for some time now, and cat owners are the latest to feel their impact.

There’s currently a nationwide shortage of cans of wet cat food, according to Dr. Farbod Farhadi, an associate professor of business at Roger Williams University.

“This time, it’s not completely COVID-19’s fault,” Farhadi said.

He said the United States is one of the biggest importers of aluminum from China, where a manufacturing plant had to shut down late last year.

“There was an accident in one of the — like a major accident — in one of the aluminum production manufacturing factories in China,” Farhadi explained.

That accident combined with an increase in pet ownership and a shift by some businesses (like breweries) to using aluminum cans has greatly increased demand and caused the shortage.

“People are using more and there’s less production, and then there was that accident in China, so all together caused this shortage,” Farhadi said.

Stop & Shop spokesperson Caroline Medeiros confirmed to 12 News that the supermarket chain is seeing a shortage.

“Like other retailers, Stop & Shop is seeing supply challenges with pet food, specifically wet cat food,” she wrote in an email. “The challenges are caused by a surge in demand over the last 18 months, as well as raw material shortages, including aluminum, which is used to make the cans.”

It’s unclear at this time how long the shortage will last, according to Farhadi. If you’re having a problem finding wet cat food, he suggested talking to your veterinarian about possible alternatives......

why.....shortage.....?!

Canned pet food shortage continues amid supply chain woes

.....Pet owners may have a harder time than usual searching for their dog or cat’s favorite canned food and — you guessed it — the supply chain backlogs are still to blame.

In June 2021, the Pet Food Institute (PFI), which represents America’s dog and cat food and treat makers, sent public comments to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) which outlined supply chain and manufacturing woes impacting the industry. And these same issues continue to plague manufacturers and consumers even now in 2022, according to PFI.

"As the entire food system faced incredible disruption during the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. pet food makers were also forced to address new ingredient sourcing and transportation challenges," said Dana Brooks, president and CEO of PFI. "America’s dog and cat food makers responded with resiliency and are hard at work making nutritionally balanced food for our pets, but PFI is asking the Biden administration to identify policy solutions that will help further strengthen all of American food and agriculture for the future."

Even after COVID-19 cases started to decrease and businesses resumed operations as normal, ingredients such as chicken by-products and vegetable oils, which are used in many canned food items for pets, were hard to come by, according to PFI.

"These ingredient shortages have not abated as the pandemic began receding. PFI members report all ingredient costs have risen 8-20%, with dramatic price increases for corn and soybean derivatives, which are key ingredients in many dog and cat food formulations," PFI said.

In California, franchises such as PetSmart are out of canned food in several locations, FOX 11 reported.

The manager of Centinela Feed & Pet Supplies in Torrance, California, Jen Muise, said a shortage of workers at canning facilities has been a problem for pet stores since late last year.

"A lot of times it’s a good idea to work with groups that have their own physical canneries, brands like Lotus and Fromm who actually have not just U.S. based canneries but they own their own canneries so that way they control the supply, they control the functioning, you don’t run into as many issues with that," Muise told FOX 11.

"Brands like Stella and Chewy are converting into pouches of food as well as packs so they don’t have to be dependent on the cannery or aluminum situation that we have," said Dan Ryu, COO of Centinela Feed & Pet Supplies.....

oh......noes......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2022 01:05PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 25, 2022 01:10PM
Wow.
Kitties do not like change, so this could make for some unhappy campers.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 25, 2022 01:30PM
Yes, for months every time I have gone through the pet food aisle to get cat food the shelves for canned food have been pretty bare.

Ingredient shortages already showed up at least 3 months ago, my cat's favorite dry food has been unavailable. Fortunately he is willing to switch and I had been weaning him off it to a lower carbohydrate dry food. He really should be on wet food as he developed diabetes almost 2 years ago, but he turns his nose up at it. If he had switched it would be a problem switching back to dry due to the shortages.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 25, 2022 01:31PM
There's always white albacore tuna.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 25, 2022 01:34PM
My sister and I are really having a challenge trying to keep a supply. All the favorite online/local store places seem to go in and out of stock. Fortunately, my sister is somewhat of a hoarder. With 11 cats in the house, we have to have a good supply on hand. Oh, the kitties will eat dry, but only if there's nothing else in the dish.

BTW, crazy cat lady update. I have the confidence of 6 cats, with one on the border as far as coming within petting range. It's amazing what Temptations treats will do for them warming up to me.

Mittens, who I call Noodles (I've renamed all her cats with my own name choices), the fatty was afraid of me until I started with the treats. All of the sudden Noodles was like, "Excuse me, let me introduce myself!". smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 25, 2022 01:50PM
RAMd®d
There's always white albacore tuna.

Our three prior cats loved to lick the cans clean when we used tuna (for ourselves). The two reginae regnans are not amused.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 25, 2022 01:53PM
We seem to be OK here in SE lower MI. My wife buys the cat food for our four furry goldbricks and hasn't noticed a shortage of canned food.

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 25, 2022 03:57PM
Chewys. Never a shortage. Cheaper. Free ship and can be scheduled if you like.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 25, 2022 04:39PM
Fritz
Chewys. Never a shortage. Cheaper. Free ship and can be scheduled if you like.

Even chewy.com has some brands and types of cat food out of stock.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 25, 2022 04:51PM
I've noticed periodically in Seattle.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: March 25, 2022 05:44PM
.....hope they don't run out of Prince Albert in a can.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2022 05:45PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: March 25, 2022 06:22PM
NewtonMP2100
.....hope they don't run out of Prince Albert in a can.....

he's our running with the refrigerator.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 25, 2022 07:28PM
I haven't had a problem in finding canned cat food in NW GA although there isn't quite the variety we're used to.
Date: March 25, 2022 08:03PM
the wet stuff in pouches and plastic "tubs" is still pretty common, albeit horrible for the planet.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: vicrock
Date: March 26, 2022 06:09AM
It's been that way in Western Washington for months. Even Costco has been out of their HUGE boxes of canned.
Date: March 26, 2022 01:40PM
....so harder to find a nice set of cans.....??

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 26, 2022 02:16PM
Quick, find some food for your picky eaters...

...you don't want to piss them off
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 27, 2022 10:02AM
...you don't want to piss them off

The pic reminds me of a YouTube of a less malevolent pachyderm that staked out a road in —African, somewhere?—and demanded food food from occupants of cars before they were allowed to pass.

It would block the road, and when the car stopped it went to a window and started nosing around inside.

Give it some edible item, and the elephant backed out of the road and the car could pass.

There was no mention of anything happening to someone who failed to pay toll or tribute.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020