advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
10th Anniversary at my job
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: March 26, 2022 10:44PM
10 years ago I left behind my last graphic design freelance gig and started a job in a factory as an industrial operator/mechanic. High speed container manufacturing. Fancy way of saying can maker.

I make 1.5 million pieces per shift. In my department, we have 6 million piece capacity per 12 hour shift. The place runs 7 days a week including many holidays.

At times it’s mind numbing boring, frustrating and challenging. It all depends how the machines run.

Swing shifts. Sometimes 7 days a week. My longest continuous stretch was 45 days in a row in 2017.

It is the loudest environment you can imagine (150 decibels). In the summer, the thermometer in my work area regularly hits 105F. That’s with overhead doors open for ventilation.

So why would I pick this as my occupational hell? It pays well. Simple as that.

Working freelance, I was able to pay the bills and be home with my kids but not enough to save money for retirement. Too many people with a computers calling themselves designers would undercut my rate.

Realistically, I have 11 years left to work before retirement. There are many times I find myself looking for other opportunities. Something with better hours. More vacation time offered. Once I have my house paid off and my youngest daughter through college (2-3 years), that is possible even if the pay is less.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 10th Anniversary at my job
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 26, 2022 11:11PM
Best of luck to you, at thatplace or somewhere a bit quieter!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 27, 2022 12:22AM
I congratulate you on making tough decisions and sticking to them!
Posted by: August West
Date: March 27, 2022 12:25AM
I guess that db level must be legal. Congrats on the 10 years!

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 27, 2022 02:07AM
A decade is worth a celebration. Congratulations.
We all have to to take a cow by the tail…

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2022 02:12AM by rich in distress.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 27, 2022 02:39AM
Congrats!

I hauled a few loads of something similar to what you manufacture; tall pallets of empty soda cans that would just fit in a 13’6” dry van. Very light loads and super nice to haul. They were stacked and strapped on a pallet with a sheet of corrugated paper between each layer and a thin pallet capping the top. I also briefly worked for a corrugated box manufacturer. It was not so boring but it could be tedious. My job was to strap finished flat box bundles to pallets. The corrugater was noisy but I was on the far end of the building away from it. I remember some of my coworkers were quite cute!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 27, 2022 06:13AM
I remember when you posted about changing to that job. I didn’t realize it was ten years ago.
I totally get what you are saying about the computer making everyone think they are a good designer.
I hope your next job is quieter and more creative, but pays just as well.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: DP
Date: March 27, 2022 07:14AM
I was just thinking about you the other day! I have been using my Mini 9 (MacArtist set it up for me) as a digital wallet but that now is going by the wayside. Newer camera images won't upload to it even tho all I'm trying to do is store them on it until I can get them to my work computer.

It still works just fine, tho!

My wife's company went out of business mostly because the clients they had decided they could use software templates instead of paying for talented graphic designers. The results, we've seen, are incredibly...adequate.

I'm sure your family appreciates the sacrifice you've made. I see you one day kicking back in Monte Carlo with a cool drink enjoying the sunshine from your yacht on the Mediterranean!

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: gadje
Date: March 27, 2022 08:09AM
Congrats and good luck. Wear good ear protection.

I was listening to NPR a few days ago about a brewery and they complained the cost of cans went up 30% and the worst was that their supplier would no longer take orders for under 5 million cans. Since they brewery had several types of beer, they could not afford to stock 5 million cans of each variety. So they found a new supplier which would take smaller orders, but the price was even higher.

It appears the can market is in very high demand right now. Good luck to you and your family.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 27, 2022 11:48AM
Reminds me of my time at the refinery. I made it just past 11 years. Noisy (nothing over 135 dB AFIAK), hot, dangerous (chemicals and fires). My hearing was damaged even though I wore ear plugs or earmuffs about 95% of the time. Glad that I got out when I did. Work very hard at saving/investing so you can retire early.

edit: ear @#$%& RollingEyesSmiley5

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2022 11:49AM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 27, 2022 12:08PM
I observed my 15th anniversary with my current employer just last month. Where did all that time go?

It is what it is.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 27, 2022 12:25PM
Happy Anniversary!

You state: "Once I have my house paid off"

I was able to pay off my 20 year mortgage in 17 years (it WAS a great feeling). I lived in said house for another ~ 19 years. In the final years, on a house I owned outright, it was costing me ~ $1500/month JUST for taxes & insurance! If I wanted to do something "exotic" like take a shower or turn on a light, that cost more. I certainly NEVER expected that to be the case and I doubt that many homeowners would think about said increases but, in MANY (MOST?) areas of the country, it's a sad fact of life. I'm relating this because, in the 1970 in the NY Metro area, jobs with Fixed Pensions were still common so, I was relatively protected. SO MANY workers simply are not.

I'm glad you've scored a good paying job that appears to be secure & reliable. Once you finally "pull the plug" & retire I truly hope you'll be well situated to enjoy a well earned retired life. Becoming a Walmart Greeter is NOT my idea of retirement.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 27, 2022 02:46PM
That is loud. Continually loud. I did Reynolds Plastic wrap for 10 years and then Hersheys for 10 years and walked away just before masks to take care of Mom who passed almost a year ago.

My 401 k is gone.

I was able to retire early and be there for my family when they needed me and maintain that lifestyle they were accustomed to, thanks to that factory noise.

Hershey's snack size wrapper machines average x,xxx bars per minute.

The 20 years before becoming an Industrial Electrician, I did board level repairs on Satellite receivers, CATV channel scramblers, test equipment and just amazing stuff and did not get paid squat for it compared to my idiot electrician friends who had industrial jobs.

Blessed are the Vocational Schools.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 27, 2022 04:56PM
Hey, congrats, friend.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 27, 2022 05:48PM
Do they let you pick an anniversary gift out of a catalog?

I'll be marking 25 years at my employer in August. I've tried to leave many times, but my wife is too risk adverse (we both work at the same company, which is a risk in itself).
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 28, 2022 11:23AM
Congratulations!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 28, 2022 10:25PM
.....congrats....just keep on truckin'....retirement is just around the corner....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020