advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are there any R mavens here?
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 27, 2022 02:39PM
I'm trying to learn R; STEEP learning curve + old(er) brain is just having problems.

I have a "R for dummies" book coming tomorrow sometime. I'm not saying that it will answer all my questions, but it may be a start. The on-line documentation isn't making a difference.

If you are somewhat proficient in getting R to read a file, PM me please.

Also, I will post my question on other boards more specific to both R and the package I am using.

Thanks in advance,

Diana
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are there any R mavens here?
Posted by: August West
Date: March 27, 2022 03:10PM
I'll be no help, as it's been a really long time since I've written any scripts, but I do remember using RStudio, not just R, wirh my MBP. Can you load any file at all with read function?

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Date: March 27, 2022 03:40PM
This guy from VCU seems to have some tutorials on youtube.

R Read tutorial(s)

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 27, 2022 05:02PM
The original problem was getting the data read into R. I found that the problem was actually multiple: one that Monterey needed to give R permission to read from the desktop (where I put stuff to test, as it's the easiest to find; two that I had to set the path to something a bit simpler but not as clear (to me) to allow Monterey to see "hey, do you need to get there?" and give me the error; and adding another switch to the function to stop it from truncating my data.

Now, on to the next issue: I need to transform the data now the I have it in a dataFrame (I think that's what it's called). Yeah, seems like I'm learning a completely different language on top of everything else! damn you smiley smiley-shocked003

Edit: nothing like going to sleep thinking of it only to wake up thinking of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2022 05:02PM by Diana.
Date: March 27, 2022 05:27PM
Happy you got there. I was asking about reading anything at all because permissions came to mind. I wasn't doing any bio-medical, but once i learned some syntax, I started to like R.

Posted by: gadje
Date: March 27, 2022 07:03PM
What about Julia and Python? Do you use those as well?

I am currently doing some light work in Python and I am interested in R and Julia, but I want to stay focused on Python for a while.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 27, 2022 07:27PM
Are we talking code?

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: clay
Date: March 27, 2022 07:28PM
"R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics."

[www.r-project.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2022 07:28PM by clay.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2022 07:44PM
....only have experience with....E.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: March 27, 2022 08:18PM
Thank you!

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020