advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Will Smith slapped the @#$%& of Chris Rock at the Oscars.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 27, 2022 10:04PM
It wasn't an act either. I saw it live, they muted all the audio.

Will Smith hits Chris Rock in face in wild, censored Oscars 2022 moment
[nypost.com]

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will Smith slapped the @#$%& of Chris Rock at the Oscars.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 27, 2022 10:07PM
Let’s be honest… that actually wasn’t much of a slap.

EDIT: Just watched another video shot from a different angle — it was actually a pretty good shot.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2022 10:09PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 27, 2022 10:36PM
Rock made a stupid joke about Smith’s wife (Jada Pinkett Smith), who suffers from alopecia. Smith slapped Rock in the face and told him to keep his wife’s name out of his f***ing mouth.

Seems about right, all things considered.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 27, 2022 10:36PM
Did it leave Fresh Prints on Chris Rock’s face?

I’ll see myself out.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 27, 2022 10:44PM
Well, I'm a fan of both, but I have to say that the personal @#$%& has got out out hand, thanks in no small part to Ricky Gervais. Having some laughs is ok but this is not a roast.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 27, 2022 10:47PM
This doesn't have the joke, but has the slap and the comments [twitter.com]

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 27, 2022 10:56PM
I knew she has alopecia. And making fun of someone's medical condition? totally classless.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: March 27, 2022 11:12PM
Racer X
I knew she has alopecia. And making fun of someone's medical condition? totally classless.

Damn right.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 27, 2022 11:19PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Racer X
Damn right.

I had no clue, but don't follow celebrities anything.

Still, hitting was the wrong action to take.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 27, 2022 11:22PM
Quite a few of you guys here making a a very wide assumption that Chris Rock knew about Jada's alopecia issue....

How can you possibly do that? Do you think that everyone is tuned into the Smith Family personal issue mill?
Does Will Smith think the same? That would be awfully arrogant on his part..

The first thing that occurred to me is that Chris Rock did NOT know about Jada's alopecia issue..

What is wrong with you people?

Will Smith @#$%& up tonight...that was a total chump move..
That wasn't a man protecting his Family..that was a boy who didn't stop to be a man..
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 27, 2022 11:37PM
Uncensored clip of the ‘joke’ and the slap.

Will Smith did an onstage apology (SPOILER for category winner) to the audience and Academy later in the show.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: March 27, 2022 11:43PM
Alopecia is a disease, not an “issue.”

Posted by: decay
Date: March 27, 2022 11:51PM
I think several wrongs were committed by both parties.

However, Will Smith lost his self-control and acted like a child. No matter how rude Chris Rock was.

They should have settled it afterward.

I am not defending Rock.

On Smith and his parenting style:

He Doesn't Punish Them: Instead, he makes them take responsibility for their own actions.

"We don't do punishment. The way that we deal with our kids is, they are responsible for their lives," Will explained in an interview in 2013. "Our concept is, as young as possible, give them as much control over their lives as possible and the concept of punishment, our experience has been--it has a little too much of a negative quality."

He continued, "So when they do things--and you know, Jaden, he's done things--you can do anything you want as long as you can explain to me why that was the right thing to do for your life."

---
Date: March 27, 2022 11:55PM
It should also be noted that there’s also some major cultural boundaries/issues/do’s and don’ts for Black women regarding hair. It’s not a non-trivial thing, there are long standing issues of self esteem and pushing back against historical cultural belittlement and dehumanization involved.

I won’t go as far as saying Will Smith was right. But, I may just be inclined to see him as having a toe or two over the “good trouble” line. big grin smiley

As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 12:05AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 28, 2022 12:15AM
It was stupid. What if Chris reflexively hit him back? What then?
Date: March 28, 2022 12:17AM
You can do comedy and not insult people.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: March 28, 2022 12:20AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

That is not the point here...and it can also can be an 'issue' in quite a few senses...but it's not the point

The point is that you make an assumption that Chris Rock is a bad person because of this--because you made another assumption..that Rock knew about the alopecia...I doubt very much that Chris knew about the alopecia.

He was doing what all Oscar hosts do...his job..which largely involves poking fun at the Stars..
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 28, 2022 12:20AM
Racer X

I didn't see it so I don't know what he said. It couldn't have been worth all that. I watched the Lakers lose. :-(
Date: March 28, 2022 12:22AM
Racer X

Um...

You're watching the Oscars...hosts have been making fun people there since forever...it would suck if they didn't.

Don't soften up the world too much...some of THE best comedy has roots in making fun of people...imaginary or otherwise.
Date: March 28, 2022 12:23AM
vision63
It was stupid. What if Chris reflexively hit him back? What then?

Rock handled himself beautifully...total pro.
Posted by: Diana
Date: March 28, 2022 01:06AM
I see that much is being said about Chris Rock and Will Smith, but what about Jada? In the few seconds I saw of her in the clip, that comment hit deep. And while everyone else appeared to be laughing, there was genuine pain on her face.

So yes, I can see Will doing a 180 as soon as he found that it hurt her. I won't say that he was justified in his actions as he could have found a better way to handle it, but at the same time the comment shouldn't have been said. There is a difference between funny and cruel. You can expect to be roasted, but sometimes things go a bit too far.

Blankity Blank
It should also be noted that there’s also some major cultural boundaries/issues/do’s and don’ts for Black women regarding hair. It’s not a non-trivial thing, there are long standing issues of self esteem and pushing back against historical cultural belittlement and dehumanization involved.

I won’t go as far as saying Will Smith was right. But, I may just be inclined to see him as having a toe or two over the “good trouble” line. big grin smiley

It's not just Black women, although there ARE cultural differences in how women are perceived. As women age, we commonly lose hair, balding becomes more apparent, and the hair thins. It can be a touchy subject all around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 01:13AM by Diana.
Date: March 28, 2022 01:29AM
Yes, I saw Jada's look, and it really hurt her. That I believe was what Will reacted too. There were a few moments before Will got up where Chris could have seen her reaction, and started to apologize.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 28, 2022 02:49AM
I really hate it when I settle down to watch a fight on TV and suddenly an awards ceremony breaks out.
Date: March 28, 2022 03:13AM
RgrF
I really hate it when I settle down to watch a fight on TV and suddenly an awards ceremony breaks out.

They are trying some new things this year to raise viewership.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Microman
Date: March 28, 2022 05:48AM
Will Smith is to full of himself. How stupid to get up from your chair and do that. Settle it later.

Wonder what the Comedy entertainers like the hosts, thought of Chris Rock's comment. I am sure that they have stepped on peoples toes before, as well.

Yea for Apple being involved in an Oscar winner, now will their stock price go back to over 180?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 28, 2022 05:57AM
I didn't watch the show (frankly have no interest in any awards program), I knew nothing about this incident until seeing the BBC this morning. They showed the joke, the reaction, the follow-up, and the apology.

Chris Rock was in the wrong for his statement - after he said it and Smith reacted, he repeated and tried to defend/explain the joke only for Smith to make it clear that his wife was not a joke. Watching it I don't think Rock really understood what he said was wrong and hurtful. He never apologized to Smith's wife.

As for those saying the hosts always make fun of the nominees - then make fun of Will Smith - NOT his wife, she is just an innocent bystander. My wife has thinning hair, it is the only thing in her life that she is self-conscious about. I would definitely shut somebody down that insulted her - and that is what Rock did, he insulted the woman.

Smith lost it, he was wrong But I also understand his reaction.

If Rock tries for legal recourse, he is likely going to suffer professionally. He needs to apologize to Jada and the two man need to put this behind them.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 28, 2022 06:19AM
.....Will Smith won't be charged....Chris Rock declined to press charges....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 28, 2022 06:23AM
I haven't watched an awards show in years, and only decided to check it out to see how CODA did. I just happened to tune in right before Rock came out to do his thing. I like both Rock and Smith, and I'll admit to being uncomfortable and yet also cringe-laughing at some of Gervais' comments when I see them on YouTube. He does go over the line sometimes, but no one has come on stage to confront him. That said, I don't remember an awards show where celebs in the audience (not just nominees) aren't the butt of jokes.

I'm giving Rock the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't aware of the alopecia condition. I think he knows better than to do a joke about a medical condition. But all the while he was doing the joke, Will Smith is sitting there laughing. Yes, he obviously changed his tune when he saw Jada's reaction (after her eye roll). But there's a time and a place for everything. And the middle of an awards show is not the time to resort to violence. He should know better than that. You want to make a statement and demand an apology? Do it after the ceremony. Do it on Twitter if that's your thing. Damn, have a discussion with Rock and threaten him in private.

I see no good coming out of this for Will Smith. Even during his acceptance speech, I kept waiting for some some semblance of an apology to Rock specifically. He couched an apology in there somewhere and did apologize to the Academy and other attendees, but would it have been so hard to mention Rock by name?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 07:27AM by wurm.
Posted by: d4
Date: March 28, 2022 06:26AM
Will Smith just painted an even bigger target on his back in the standup community. Persona non grata.

What if that was a white comedian like Gervais getting assaulted by Will Smith for the same joke? This would've spun into something much more different.

What if a female comedian made that joke. Assault still ok then?

Will Smith is double Chris Rock's size. Did I just compare Chris Rock's stature to a woman? Do I deserve to be physically attacked for that joke?

I heard on the morning news that he was later spotted at a Vanity Affair after-party dancing with his Oscar award. His apology was insincere and an act of course. Will Smith should be banned from any/all events of this nature in the future. What an embarrassment.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 28, 2022 06:55AM
Hollywood is a complete embarrassment and the hypocrisy is unbelievable. Don't know why anyone watches these award shows.
Date: March 28, 2022 07:10AM
It occurs to me, this was witnessed by a room full of celebrities. Put upon practically 24/7 by paparazzi, tabloids, hack reporters, gossip mongers, randos by the tens of thousands on comment sections and social media, trolls, crazies, try hards looking to make a name for themselves.

I can’t help but think Will Smith played out a daydream for quite a few people in that audience last night.

Date: March 28, 2022 07:15AM
....it was more than just about the comment about his wife.....

....in his autobiography, the first words were that 'he was a coward'.....his father abused his mom and he never stood up to him { he has said that is his greatest 'issue' that permeates his life ].....that is my psychoanalysis for the day....

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 28, 2022 07:27AM
My wife has alopecia. It’s really rough watching your beautiful partner struggle through losing all of their hair. Watching them go through this emotional experience that causes people to assume you have cancer, you’re dying, etc.. you can’t hide it. You can’t pretend that nothing is wrong. She had to draw on eyebrows, she had no eyelashes, even her nose hairs fell out. If some had said that to or about my wife I’d have slapped them too.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: August West
Date: March 28, 2022 08:01AM
I'm fairly surprised at the several people who support physical assault as a reaction to poor taste.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 28, 2022 08:47AM
That assault was witnessed live by 100s of millions around the word, including anyone who’s ever been an abuser and anyone who’s ever been abused. There’s only one right response to assault and that’s a ton of repercussions, legal, financial, social.

Chris Rock's words, however deplorable or in bad taste, have zero to do with the assault. To hear Will Smith's acceptance speech talk about "love makes you do crazy things" was textbook right out of an abuser's playbook. What a f##d up thing.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Date: March 28, 2022 08:53AM
If Jada was hurt and offended, why didn't SHE speak up to Chris Rock?

---
Posted by: mspace
Date: March 28, 2022 09:06AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

THIS.
Date: March 28, 2022 09:10AM
I don’t believe Smith intended to physically injure Rock, that’s why he SLAPPED him rather than PUNCHING him. Remember, Smith portrayed Muhammed Ali in a biopic 20 years ago, and the training he undertook for that film was extremely rigorous. Even two decades later, I have no doubt Smith could have knocked Rock out cold with one punch if he had chosen to do so.

It’s worth noting this isn’t the first time Rock made Oscars comments at Jada Pinkett Smith’s expense. She was a vocal proponent of boycotting the 2016 Oscars due to the shameful lack of non-white nominees. Rock mocked her for her low status in the film industry, implying she didn’t belong at the Oscars ceremony anyway.

So the “Keep my wife’s name out of your f***ing mouth” rant had some additional background and context.

I’m not a fan of Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith or Chris Rock and I think this whole episode was unfortunate and unpleasant. But I can kind of see why Smith chose to do what he did.

Date: March 28, 2022 09:29AM
I still can't see why Smith chose to storm up on stage and assault Rock instead of handling it like an adult.

---
Date: March 28, 2022 09:32AM
....I think as mentioned in my previous post.....his childhood was spent with abusive father who abused his mother.....he calls himself a coward for never 'protecting' her and fighting back......'this wound' resurfaced when Rock 'attacked' Jada.....and Will reacted by 'defending her' in his mind....

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 28, 2022 09:33AM
Racer X

You sure can, you hockey puck!

Posted by: August West
Date: March 28, 2022 09:34AM

I don’t believe Smith intended to physically injure Rock, that’s why he SLAPPED him rather than PUNCHING him.

I generally agree with your posts, but this is entirely lame, and I'm pretty surprised you would write it.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Date: March 28, 2022 09:35AM
A much better slap was administered by Groucho Marx in Duck Soup:

Rufus T. Firefly : I'd be unworthy of the high trust that's been placed in me if I didn't do everything in my power to keep our beloved Freedonia in peace with the world. I'd be only too happy to meet with Ambassador Trentino, and offer him on behalf of my country the right hand of good fellowship. And I feel sure he will accept this gesture in the spirit of which it is offered. But suppose he doesn't. A fine thing that'll be. I hold out my hand and he refuses to accept. That'll add a lot to my prestige, won't it? Me, the head of a country, snubbed by a foreign ambassador. Who does he think he is, that he can come here, and make a sap of me in front of all my people? Think of it - I hold out my hand and that hyena refuses to accept. Why, the cheap four-flushing swine, he'll never get away with it I tell you, he'll never get away with it.

[Trentino enters]

Rufus T. Firefly : So, you refuse to shake hands with me, eh?

[slaps Trentino with his glove]

Ambassador Trentino : Mrs. Teasdale, this is the last straw. There's no turning back now! This means war!

Rufus T. Firefly : Then it's war! Then it's war! Gather the forces. Harness the horses. Then it's war!

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 28, 2022 09:47AM

meanwhile, at the same time, on 'Call The Midwife' over on PBS, one of the sisters was playing an oboe!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 10:05AM by Steve G..
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 28, 2022 09:58AM
I wasn't watching the ceremony, no interest in it whatsoever, so I am just waking up to hear all about this.

I would tend to agree with decay on this. It IS assault, and although I can understand why he did it, there's no excuse for it.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 28, 2022 10:07AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Rock made a stupid joke about Smith’s wife (Jada Pinkett Smith), who suffers from alopecia. Smith slapped Rock in the face and told him to keep his wife’s name out of his f***ing mouth.

Seems about right, all things considered.

Chris should not have made that unfunny out of taste joke. But the slap should have not taken place but an aside after the show by Smith.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 28, 2022 10:11AM
IMO this is a desperate attempt at ratings. Soon we'll all find out that it was planned!

As for the disease / condition argument - a significant majority of people with alopecia suffer no other ill affects past loss of hair. I'm not going to argue over which bucket it goes in but that clarifies its significance.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 28, 2022 10:35AM
Both their behaviors are examples of male toxicity.

Rock should not belittle anyone's physical appearance no matter what the cause of it is.

Smith should not physically assault someone because he was offended by their comments. As every mom chides "Use your words."

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2022 10:35AM by graylocks.
Posted by: dk62
Date: March 28, 2022 10:52AM
I think part of the reason for his inappropriate overreaction was that he was still smiling/laughing when the joke was delivered and then he felt guilty when he saw his wife's reaction. But that was definitely the wrong place and time to react like he did.
Date: March 28, 2022 10:58AM
dk62
I think part of the reason for his inappropriate overreaction was that he was still smiling/laughing when the joke was delivered and then he felt guilty when he saw his wife's reaction. But that was definitely the wrong place and time to react like he did.

Good points, I don’t disagree.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020