You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Well This Is A Fine Mess MacBook Pro Laptop And Battery SNAFU
Posted by: jh
Date: March 28, 2022 02:24PM
Macbook Pro 15" Model 3,1 (2007) 2.2 GHZ Core 2 Duo
6 Gig Ram
500 Gig SSD
El Capitan 10.11.6
Newertech Battery less than one year old (first Newertech Battery replaced perviously this year due to possible battery not holding charge)

Rarely used but fired up once a month to see if all is working well. Long story on this one but moving on.

Problem:
1. Booted up yesterday and immediately powered off several times even with power supply plugged in. Power plug shows green which normally indicates battery is charged.
2. Removed battery and powered up fine. Moved around etc. Put battery back in and dies again.
3. Charged battery for a while even though power supply said charged (green light). Finally booted with battery in place and not shutting down. OS says battery is fully charged 100%. Ran Coconut Battery which says battery is good at 100% but says battery was manufacture in 2007? Battery power level light on battery does not light up when button is pressed.
4. Left overnight with the power supply unplugged and same problem as listed in # 1.

What I have tried:
*Battery when delivered was conditioned as the instructions listed.
1. Reset PRAM and SMC.
2. Using my daughters account (it is her old laptop) and previously a few months ago removed any none essential app or setting that might be using power when turned off or on that I could see.
3. Logged in on another account and it still powers off after few minutes.
4. Will leave the power in for a few hours and see if any improvement

So what could be the problem?

1. Another bad battery? This would be the third battery if I got a another one. Makes me doubtful this is the issue.

2. Laptop problem? Won't charge, motherboard problems, bad battery connections on laptop, bad power supply? Laptop has a spell put on it?

3. Other ideas? Left out something I should try?

Mrs. JH would like to keep it and have it working to use it for future plans she has but understands that this laptop may be on it's way out.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Well This Is A Fine Mess MacBook Pro Laptop And Battery SNAFU
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 28, 2022 02:47PM
I had a charger go bad in a nearly identical situation.... try hooking up the charger for awhile to another laptop to verify how it's working.
==
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 28, 2022 02:58PM
Mrs. JH deserves better than a 15 year old laptop. Dump it on the For Sale and Free Items forum.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jh
Date: March 28, 2022 04:14PM
Speedy
Mrs. JH deserves better than a 15 year old laptop. Dump it on the For Sale and Free Items forum.

She already has a MacBook Pro laptop that is much newer. This was an old one my daughter used and replaced with a new one that she left with us. She wants this one to use in her art room instead of bringing her other one which is basically being used as a desktop.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 28, 2022 08:11PM
Get her a M1 mac mini to replace her "desktop" MBP, then she can use the MBP to replace this flaky one.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 29, 2022 01:50AM
It's the battery, Jim.

What does Coconut Battery say about its health, i.e. capacity?

A charge of 100% means nothing if the capacity is 2, 10, or 40%, etc.

Coconut Battery used to show capacity as New vs Current, or something similar.

New could be 4000mAhrs, and current could be 2000mAhrs (totally arbitrary numbers.

The point being a battery's low capacity might charge to 100% but be instantly or quickly depleted when trying to boot up.

Coconut Battery used to show cycles used, the more cycles, the more wear on the battery and its maximum capacity.

But that's misleading, as a battery can have had several years of use with few cycles accrued, based on charging regimen.

Any internal damage could impair wall-powered operation, as you've experienced.

If you haven't already, you might check the battery closely for any signs of damage or any swelling.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020