advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any frequent Yelp reviewers?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 31, 2022 09:46PM
My wife and I have started going out for lunch once a week to have some time to ourselves and explore a bit. We were initially pretty skeptical of the local restaurants after living in NYC for quite a while. Turns out we just didn't know where to look. In NYC word of mouth will go pretty far in letting you know what to pay attention to. Also, there's so much competition in nyc restaurants that the bad ones can't really stay in business. I just started picking places and I was surprisingly impressed with what I found close to home. To be honest, I was overlooking strip malls because they're strip malls.

Anyway, when I have a particularly good meal, I like to spread the word to help out the restaurant. I've been posting and reading reviews on yelp more. I'm entertained to see places that get mediocre reviews where I've had an unquestionably excellent experience. Everyone has bad days. But past that I've noticed a community of people who are super dedicated to their yelp reviews. The reviews start to fit a certain format - overly verbose, often 4+ unremarkable photos of the restaurant. I guess this is what you get when you encourage people to make content.

I'm just realizing that they're in competition with google and others for reviews. I often see reviews in google results but there's something about it that feels like an afterthought.

Any prolific yelp reviewers here?

-----

Found some excellent Azerbaijani food two miles away from us. It was quite a treat - very well done and something very new to us.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any frequent Yelp reviewers?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 31, 2022 10:30PM
There was a restaurant a little ways from where I worked in Richmond in 2012 that prided itself on Yelp 1 star reviews. They were funny/sarcastic about what a jerk the owner was, but nearly always mentioned good food. Generally 200 to 300 words long. He refused to buy into their strongarm tactics (at the time, not sure if it's improved) and asked regulars to 1 star.

It takes a while to build credibility as Yelp reviewer. I never got into it much since I don't eat out that often.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: April 01, 2022 04:53AM
I do them fairly often, although I don’t go out that much these days. I like to help out the good places and warn about the bad ones. They’ve asked me to become elite several times, but I refuse to put my whole name on my account so everyone can see it.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 01, 2022 05:53AM
I found that Yelp has evolved over the years to be inconsistent.
With the appearance of goog reviews, now I have 2 to compare.

Went to a new place on 9th yesterday. Kausa.
Both had lots of really good reviews. That and a peak inside got my buddy an I to venture in. Kausa was excellent.

Certain styles of food, the reviews are more dependable. But I think that's because those styles are more dependable.

Pizza (in NYC), Thai, Latin are dependable reviews. Hi-end places are way more inconsistent.

I do when a place really stands out.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: August West
Date: April 01, 2022 08:13AM
I've avoided due to the strong-arming also.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: mspace
Date: April 01, 2022 09:38AM
I'll review when something is really good and should have a boost. I tend not to write in a verbose style and yelp will push for more than I want to say in a review.

Otherwise, I add it to my bookmarks list in yelp.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 01, 2022 10:49AM
Do people still review Domino's Pizza, McDonald's and Denny's on Yelp?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 01, 2022 03:56PM
About a dozen reviews in the Yelp era.... all either extremely awesomely fantastic, or stay far, far away because they're rotten to the core.
==
Posted by: Cary
Date: April 02, 2022 09:07AM
This is not an answer to the question, but my reaction to it.

As a consumer, I use Yelp reviews, but parse them. People complain about things that may have nothing to do with the business.

As a business owner, I am frustrated by Yelp. We recently got a 1 star review by someone who never was in our shop. When I reached out to yelp, they refused to remove it because "the customer has the right to express their opinion". Another poor review was for a another shop in the same franchise (different ownership. Yelp said "too bad".

Most frustrating is the "hidden" "not recommended" review section. We have a slew of 5 star reviews in thatvsection. When I asked Yelp why they were not recommended, the only answer I got was that's the way the algorithm works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020