advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to remove fresh oil from concrete carport
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 31, 2022 11:08PM
It’s about 3 days old. I can’t get to Home Depot for awhile for whatever they have. I don’t trust random methods on YouTube.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to remove fresh oil from concrete carport
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 31, 2022 11:22PM
oven cleaner, the good stuff. It's essentially lye, which turns oils/fats into soap.

But you put it on asphalt, it will eat it.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 31, 2022 11:32PM
I've had some success with dawn dish soap and a good scrub, assuming you've blotted up all the standing liquid. Might be worth a try before you reach for something stronger. Dawn won't have any chance of harming the surface.
Posted by: samintx
Date: April 01, 2022 08:11AM
Dish washer stuff works.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 01, 2022 08:27AM
I'd soak up the top layer with sawdust or cat litter, then liberal application of dish soap, let sit and then scrub with stiff brush. Repeat.

Oven cleaner sounds easier.
Posted by: Microman
Date: April 01, 2022 08:33AM
Go buy the cheapest Kitty Litre you can find.... Open package a sprinkle on top of stain.

Put on you oldest pair of Tennis Shoes, use the bottom of shoes to scratch the kitty litter into the surface. Get all of the spots of oil, and sweep up powdery mess, and you are done.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 01, 2022 09:26AM
It can matter a little what the finish is. For a very smooth surface, alternate between a solvent like paint thinner (or solvent based concrete cleaner) and dish soap and/or baking soda in expanding areas.

For slightly rough to brushed surfaces, clay based kitty litter/oil absorbent and dish soap and massage rotating on the ball of the foot or hard force on an orbital sander/polisher.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 01, 2022 10:37AM
I'll second Microman...
Diatomaceous earth (kitty litter) to soak up every last bit.
Also used in machine shops to clean oil and oil-based coolant spills... called "Floor-Dry" in the college shop.

If anything remains soaked into the concrete, I'd use a dishwasher detergent powder sprinkled on, and then slightly dampened... let soak a few hours, then use kitty litter to soak up and sweep up.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 01, 2022 11:34AM
Dawn dish soap does the trick. Leave it soak for a week or two.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: April 01, 2022 12:24PM
Microman
Go buy the cheapest Kitty Litter you can find.... Open package a sprinkle on top of stain.

Put on you oldest pair of Tennis Shoes, use the bottom of shoes to scratch the kitty litter into the surface. Get all of the spots of oil, and sweep up powdery mess, and you are done.

I'll cast another vote for the Microman method. We'd use that at the gas station where I worked for fresh spills, occasionally following up afterwards with a product called "Crete Sweep" that I suspect was nothing more than portland cement powder in a shaker can.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020