advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Will Smith/Chris Rock thing wasn't the most shocking part of the Oscars (for me).
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 02, 2022 09:34PM
More shocking than that was the fact that The Power Of The Dog was up for so many awards. I just finished watching it. Holy crap, what a snooze-fest. I wish I could have those two hours of my life back.

That is all.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Will Smith/Chris Rock thing wasn't the most shocking part of the Oscars (for me).
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 02, 2022 09:40PM
I was planning on watching it, maybe not now.

Grateful11
Re: The Will Smith/Chris Rock thing wasn't the most shocking part of the Oscars (for me).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 02, 2022 10:13PM
....so it's a.....dog....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 02, 2022 10:20PM
Grateful11

Well, after I posted I did a search here on the forum and it appears I may be in the minority. Several members had high praise for it, so I guess it might be just me.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 02, 2022 10:39PM
wurm
Grateful11

Well, after I posted I did a search here on the forum and it appears I may be in the minority. Several members had high praise for it, so I guess it might be just me.

No, it’s not. It blew major chunks.

Posted by: August West
Date: April 02, 2022 10:52PM
I haven't seen it, bot I do have substantial respect for Jane Campion. SO gave it a good review.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 02, 2022 11:11PM
I watched the first hour and turned it off -
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 02, 2022 11:46PM
I thought it was a worthy effort..tough story to tell properly, I liked the choices Campion made and i loved that it left you hanging out there with regard to what was coming with dear Phil..cause you knew something was coming...bit of a surprise-- excellent cinematography over pretty dark stuff, a measured study of stoicism, fear, homophobia..a modern western but everything is about as old school Western as it comes..lots of space and air in a very dense story and presentation, I like movies like that. It feels good to shake off that conditioning we have for the constant rattle of external stimulation,...got through it with no scars or snoozes or chunk blowing...lordy.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 03, 2022 02:05AM
Read it first then watched, the book was a more satisfying experience.
Posted by: d4
Date: April 03, 2022 07:13AM
How dare you. You are supposed to like it.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 03, 2022 09:21AM
though I thought the players were good, I could have been vacuuming.
and of course, Montana never looked so good as in New Zealand.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 03, 2022 09:29AM
Reference for cinephiles; Power of the Dog is Ingmar Bergman Out West.

"Bergman's films are known as 'profoundly personal meditations into the myriad struggles facing the psyche and the soul.'"
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 03, 2022 09:47AM
Very, very possibly one of my top ten films.

Being conservative, I’d guess something incredible happened somewhere around at least every five minutes in this movie.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: timg
Date: April 04, 2022 12:53PM
We watched it several months back. It's one of those movies that puzzles you a bit while you are watching.

After you think about it awhile you get a better understanding of the intricacies of the stories and realize it is a good movie.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: gabester
Date: April 04, 2022 01:18PM
It sounds like it may be a cinemaphile's movie, but not for those who like modern hollywood tripey tropisms.... I haven't watched it on good advice because my personal reviewer stated "It's so slow and nothing happens."

I expect I'd fall asleep, but I'm not one to be taken in by scenery usually in movies. Action, drama, people saying and doing things, frequently.

g=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020