advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Should I go back to single vision lenses?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 03, 2022 10:15PM
Hi all, I just recently saw a new ophthalmologist, since this whole corona mess began, and of course got a new prescription.

My old script (given to me by the old ophthalmologist, who unfortunately had passed away) included either the option as single-vision or progressives. I went with the progressives, which while they are convenient in certain ways, are a pain in the neck in others: it took me forever to adapt to them, and they're a real annoyance when trying to do common things like watching TV in bed. They were also super-expensive, particularly because I got them in real glass rather than polycarbonate, and with transitions and an anti-fog coating.

So... long story short... I'm wondering how much trouble I'd have going back to single-vision. The major issue would be, I'd guess, focusing on close objects, but I was doing reasonably well with that prior to the progressives.

Edit: oh, and there's also this, but perhaps just a marketing gimmick from those cheeky pharm companies??: [www.health.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Should I go back to single vision lenses?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 03, 2022 10:19PM
I need bifocals but got some short (height wise) glasses and look under them for my phone and to read. It’s much simpler and cheaper. I’ll probably use this kind of glasses until I get cataract surgery in the next few years. I had no-line bifocals in the past and like the current system better.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 03, 2022 10:28PM
I started using progressives 30 years ago, but recently got several single vision prescriptions for different distances. It took some getting used to, but now it's easy switching between the two types. Also, I need less correction than I did say, 10 years ago, so that helps with the progressives.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 03, 2022 10:56PM
I tried progressives, and switched back after a couple of weeks. Never looked back. It depends on your prescriptions.
Posted by: jonny
Date: April 03, 2022 11:18PM
bifocals
Zenni
$25
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 03, 2022 11:44PM
I could not stand progressives. I gave up after six weeks and literally threw them out. I went with two pairs of glasses, one for when I'm out and about and one for at home reading. Then my eyes changed so much all I need are the reading glasses.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 04, 2022 01:15AM
jonny
bifocals
Zenni
$25

assuming you have a simple and weak correction. I can not find a single on-line vendor who will make my prescription.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 04, 2022 03:06AM
I was almost 6' at 13 and thus deployed to the last row in all my classes. It was a somewhat egalitarian gesture on the part of the Dominican nuns who ruled the school without regard to any real world effect. I was nearsighted and didn't know it. I was 15 before an Optometrist (no fancy schmancy Opthomologists for us project kids) got the first shot at me and told me I needed glasses I couldn't afford. Glasses that could have been modeled by Steve Allen

and that no self-respecting acne-free teenage male would ever be caught wearing. Alas for me it was either no Steverinos or no drivers license, not hard to guess what won.

Back on subject - corrective lenses were required by DMV from that point in my life until my last exam it would seem nature has done what mother nature undid (in the NBA they'd call it a makeup foul) and today I no longer need eyesight correction. It only took the mutha 60 years to put things back where they started and I suspect it will turn out a temporary adjustment leading - who knows where. My ophthalmologists at Roski sure don't but are offering all sorts of dismal opinions.

Not advising waiting it out, get LASIX done (if it's applicable in your situation) as soon as possible.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 04, 2022 03:10AM
I can't wait until I can convince my insurance to cover corneal lens replacement to treat my cataracts. I'd love to just need readers, and get to use modestly priced and stylish sunglasses again.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 04, 2022 04:40AM
Ha, and I thought I was the only one who did that. Used to get complex progressive eyewear (all online) and then a couple years ago tried on a pair of readers and realized I liked them better. So I generally just use readers now.

One note, if your eyes have different numbers, you can get "readers" online that have, say, a 2.5 in the left and a 3.00 in the right. I've done that for my computing pair. The great thing about this questions is that you can try out different options pretty cheaply these days.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 04, 2022 04:54AM
I had this question too, the last time I went to the doc. He said I could go either way. That they're mostly for convenience. So I'm kind of on the fence too. I DO use them. But watching TV in the recliner is annoying. And usually, if I'm reading, I just take them off.

For those that order online, how do you get the PD? They don't put that on the prescription.

Date: April 04, 2022 05:08AM
bazookaman
I had this question too, the last time I went to the doc. He said I could go either way. That they're mostly for convenience. So I'm kind of on the fence too. I DO use them. But watching TV in the recliner is annoying. And usually, if I'm reading, I just take them off.

For those that order online, how do you get the PD? They don't put that on the prescription.

My (old) ophthalmologist did. You can always go to the optician to get this measurement though. The one measurement I didn't have, which I needed for the progressives, was the segment height... went to a different optician to get that measured.

Racer, the online vendor I've been using is this one: [rx-safety.com]

Posted by: Michael
Date: April 04, 2022 07:20AM
bazookaman

We buy Zenni glasses and used their instructions using a mm ruler. We each did it to ourselves and then did it to each other to be sure we had the numbers right. Zenni also sends a fake paper eyeglass thing with a mm ruler on it that allows you to measure PD when you buy glasses. It's not really better than just using a mm ruler but it feels better to use it.

[www.zennioptical.com]
Posted by: Janit
Date: April 04, 2022 09:10AM
I wore progressives comfortably for many years, but my severe myopia always made correct fabrication a challenge. A couple of years ago my vision started changing rapidly, probably due to refractive changes related to cataract formation, and I no longer wanted to deal with the agita and expense of progressives that might need to be replaced yearly.

Instead I got single vision distance glasses and started using clip-on craft magnifiers for reading and computer work.

[www.michaels.com]

The most common type is 1.5x magnification (equal to +2.25 diopters), but it is also possible to find other strengths with a little searching.

Initially the magnifiers had a short half-life because they would occasionally fall off and get stepped on or sat on, so I bought a bucket-load when Michaels had a 50% off coupon.

They do make me look like a nerd, but WYSIWYG.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 04, 2022 09:44AM
so far I've got by with skinny frames that allow me to look below the lens. My vision close up is fine, so I'm ok with this quirk.

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: datbeme
Date: April 04, 2022 09:48AM
Depends on your prescription, I guess. I have no issues but can understand the watching TV/recliner thing. Why not just get an inexpensive single vision pair from Zenni for that purpose? Just ask your doctor for the distance prescription.
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 04, 2022 03:19PM
Maybe it’s because I am farsighted, but I have no trouble watching TV from my chair with my progressives.
I can’t read at all without my glasses, so having to constantly switch between two pair would drive me nuts.
Maybe just regular bifocals would be better for PeterB.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 04, 2022 05:27PM
I just redid my glasses. I have always used a mono lens for my computer work and progressives for regular use. The progressives were uncomfortable at times and I could never wear them for driving. With my new glasses I got both new progressives and a mono lens for driving which finally helps me behind the wheel.

So bottom line, you might want to have the two different pairs.

JoeM
Date: April 04, 2022 08:10PM
rgG
Maybe it’s because I am farsighted, but I have no trouble watching TV from my chair with my progressives.
I can’t read at all without my glasses, so having to constantly switch between two pair would drive me nuts.
Maybe just regular bifocals would be better for PeterB.

I don't think regular bifocals would be any better ... the problem is that if I'm lying down in bed watching TV, I'm looking through the bottoms of the glasses.

I'm also not thrilled with the idea of two separate pairs... I routinely keep my pair on with cords, because I usually take them off for working with a microscope. (Trying to wear them when looking through a scope is extremely uncomfortable... have to "push" your face into the scope, and run the risk of scratching the glass with the scope eyepieces.)

Still debating if it's worth it just to go with the single vision, and then if the accommodation is just too hard on nearby objects, maybe getting the progressives...

Also, probably too early to ask this question, but I wonder what you all think about Vuity: [www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: rz
Date: April 04, 2022 08:18PM
Eye doctors have been trying to get me into bifocals for several years now. I always say no. If I need to read something, I just prop my glasses up, or hold it a little further away.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 05, 2022 07:51AM
I've worn progressives for years, adapted near instantly, and as they say — never looked back.

I'm due for a lens change and will go with them again.

I did get a pair of single vision 'computer' glasses, but most of the time I just used my progressives because they worked well, switch to bespoke glass only when I know there'd be long hours at the box.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020