Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
LSO View Of Bad Weather Landing On A Carrier
Posted by: jh
Date: April 04, 2022 05:36PM
From one of the comments:

Here’s what’s happened….the flight deck was initially blocked by plane taxiing or slow getting away from landing zone.
The next Hornet called in on the radio but was still in the clouds so the LSOs ( Landing Signal Officer) reminded pilot to turn on bright landing light. The LSO spotted the light and gave pilot some corrections in the last seconds “ power, Power!” The pilot touched down early or short but still caught the arresting wire. Pilots always go to Full Power upon touchdown hence All of the spray. The deck was Fouled or blocked by that plane that landed, hence the repetition of calls by the LSO looking backwards and arms held high acknowledging this. The arresting wire got stuck being retracted back into position, that’s why the Motor Cart and others went to pull out the kink so to speak. The LSO graded the landing by telling the guy hunched over as he wrote down the plane ID # 500 and the summary of the landing- “ High Start, Drifted left, over corrected n descended too low”. Thats why LSO stated “Power”

YouTube Video
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LSO View Of Bad Weather Landing On A Carrier
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 04, 2022 05:51PM
Carrier landings are scary in good weather and insane at night. I cannot imagine landing in near-zero visibility, rain, and nasty wind.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 04, 2022 06:40PM
That was pretty glorious.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 04, 2022 06:42PM
Ombligo
I cannot imagine landing in near-zero visibility, rain, and nasty wind.

There is not a single navy pilot this does not make their stomach churn. They dread it more than anything else they have to do (including combat or flying in a high SAM threat environment). It is the most perishable skill. That’s why no matter how much you practice, it’s never enough (think I’ve heard one or two days are enough to atrophy it).
Posted by: August West
Date: April 04, 2022 06:52PM
What are the handheld devices the two guys are holding?

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 04, 2022 07:21PM
At best they are a controlled crash.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: flareslow
Date: April 04, 2022 07:36PM
The handheld devices are switches that control the wave-off lights that are on the fresnel lens light - the "meatball". A push of the button and the pilot must execute a "wave off". The term "wave -off" comes from the time before the invention of the "mirror" or later the fresnel lens when the LSO would signal the pilot to give glide slope and lineup information using a pair of paddles while standing next to the landing area. Hence the nickname "Paddles" for the LSO.
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 04, 2022 07:40PM
i was scared as hell just watching that.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: gadje
Date: April 05, 2022 12:06AM
This is also scary, especially part 2

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]
Date: April 05, 2022 12:19AM

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 05, 2022 06:45AM
Oops.

Didn't see flareslow's post.

At best they are a controlled crash.

The best ones are an arrested landing, the pilot did his job, didn't punish the aircraft, weather cooperated, everybody else did there jobs, and all the gear worked as it should.

Some pilots dive for the deck when they didn't correctly setup their approach, or had a problem with rough seas.

This will earn them a bad grade.

Depending on a given pilot and/or sea state, yes, a trap can indeed be a controlled crash.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2022 07:14AM by RAMd®d.
Date: April 05, 2022 07:28AM
As I’ve read before, the feeling of landing on a carrier in the best of circumstances is like getting into a car accident and having an orgasm at the same time.
Date: April 05, 2022 05:48PM
Ward Carroll's YouTube channel has a lot of videos about Navy aviation. He is a retired Navy aviator (F-14 Tomcat RIO--I believe).

Here's one about LSO's. One on classic carrier crashes. More classic carrier crashes.

Lots of informative videos for those interested.
Date: April 05, 2022 06:24PM
^^^Very god channel folks.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 05, 2022 06:52PM
This is why Navy pilots consider themselves to be superior pilots to Air Force pilots. They might be right.
patriot smiley
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 05, 2022 08:50PM
I didn't find out until after my father passed away last summer that he requested transfer off carrier flight duty after a particularly hairy night landing in an F-8 in a thunderstorm... His next cruise to the Eastern Pacific was as the head of the Aircraft Maintenance Department rather than in the cockpit of an F-8.

According to my mom, I was about two years old, and after that landing he started thinking that his chances of missing the next one and leaving my mom and I was higher than he liked... After seeing videos of landing that went "less than stellar", I can't say it was a bad choice.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Diana
Date: April 05, 2022 10:48PM
My dad served aboard a carrier when I was a baby; not as a pilot mind you, but as (I think) a sheetmetal mechanic. He brought home souvenirs and foreign money from the Mediterranean cruises, and had a few cruise books from that time. He never talked about it that I can remember. After he passed, the “expiration” date passed and more information was released by the Navy of its ships during that timeframe. His carrier was a part of the blockade of Cuba during the crisis, which probably why he never talked about it. I strongly suspect he was on board at the time.

He instilled a certain respect in us kids for the Navy pilots, even after he got out and started working civil service at the Air Force base(s). He always said that you could tell the difference in Navy and Air Force flyboys: the Navy always set down at the start of the runway, and the Air Force set them down a bit further down.

The Navy will take off, fly, and land in conditions most would consider suicidal.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 06, 2022 02:43AM
Yes, Carroll is a retired RIO, and spent about 16yrs in Tomcats, if I recall correctly.

He does get full of himself from time to time, but overall, he's got an entertaining channel.

I recently saw a piece by him on another site that took Top Gun to task for being a movie for mass audiences and not a tutorial for Tomcat drivers.

Pretty annoying actually, in sort of That Guy in the theater who loudly tells his girlfriend what is and isn't accurate, so that we all know 'he must really know what he's talking about' during the movie.

It's not like one could get Tony Scott to walk up to him and say 'Dude, it's a movie and you know nothing about making a movie...' but that would be awesome.

Otherwise I do like his videos, just not enough to buy the 'merch'.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 06, 2022 07:49PM
gadje
This is also scary, especially part 2

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Great videos!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020