advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Brewers' Severino suspended 80 games for female fertility drug
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 05, 2022 01:00PM
Why would a female fertility drug be tested for in MLB and suspend for 80 games? It is a masking agent for prohibited performance enhancing drugs. This players excuse is so silly. Claims a doctor prescribed it to him and he just took it. He could have easily shown the prescription to team doctors. Responsible teams doctors would have told him to stop taking that prohibited crap.

[abcnews.go.com]

NEW YORK -- Milwaukee catcher Pedro Severino was suspended for 80 games on Tuesday following a positive drug test, the fourth major leaguer penalized in two days.

Severino tested positive for the performance-enhancing substance Clomiphene, the commissioner's office said. The drug is used to induce ovulation.

Severino will lose about half his $1.9 million salary. He apologized to the Brewers, teammates and fans.

“Since late 2020, my wife and I had been trying to start a family unsuccessfully,” Severino said in a statement issued by the players' association. “When we returned to the Dominican Republic after the 2021 season, we sought medical assistance to determine why we had not succeeded. One of the doctors I consulted with prescribed me with a medication to treat infertility issues. Unfortunately, I now know that the medication contained Clomiphene. I accept responsibility for this mistake and have decided not to challenge my suspension.”

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Brewers' Severino suspended 80 games for female fertility drug
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 05, 2022 01:47PM
too much batting practice without a helmet?
Posted by: hal
Date: April 05, 2022 01:47PM
OF all the BS excuses I've heard, this one is actually believable...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 05, 2022 02:31PM
hal

Sure, easy enough mistake to make; I used to accidentally take my wife’s birth control pills.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: April 05, 2022 02:36PM
Maybe his grandmother was taking it and he just got a contact high?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 05, 2022 02:36PM
He could have easily shown the prescription to team doctors.

Even easier, text the brand name of the medication to his agent!
That's part of an (athlete's) agent's responsibilities; what he's paid to do.
In five minutes Severino should have gotten a response "do not take that sh:t!"
{no tomes esa mierda!}

Clomifene Brand names

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 05, 2022 03:12PM
Speedy
hal

Sure, easy enough mistake to make; I used to accidentally take my wife’s birth control pills.

Were they effective?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 05, 2022 03:33PM
Ammo
Speedy
hal

Were they effective?

Depends on what they were trying to achieve I guess?
Date: April 05, 2022 03:51PM
He should be ashamed of himself for flinging this poop against the wall of an excuse and using his wife’s fertility privacy as cover for his doping. He is attempting to paint himself as a victim and sympathetic figure. It’s disgusting. The medicine is designed to help a woman’s reproductive system. Unless this guy has ovaries, there is no reason to take it. As stated before, the player had full access to the options of teams doctors/medical staff and did not utilize it.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2022 03:54PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 05, 2022 03:56PM
Speedy
hal

Aha! It all makes sense now..
Date: April 05, 2022 04:02PM
pRICE cUBE
He should be ashamed of himself for flinging this poop against the wall of an excuse and using his wife’s fertility privacy as cover for his doping. He is attempting to paint himself as a victim and sympathetic figure. It’s disgusting. The medicine is designed to help a woman’s reproductive system. Unless this guy has ovaries, there is no reason to take it. As stated before, the player had full access to the options of teams doctors/medical staff and did not utilize it.

That's cuz you buy that it's a performance enhancer. He can't more accurately hit the inside corner? It's can't possibly help him.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 05, 2022 04:03PM
Now I'll bet he throws like a girl
Date: April 05, 2022 04:04PM
vision63
pRICE cUBE

That's cuz you buy that it's a performance enhancer. He can't more accurately hit the inside corner? It's can't possibly help him.

Accuracy will always be a factor but muscles help. It’s the difference between warning track power and home runs. Performance enhancers also shorten recovery time. It is cheating and that is why it has a test and an 80 game penalty. This guy is going to lose over a million dollars. Don’t you think you would be more careful about what pills you were popping if a million or more dollars was on the line? I sure would be asking every team doctor about it. “Hey Team Doctor, should I be taking this medicine proscribed to me from another country?”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2022 04:07PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: April 05, 2022 04:11PM
pRICE cUBE
vision63
pRICE cUBE

Accuracy will always be a factor but muscles help. It’s the difference between warning track power and home runs. Performance enhancers also shorten recovery time. It is cheating and that is why it has a test and an 80 game penalty. This guy is going to lose over a million dollars. Don’t you think you would be more careful about what pills you were popping if a million or more dollars was on the line? I sure would be asking every team doctor about it. “Hey Team Doctor, should I be taking this medicine proscribed to me from another country?”

Greg Maddux struck dudes out routinely with 70 something mph pitches. Unless you're a closer, I don't see how that can help. I think his excuse is potentially lame. But I don't want to normalize that MLB knows what the hell they're talking about. They're just worried about congress.
Date: April 05, 2022 04:16PM
vision63
pRICE cUBE
vision63
pRICE cUBE

Greg Maddux struck dudes out routinely with 70 something mph pitches. Unless you're a closer, I don't see how that can help. I think his excuse is potentially lame. But I don't want to normalize that MLB knows what the hell they're talking about. They're just worried about congress.

The fact that he is not appealing this suspension is very telling that he got nailed by the test. All the excuses he is putting out there to use his wife as a human shield to make his case look more sympathetic. You can’t swing a bat without muscles. Combine innate ability, practice, and muscle mass, you get a more powerful hitter. If it didn’t help, he wouldn’t have risked losing over a million dollars and future earning based on big contracts for big slugging numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2022 04:17PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: April 05, 2022 04:55PM
Well, clomid may be used to treat ovulation difficulties in women, in a man it raises testosterone levels. It is not that unusual a drug to use for men with certain types of infertility to see if sperm production can be increased. It would be performance enhancing in that it raised androgen levels. What I don't understand is why the sports leagues worry about weed use, which is clearly not performance enhancing. Prudes.
Date: April 05, 2022 04:59PM
pRICE cUBE
vision63
pRICE cUBE
vision63
pRICE cUBE

The fact that he is not appealing this suspension is very telling that he got nailed by the test. All the excuses he is putting out there to use his wife as a human shield to make his case look more sympathetic. You can’t swing a bat without muscles. Combine innate ability, practice, and muscle mass, you get a more powerful hitter. If it didn’t help, he wouldn’t have risked losing over a million dollars and future earning based on big contracts for big slugging numbers.

He could just be stupid. People wolf down supplements etc., everyday hoping it helps. I can speculate that most people do. I don't believe how they claim performance enhancers work. Detractors never demonstrate it. They just talk. I think that's how people think they work. Supposedly "steroids" and "HGH" make it so that you can work out more frequently which can build muscle. But in baseball, you're not gonna increase your contact even if it increases your bat speed, it won't make you "hit it where they ain't." It's not gonna improve your breaking ball. You can either do it or you can't.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 05, 2022 05:51PM
Vis... I'm taking a performance enhancer - a steroid-enhanced inhaler (smoke from the last two fire seasons did a number on my lungs). The stuff is a wonder drug. It heals everything overnight so that my lungs feel good and fresh to start the day.

That's what steroids are used for - recovery - not just making you strong (and fast - think bat speed). Every little injury gets healed at the maximum rate. Dousing yourself in steroids would mean that you are at peak performance levels all the time unnaturally at the very least.

That said... many men are shy about infertility and don't really wanna talk about it with anyone. And why should they? It's personal and private. A Dr says, take this and it might help with your fertility issues... A smart guy would say 'yeah, but is it ok for the job to be using this stuff?'. Most would just take it and not even think about enhancement - just making a family.

That's why I thought it seemed like a reasonable story. NOW he realizes how stupid it was to do - he accepts the penalty. Most reasonable roid story I've heard to date...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 05, 2022 07:22PM
.....does it make his nipples.....tender.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 05, 2022 09:01PM
Yes, people are stupid. That is why teams employ doctors and medical staff to help players understand what they are putting in their body. I guarantee that players are specifically told to call certain staff on speed dial if they have any questions or get new prescriptions. Losing millions of dollars by not using a simple resource such as this just doesn’t hold water.

Fun fact, heavy anabolic steroid use can lead to a condition called Gyncomastia, whrere males grow breast tissue. Clomid is a non-surgical treatment for that condition.

More information on Anabolic steroids in a 12 minute video. The condition i mention above gets mentioned at about 9:48 but the rest of the info helps it all make more sense. [youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2022 07:01AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: April 06, 2022 07:04AM
hal
Vis... I'm taking a performance enhancer - a steroid-enhanced inhaler (smoke from the last two fire seasons did a number on my lungs). The stuff is a wonder drug. It heals everything overnight so that my lungs feel good and fresh to start the day.

That's what steroids are used for - recovery - not just making you strong (and fast - think bat speed). Every little injury gets healed at the maximum rate. Dousing yourself in steroids would mean that you are at peak performance levels all the time unnaturally at the very least.

That said... many men are shy about infertility and don't really wanna talk about it with anyone. And why should they? It's personal and private. A Dr says, take this and it might help with your fertility issues... A smart guy would say 'yeah, but is it ok for the job to be using this stuff?'. Most would just take it and not even think about enhancement - just making a family.

That's why I thought it seemed like a reasonable story. NOW he realizes how stupid it was to do - he accepts the penalty. Most reasonable roid story I've heard to date...

This isn’t the same kind of steroids as the anabolic ones that are used for performance enhancement. Ones like this, used for inflammation, are corticosteroids.
Date: April 06, 2022 08:44AM
RecipeForDisaster
hal

This isn’t the same kind of steroids as the anabolic ones that are used for performance enhancement. Ones like this, used for inflammation, are corticosteroids.

For a very private issue, he could have kept him and his wife’s fertility issues private. He used it to shield his wrongdoing. The team doctors and staff could have helped him stay in compliance. Many cortisteroids are cleared for use by MLB. This is why team medical staff is there, they know what to use and how much to stay within the rules. This is the equivalent of urinating on someone’s had and saying it is rain. The whole attempt at gaining sympathy for fertility issues is purely gaslighting. That’s why he isn’t appealing. Think about an appeal based on actual evidence and MLB turning him down, they would look like heartless monsters. He could use his platform to promote infertility struggles. He won’t because this is all a smokescreen for banned anabolic steroid use.

Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: April 06, 2022 08:49AM
pRICE cUBE
RecipeForDisaster
hal

For a very private issue, he could have kept him and his wife’s fertility issues private. He used it to shield his wrongdoing. The team doctors and staff could have helped him stay in compliance. Many cortisteroids are cleared for use by MLB. This is why team medical staff is there, they know what to use and how much to stay within the rules. This is the equivalent of urinating on someone’s had and saying it is rain. The whole attempt at gaining sympathy for fertility issues is purely gaslighting. That’s why he isn’t appealing. Think about an appeal based on actual evidence and MLB turning him down, they would look like heartless monsters. He could use his platform to promote infertility struggles. He won’t because this is all a smokescreen for banned anabolic steroid use.

I think you’re right, but I want to clarify that corticosteroids really don’t have much to do with Clomid - that would correspond to the anabolic kind.
Date: April 06, 2022 09:35AM
RecipeForDisaster
pRICE cUBE
RecipeForDisaster
hal

I think you’re right, but I want to clarify that corticosteroids really don’t have much to do with Clomid - that would correspond to the anabolic kind.

Yep, Clomid is not Anabolic Stroid, it’s a classic masking agent. Barry Bonds also tested positive for Clomid multiple times [vault.si.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020