advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Windows on an M1 ? Parallels ? Other tools ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 08, 2022 08:43AM
So I took one for the team and bought an MBA M1 last week. Walked into the Apple store, said "What ya got in inventory ?" and walked out with an MBA 16G/1TB. It's one slick machine. So light ! So fast ! Such battery ! Wow.

And now I need to run a Windows software package on it for stuff for my mother's estate.

I'm thinking Parallels, but I'm looking for advice from the Brain Trust. TIA !
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Windows on an M1 ? Parallels ? Other tools ?
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 08, 2022 09:20AM
VMware’s fusion is not out yet, and it seems they are are prioritizing Linux, so it seems parallels is the way to go now.

Leader!!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 08, 2022 09:29AM
used Parallels years ago and wasn't impressed. But years ago.
Just installed VBox to run W10 with apps I need to learn.

After Windows gets done installing a myriad of updates, it runs pretty well.
The dynamic screen size takes a few secs to settle. But once I selected a size it was fine.

Bfugly looking interface. I was gonna use W7 as I had with a previous use of VBox, but I wasn't certain the app I needed to learn might not stress W7.

Irritates the hell out of me that so much pro audio is still developed and stays with W instead of Mac OS. I don't mean Pro Tools the app, I mean more vertical market kind of apps. In this case, RF communications.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: April 08, 2022 11:14AM
I use Parallels as well on a much older MBP & consider it clunky junky...won't be renewing my annual license.

Can you still use Bootcamp on that machine?

Or VirtualBox or VmWare?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2022 11:17AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 08, 2022 11:58AM
Looks like you could install a trial of Parallels and see if it works for you.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 08, 2022 12:20PM
Bill,

You know you can still purchase a stand-alone, non-subscription version of Parallels, right? That's what I did several months ago when I discovered that Parallels was the only app that allowed me to create a virtual machines and successfully install OS X Mojave on it. Tried VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox. Both resulted in failure. Couldn't get the OS to install on virtual machines created with them. Parallels? Easy peasy. Did it on my first try and subsequent tries for other virtual machines running that OS. This alone dictates staying with Parallels.

Robert
Posted by: chopper
Date: April 08, 2022 12:36PM
I just fired up an old iMac with Win 7 on it. I am now trying to find my way with the OS. It seems zippier but you know dang well that's because the OS is so full of holes it would not hold any water.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 08, 2022 03:13PM
I think that the only version of Windows you can run on an M1 under parallels is the ARM version, which I’m given to believe is not very mature or stable.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 08, 2022 03:23PM
Bill in NC
I use Parallels as well on a much older MBP & consider it clunky junky...won't be renewing my annual license.

Can you still use Bootcamp on that machine?

Or VirtualBox or VmWare?

As I understand it, no Boot Camp on Apple Silicon machines.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 08, 2022 05:20PM
Did you throw out all your previous Intel Macs? Is there some requirement where you can only bring one computer at a time and you needed an Apple silicon laptop?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: April 08, 2022 06:08PM
cbelt3
And now I need to run a Windows software package on it for stuff for my mother's estate.

I'm thinking Parallels

VMware Fusion uses the native macOS hypervisor, i.e. it does not require kernel extensions. It's also free for non-commercial use! However, M1-native Fusion is currently in beta but only supports ARM-native guest OSs. Until and unless Microsoft allows an ARM version of Windows to be a guest OS you're out of luck for running Windows.

[blogs.vmware.com]
[www.vmware.com]

Parallels would be a very distant second choice for me. Does anyone know if they have a solution to run x86-based Windows on Apple silicon?
Posted by: Forrest
Date: April 08, 2022 11:22PM
Considering the cost and time to get Windows 10 working well on your MBA, you may want to consider the Evolve III Maestro E-Book 11.6" Laptop Computer - Dark Grey
Intel Celeron N3450 1.1GHz Processor; 4GB LPDDR4-2133 RAM; 64GB ROM Data Storage; Intel HD Graphics 500 available at Microcenter on sale for $79.99
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 09, 2022 05:48AM
I run Windows 10 in Parallels on a 2019 MBP (so not an M1) and it runs great. I run it in coherence mode so it’s not just a window with Windows running inside. Granted I do t use it for much but it does what I need.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020