Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
M1 Ultra vs M1 Max: Head-to-head photo and video apps
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 08, 2022 09:03AM
[m.dpreview.com]

When the M1 Ultra arrived at the DPReview offices, we weren't sure what to expect. Twice as much hardware rarely translates into 2x the performance, but it's also rare that you get a APU that's literally just two of the previous generation APU fused together.

My guess going into these tests was that video editing would see the biggest bump, photo editing wouldn't benefit much, and neither would benefit by 2x because the kinds of creative workflows we test just don't need 128GB of RAM and 64 GPU cores. I was wrong. Of all the use cases we tested, it seems that photo editors who rely on LRC are going to see the biggest performance improvement if they upgrade from the M1 Max to the M1 Ultra, while video editors using either Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro will have to settle for a smaller performance bump.

It seems that photo editors who rely on Lightroom are going to see the biggest performance improvement if they upgrade from the M1 Max to the M1 Ultra, while video editors using either Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro will have to settle for a smaller performance bump.
Only you know your workflow and how much time a 10% or 20% speed boost will buy you, but for most users it's probably not going to be worth spending the extra $3,000 required to get double the CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: M1 Ultra vs M1 Max: Head-to-head photo and video apps
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 08, 2022 11:20PM
M1
M1 Pro
M1 Max
M1 Ultra

what's next, M1 SuperDuper?
M1 Gold?

Still based on the A14.
Where is the A15/M2?
Why no M1 Pro Mac Mini?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 08, 2022 11:51PM
Rolando
M1
M1 Pro
M1 Max
M1 Ultra

what's next, M1 SuperDuper?
M1 Gold?

Still based on the A14.
Where is the A15/M2?
Why no M1 Pro Mac Mini?

M1 Pro Ultra Max X.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: decay
Date: April 10, 2022 08:56PM
I am waiting for the M1 Micro Mini Pequeño

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020