advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Airlines: United or Delta?
Posted by: gadje
Date: April 10, 2022 03:09PM
Both have decent connections. I plan to travel to Asia and Europe. I might as well get their credit card.

So, which one has better rewards programs, fewer blackout dates, easier to upgrade from couch to premium or first class?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Airlines: United or Delta?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 10, 2022 03:34PM
I don't know much about United, but I pretty much stopped flying Delta (which if you live in Atlanta is not easy to do) out of frustration with the SkyMiles program. The airline is constantly changing the rules and deprecating the value of mileage, it gets harder to get a reward seat seemingly every month.

By contrast (although the routes are very limited internationally), Southwest is a breeze to use for reward travel. It was a true godsend while my father in law was passing last year to be able to book and change flights on a moment's notice without having to worry about change fees.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 10, 2022 04:32PM
I don't know anything about the stuff you were asking about, but you could not PAY me to ever fly Delta again. cursing smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: dk62
Date: April 10, 2022 04:40PM
United has been good to me, I have to say. But it is definitely worse than it was several years back and nothing beat US Air before merger with American. And Star Alliance probably has more lounges and other partner airline options compared with Sky Team. Before Covid i was making 6-15 international trips a year, of which 80% in paid business class. The rest was personal but I never had to travel coach for my personal international trips over the last 20 years, always got upgraded (true for both US Air and United). But if you are lower than 1K on United, that's probably not going to happen. And for domestic trips, even 1K customers are less than 50% likely to be upgraded, even when using points, particularly if flying from a hub. You need to be Global Services for that. I don't know about Delta.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2022 04:41PM by dk62.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 10, 2022 05:54PM
Kinda like asking if you'd rather puke from food poisoning or allergic reaction.

They're both my least favorite airlines.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 10, 2022 05:56PM
....United used to be better but have since 'devalued' their FF program.....still many business flyers still use it to earn points.....the same way that many business travelers use Marriott...

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: April 10, 2022 06:41PM
The best times were when you were able to fly partner airlines and earn status. Europe: Swiss (Star Alliance) or Air France (Sky Team); Asia: ANA, Singapore, or EVA (Star Alliance) and China Airlines and Korean (Sky Team) are all great and leaps and bounds above any US airlines. But as of a few years back, you have to get United or Delta tickets in order to earn status on them, and that sucks. Of course, if you know that most of your travel will be international and do not care about status in the US, you could get one of the international FF programs. There are places on the Web where you can compare them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2022 06:43PM by dk62.
Posted by: stephen
Date: April 10, 2022 09:15PM
Still a Delta fan. But you need status to feel comfortable.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 11, 2022 11:48AM
Delta has been good the last 2 trips I made.
One to Turks and Caicos some years ago.
And last xmas to MCO to JFK RT.
Friends that still fly a lot for work prefer Delta over any other, domestically.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 11, 2022 01:32PM
dk62
The best times were when you were able to fly partner airlines and earn status. Europe: Swiss (Star Alliance) or Air France (Sky Team); Asia: ANA, Singapore, or EVA (Star Alliance) and China Airlines and Korean (Sky Team) are all great and leaps and bounds above any US airlines. But as of a few years back, you have to get United or Delta tickets in order to earn status on them, and that sucks. Of course, if you know that most of your travel will be international and do not care about status in the US, you could get one of the international FF programs. There are places on the Web where you can compare them.

agree smiley

"Partner" airlines are often superior to either United or Delta.

Through United, we've flown Lufthansa, Singapore and Turkish; all superior to United.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 11, 2022 08:59PM
DeusxMac
"Partner" airlines are often superior to either United or Delta.

Through United, we've flown Lufthansa, Singapore and Turkish; all superior to United.

National carriers subsidized more than ours (yes, I know, hard to believe.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 12, 2022 07:04AM
For me, I will never fly United again - I'm very loyal to Delta.
Date: April 12, 2022 10:06AM
I think the bottom line is that if you fly internationally a lot, and thus can get high status (at least Platinum, preferably higher), either will do nicely. If you do not have status, both will likely be terrible and something like Southwest would be better domestically. Without chasing status, choose international airlines for international travel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020