advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Followup to my post yesterday on Adobe CS3 upgrade.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 28, 2007 04:48PM
I just purchased upgrades to CS2.3 Premium from Photoshop 7 (no path from the original Design Collection that I have), one for Mac and one for PC from CDW - $765.45 each.

Also got Quark 7 upgrade for $198.60.

I'll let you know if my plan for a free upgrade to CS3 from Adobe works out. If so, I will have saved a nice piece of change going form PS7 to CS3 Design Premium.

If anyone else can confirm the continuation of Adobe's free upgrade policy I'd appreciate it.

TIA

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Followup to my post yesterday on Adobe CS3 upgrade.
Posted by: clay
Date: March 28, 2007 04:58PM
JoeM,

I can't give any answer to your question, but I'm interested in knowing whether the free upgrade works for you as well. I have Photoshop 7 also, and would love to make the jump to the cs3 suite, especially if one can get the free upgrade.

keep us posted
Posted by: clay
Date: March 28, 2007 04:59PM
just found this article. looks like you should get the free upgrade, but it's not direct from adobe, so who knows for sure:

[photoshopnews.com]
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: March 28, 2007 05:01PM
You mention the Quark 7 upgrade... what version are you upgrading from?

Just be aware (like a friendly warning from one Quark user to another) that version 7 is, according to many, and even me, a very odd upgrade. It seems to have very high system requirements, and nothing really compelling to upgrade for. And, it doesn't seem to be very responsive on machines slower than G5s.

There's a ton of info on the 'net about it, and you're probably going to see that version 7 isn't a problem for some. But, for me, it is painful to work with. I'm sticking with version 6 for now.

Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2007 05:02PM by kj4btkljv.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 28, 2007 05:51PM
Actually, Quark 7 is dog ass slow on any slower than an intel mac

running it on G5s and G4s -- slow, slow, slow

stick with 6.5 if you dont use Quark a lot

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: March 28, 2007 07:42PM
kj4btkljv
Just be aware (like a friendly warning from one Quark user to another) that version 7 is, according to many, and even me, a very odd upgrade.

Does it still truncate support file names when you collect for output? How 1980s of them. Sheesh.
Date: March 28, 2007 08:16PM
clay
JoeM,

I can't give any answer to your question, but I'm interested in knowing whether the free upgrade works for you as well. I have Photoshop 7 also, and would love to make the jump to the cs3 suite, especially if one can get the free upgrade.

keep us posted

clay,

According to the adobe rep yesterday, you would need to purchase CS2.3 between 3/18 and 3/31 to qualify. Then you would have to prove date of purchase for the free update.

I would think you would be eligible if until CS3 was shipping and maybe a few weeks thereafter but I have no info that confirms that.

JoeM
Date: March 28, 2007 08:19PM
kj4btkljv
You mention the Quark 7 upgrade... what version are you upgrading from?

Just be aware (like a friendly warning from one Quark user to another) that version 7 is, according to many, and even me, a very odd upgrade. It seems to have very high system requirements, and nothing really compelling to upgrade for. And, it doesn't seem to be very responsive on machines slower than G5s.

There's a ton of info on the 'net about it, and you're probably going to see that version 7 isn't a problem for some. But, for me, it is painful to work with. I'm sticking with version 6 for now.

Jeff

I'm upgrading from 5. I wish I had gotten 6 but never got it. I'm getting an Intel Mac soon (waiting for final approval now) so I should be OK.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020