advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nikon turns the tables on Canon in the prestige battle and shows they have yet begun to fight?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: April 12, 2022 12:21PM
As many of you know, I am a long time Nikon users and critic. I will always call it like I see it.

Nikon looked dead in the water six months ago and I had advocated for Apple to buy them up. They were taking a beating from Sony and Canon and had no must have products. They had slipped to third place in MILC sales. Nikon mirrorless cameras and lenses weren't the envy of the ball and the lenses are nice but not flashy.

Now the tables have not turned as the Z9, 400mm 2.8 TC, and 800mm 6.3 were announced. The Z9 is arguably the top MILC body on the market. The feature set at $5000 meets or exceeds the $6500 Sony A1 and Canon R3. The 400mm 2.8 is not only as light as the Sony and Canon versions, but has the convenient 1.4x teleconverter but in that can be activated/deactivated by pressing a switch. The 800mm 6.3 for $6500 is approximately 1/3 of the price of the Canon 800mm 5.6.

While things are looking up for Nikon, they are not out of the woods yet. The previously mentioned prestigious products all have something in common, they are all over $5500 in price. The average hobbyists, weekend warriors, and aspiring pros may not be able to afford such premium equipment. Nikon needs to get some of the Z9 features into the other cameras immediately. Product cycle be darned. Nikon currently cannot manufacture enough Z9 to meet demand and may not be able to do so for another year. Nikon needs non pros and budget spenders to but non premium Nikon gear if they hope to survive against the Sony and Canon onslaught.

Some Canon users are furious about the $17,000 800mm while Nikon announced their $6500 model. The comments section is full of seething users.
[www.canonrumors.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nikon turns the tables on Canon in the prestige battle and shows they have yet begun to fight?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 12, 2022 01:17PM

Re: Nikon turns the tables on Canon in the prestige battle and shows they have yet begun to fight?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 12, 2022 03:15PM
Does the new Nikon 400 exist yet? Because the 800 doesn't. An announcement of vapor doesn't help you get your work done.

Date: April 12, 2022 03:27PM
AllGold
Does the new Nikon 400 exist yet? Because the 800 doesn't. An announcement of vapor doesn't help you get your work done.

Nothing is shipping beside the Z9 but the psychological game is has a big momentum swing. The Canonrumors.com comments are quite telling. The one thing worse than not introducing good gear is feeling like you are grossly overpaying for it.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: April 12, 2022 03:31PM
pRICE cUBE
AllGold

Nothing is shipping beside the Z9 but the psychological game is has a big momentum swing. The Canonrumors.com comments are quite telling. The one thing worse than not introducing good gear is feeling like you are grossly overpaying for it.

So all Canon has to do is announce a bunch of cool stuff to make people happy (and who cares when or if it ever ships)? grinning smiley

It sounds like Nikon is just desperate to keep people from jumping ship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2022 03:32PM by AllGold.
Date: April 12, 2022 04:33PM
AllGold
pRICE cUBE
AllGold

So all Canon has to do is announce a bunch of cool stuff to make people happy (and who cares when or if it ever ships)? grinning smiley

It sounds like Nikon is just desperate to keep people from jumping ship.

Pretty much a Jedi mind trick by Nikon. It has some Canon users feeling like they have been overcharged and Canon is an arrogant company.

Date: April 12, 2022 04:50PM
Haha, Canon users have been overcharged and Canon is an arrogant company. But Canon is still outselling Nikon by far.

Posted by: chopper
Date: April 12, 2022 05:57PM
Great time to buy used glass as the Nikon peeps leave the party.
Date: April 12, 2022 06:56PM
AllGold
Haha, Canon users have been overcharged and Canon is an arrogant company. But Canon is still outselling Nikon by far.

I am encouraged by the competition of not only cameras and lenses, but price. The Oligopoly of Canon, Nikon, and Sony has mostly seen price escalation. With Nikon falling into third, they had to respond with more than just products.

Posted by: zachdog
Date: April 13, 2022 10:01AM
I think Nikon is making some needed corrections. Their f/1.8 primes are excellent, but carry a 50% premium in price over the F-mount equivalent lenses. I think that halted a lot of early adoptions of their Z-line (myself included).

Their more recent introductions, including these telephoto lenses, their 24-120 and 28-75mm Zooms, and their cheaper 40mm and 28mm, are making the lineup more attractive. And, the Z9 is pretty spectacular. Not perfect, but better than the competition.

You're right -- now Nikon needs to bring some of the technology from the Z9 to their other bodies.

Oh, and we need an affordable 70-300mm lens for full-frame and more affordable choices for DX.

I'm quite happy with the Z5 I purchased, although I still use my older D7200 in low light.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 13, 2022 02:01PM
They’re all playing in the same space now. It just took Canon and Nikon time to answer Sony’s modern AF. Everything else flows from that, just as it did when EOS went unanswered by Nikon for years, and was not competitive for more years.

In ‘87-‘89 every FD-lens shooter was convinced the world ended. It was worse for Nikon, who still had the pro market and lost it by actually betting professionals wouldn’t care at all about AF.
Date: April 13, 2022 07:42PM
deckeda
They’re all playing in the same space now. It just took Canon and Nikon time to answer Sony’s modern AF. Everything else flows from that, just as it did when EOS went unanswered by Nikon for years, and was not competitive for more years.

Canon was able to get into the MILC game and match Sony sooner because they had been tinkering with on imaging sensor AF for many years. I recall Canon SLR had Dual Pixel AF systems since the 80D if I recall correctly. Once Canon jumped, they went at it with more force than Nikon. Nikon doesn't make their own sensors like Canon and Sony do and were at the mercy of third party suppliers.

deckeda
In ‘87-‘89 every FD-lens shooter was convinced the world ended. It was worse for Nikon, who still had the pro market and lost it by actually betting professionals wouldn’t care at all about AF.

When I got into the professional journalism realm, some of the colleague is had still manually focused Nikon 400mm lenses even if the lens had AF in it. I shot Canon and utilized AF because I stunk at MF. I got endless grief about "cheating" for the imaged I would bring back. I didn't care because I was fiercely competitive and hated losing to the rival newspaper. In a few years, all those Nikon manual focus stalwarts would be using Nikon 1DH and then Canon 1D Mark 2n camera utilizing autofocus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2022 12:31PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: April 13, 2022 07:43PM
zachdog
I'm quite happy with the Z5 I purchased, although I still use my older D7200 in low light.

Can you elaborate on why you do this? Is the AF not reliable in low light action? Is it the image quality?

Posted by: vision63
Date: April 14, 2022 12:19PM
pRICE cUBE
deckeda

Canon was able to get into the MILC game and match Sony sooner because they had been tinkering with on imaging sensor AF for many years. I recall Canon SLR had Dual Pixel AF systems since the 80D if I recall correctly. Once Canon jumped, they went at it with more force than Nikon. Nikon doesn't make their own sensors like Canon and Sony do and were at the mercy of third party suppliers.

deckeda

When I got into the professional journalism realm, some of the colleague is had still manually focused Nikon 400mm lenses even if the lens had AF in it. I shot Canon and utilized AF because I stunk at AF. I got endless fried about "cheating" for the imaged I would bring back. I didn't care because I was fiercely competitive and hated losing to the rival newspaper. In a few years, all those Nikon manual focus stalwarts would be using Nikon 1DH and then Canon 1D Mark 2n camera utilizing autofocus.

You should have roasted their butts.
Date: April 14, 2022 02:17PM
vision63
pRICE cUBE
deckeda

deckeda

When I got into the professional journalism realm, some of the colleague is had still manually focused Nikon 400mm lenses even if the lens had AF in it. I shot Canon and utilized AF because I stunk at AF. I got endless fried about "cheating" for the imaged I would bring back. I didn't care because I was fiercely competitive and hated losing to the rival newspaper. In a few years, all those Nikon manual focus stalwarts would be using Nikon 1DH and then Canon 1D Mark 2n camera utilizing autofocus.

It would have been fun but I was too busy taking care of business against the competition burnout smiley

Posted by: vision63
Date: April 14, 2022 05:32PM
pRICE cUBE
vision63
pRICE cUBE
deckeda

deckeda

It would have been fun but I was too busy taking care of business against the competition burnout smiley

I know you were really busy then. You should have given me their names and email addy's to do it. You know I would have enjoyed doing it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020