advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
is ATT the best?
Posted by: roshi
Date: April 12, 2022 01:07PM
I've had At&T for 25 years, and have three phone lines. Are they the best or should I look at other provides?

thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: is ATT the best?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 12, 2022 01:11PM
If you're happy with them there's no reason to switch. That said, there are less expensive carriers.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 12, 2022 01:19PM
roshi,

Agree with Matt. However, service quality is _very_ dependent on your location. AT&T is overall excellent where I am on Long Island in NY. It may not be remotely as good in other areas. Just like Verizon is horrible in a particular area near where I live but excellent in places adjacent to the area that has awful service. Then you have to factor in cost, which is an entirely different can of worms.

Robert
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 12, 2022 01:25PM
Maybe "least bad" is a better descriptor. That said, I've been on ATT cell phones for 15 years, ATT internet for at least 6. Very reliable.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 12, 2022 01:36PM
Agree with all the above.

We have been ATT/cingualr whatever for our cell phones for 20+ years. Always great here in Nor CA.

For TV, we have had Uverse, then Direct TV and now DTV. also great. Never an outage. smooth.

For net, we have also had Uverse. SDSL with constant 55/15 speeds -- again, always great. No xfinity slowdowns, hardware worked great, no complaints.

New house had to have xfinity for a few months... awful signal, stupid slow uploads, and price... ugh.

Moved back to ATT FiOS (300/300) and DTV -- awesome. Net blazes, TV doesn't need boxes, and unlimited bandwidth. smiley-score010

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 12, 2022 02:58PM

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 12, 2022 03:48PM
When it works, it's fine, although you can find better pricing on literally every service they sell. When it doesn't, the Death Star is a miserable pit of what Clark Howard calls "Customer No-Service." That's the real catch.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 12, 2022 04:00PM
I've been a steady customer since my 1st iPhone. Only choices up this way are either AT&T or Verizon.

I seem to hear more complaints with Verizon than AT&T. At least, in my neck of the woods.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 12, 2022 04:17PM
When I was the IT Department for a nationwide company with 12 sites, we(ie 'I') settled on AT&T because it sucked the least in the most places. Individual sites would push for Verizon or T-Mobile, but AT&T was the only provider that was marginally functional for every site.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 12, 2022 04:32PM
Rick-o
I've been a steady customer since my 1st iPhone. Only choices up this way are either AT&T or Verizon.

I seem to hear more complaints with Verizon than AT&T. At least, in my neck of the woods.

Check the MVNOs. They use the same networks and will give you much better pricing.

[www.whistleout.com]
Date: April 12, 2022 05:46PM
Will Collier
Rick-o

Check the MVNOs. They use the same networks and will give you much better pricing.

[www.whistleout.com]

this

Posted by: testcase
Date: April 12, 2022 09:58PM
" Are they the best"

Definitely MAYBE. Too many variables to give a pat answer. As already mentioned, a LOT has to do with EXACTLY where you happen to be.

Spend an hour or so online and see reviews from ACTUAL users. Even if you ARE happy with AT&T, you could (should?) go to an AT&T company store and let them know you're checking your options. If they don't volunteer to "help" you, ask OUTRIGHT "what can AT&T do for me to keep me as a customer". You might get comped a deluxe phone(s) (or at least a hefty discount). If they do that, be aware that they're likely to try and lock you in for 24 ~ 36 months or face heavy penalties if you leave early.

Checking with T-Mobile and Verizon would be a prudent move too. I would check AT&T competitors before I walked into an AT&T company store. That way, you'll know in advance what other carriers are willing to do to get you to switch.
Date: April 12, 2022 10:24PM
I use a plan from redpocket which uses the at&t network. We paid $240/yr/per line for 8GB/month. So $20/month for service. Its been a while since I priced out AT&T plans

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 13, 2022 08:26AM
Depends entirely on where you live, work, and travel to.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 13, 2022 11:27AM
mattkime
Will Collier
Rick-o

[www.whistleout.com]

this

Hey! Thanks! I'm always in for a better deal! thumbs up

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 16, 2022 09:54PM
AT&T is currently airing ads on TV stating EVERYONE gets a "FREE" iPhone13. I expect AT&T will "lock you in" to them for 24 ~ 40 months and, if you leave early, you'll pay a hefty "termination fee". Since you've indicated the you're a long time AT&T customer and, have generally been satisfied with AT&T, this might be the best deal you can get.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020